Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JFK Supercharger - NYC first TESLA TAXI CAB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I have been racking my brains out trying to figure out why did Telsa put in a SC at JFK Airport? I think it's because NYC will introduce the first TESLA TAXI CAB. With 250 mile range it's more than enough to make runs back and forth from midtown to JFK before charging up. Also the cabs usually have to wait at least 30 minutes or more to pick up passengers so I'm expecting a HUGE announcement.

Any comments??

It also means any Model S owners can park at JFK, and not worry about their State of Charge, if they are going on an extended trip. When they get back, they can simply meander over to the nearby SuperCharger, and charge, then drive home. It's a real advantage over other manufacturers EVs who have to fight it out to find J-1772 spaces in long term parking, the Model S owner simply doesn't need to worry about it.

It also means any Model S owners can park at JFK, and not worry about their State of Charge, if they are going on an extended trip. When they get back, they can simply meander over to the nearby SuperCharger, and charge, then drive home. It's a real advantage over other manufacturers EVs who have to fight it out to find J-1772 spaces in long term parking, the Model S owner simply doesn't need to worry about it.

I'd be concerned about the inconsiderate so-and-so who will park at an SC for a multi-day trip. Especially when a 120V or 240V outlet would serve every bit as good or better for that purpose.

I'd be concerned about the inconsiderate so-and-so who will park at an SC for a multi-day trip. Especially when a 120V or 240V outlet would serve every bit as good or better for that purpose.

Re-read what I wrote. No one is "parked" at a SuperCharger. You park in long term parking, when you get back from your trip, you find your way to the JFK SuperCharger, which sounds like it's onsite, and charge up for your drive home. You no longer have to be concerned with charging and finding a J-1772 spot or 120V outlet while you're gone, and the SOC of your Model S while you are away.

Re-read what I wrote. No one is "parked" at a SuperCharger. You park in long term parking, when you get back from your trip, you find your way to the JFK SuperCharger, which sounds like it's onsite, and charge up for your drive home. You no longer have to be concerned with charging and finding a J-1772 spot or 120V outlet while you're gone, and the SOC of your Model S while you are away.

You read what he said, but didn't understand his meaning. What happens if you park in long term parking expecting to charge on your return trip so you can get home only to find out that several other owners left their cars there for days?

You read what he said, but didn't understand his meaning. What happens if you park in long term parking expecting to charge on your return trip so you can get home only to find out that several other owners left their cars there for days?

I imagine Tesla will get complaints, since they have access to the vehicles, they can contact the owners via email and phone, and ask them to move the vehicle. If they are not reachable, I imagine at some point Tesla may decide to tow the cars or use "Dolly's" to relocate the cars to nearby non-supercharger parking spaces, but they'll probably need to use their own service center people to do it, for liability reasons. If it becomes an issue, they'll put up signs that state NOT to leave vehicles for extended time periods.

Also note that the JFK SuperChargers are not walking distance to the terminals, so I doubt this is going to become an issue.

As an ex NYC cabbie I applaud this possibility. But aren't there already some MS cabs in LA or SF? Photos??

NYers know: one doesn't mess with the Parking Regulations. They'll tow you in a New York Minute. Very cost-effective for the City.
--

Last edited:
This is exactly the reason I believe there was talk about Tesla putting a Supercharger in Grapevine, TX. It would be at the North entrance of DFW airport and could serve a TON of taxis, towncars, and both east/west and north/south travelers. I would think that SC location would need to be VERY large to accommodate everyone.

In any case, it is great that Tesla is placing a SC in the New York area. I am sort of at a loss for why they have not considered Long Island, perhaps just into Suffolk County near 495 and Rte 110. For commuters and especially for those who have to make customer visits, this would assist in charging quickly to pick up the necessary milage to go into NYC and back to points on LI. Also would make it for the many who work in NJ and travel from LI. the LIE (495) also has the HOV lane for electric vehicles.

Clearly tesla will notice if that becomes an issue and will adjust accordingly because they will be forced to either act or build another sc location

All they have to do is be diligent about towing people that are parking long term out. Perhaps all supercharger should have a 2 hour parking limit? Is that enough time to get a dead 85kw battery to 95% SOC?

All ICE's should be towed on the spot. I wish they would do that with J1772 spots too.