Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have blocked off access to the majority of the parking spaces in the lot with the superchargers.
So the one open lane with the superchargers is now a dead end.
Anybody know what the cars inside the blocked off area are? They all seem to be somewhat new so maybe rental cars?

Last time I was there the place was overrun with idling black "for hire" town-cars that I assumed were waiting to pick up folks at the airport. From your picture they just look like normal vehicles though.

Situations described here convinced me that when I drove to Long Island from Buffalo 2 weeks ago that I should leave my Model S at home and take our Prius. I also took a look at the Syosset SC and noted that 2 of the 4 stalls were blocked by Teslas that were NOT PLUGGED IN! A third stall was being used and the fourth was available. The SC situation in Metro NY leaves much to be desired.

I should leave my Model S at home and take our Prius
I'm really sorry you felt you had to make that choice. To me, unless the destination has NO superchargers, like North Dakota, then I'd be having serious thoughts about an ICE. And even then, I find myself wondering whether I can get by on destination charging. Having an S and making a decision not to drive it just feels wrong. Our east coast coverage isn't as good as Cali's.... yet.

Situations described here convinced me that when I drove to Long Island from Buffalo 2 weeks ago that I should leave my Model S at home and take our Prius. I also took a look at the Syosset SC and noted that 2 of the 4 stalls were blocked by Teslas that were NOT PLUGGED IN! A third stall was being used and the fourth was available. The SC situation in Metro NY leaves much to be desired.

If you went at a time they were open, they are pretty good about moving cars there. I live near there and visit it about once every two months when I need a quick boost. It is usually during off times but it is a very crowded SC. The new one in the Hamptons should alleviate this a bit.

If you went at a time they were open, they are pretty good about moving cars there. I live near there and visit it about once every two months when I need a quick boost. It is usually during off times but it is a very crowded SC. The new one in the Hamptons should alleviate this a bit.

I'm still waiting for the one promised for Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe.

Reactions: jthompson
This was the second time I've charged there, about a year apart, and same slow speeds. Maybe it's slowed down during high load times?

I don't understand. I stop there several times a year and they have been very fast for me. The only issue I had was some ICEing, but at least one space was open. Last visit, there was construction in the parking lot right in front of the SC's. Not sure what that's all about, but the lemo drivers lost a bunch of their regular spaces, so they moved into the SC spaces. I called and reported to Tesla. Funny, there was a Prius ICEing one space and he moved as soon as he saw me taking pics of him. ha ha ha Get along there, little doggy!

Last edited:
I don't understand. I stop there several times a year and they have been very fast for me. The only issue I had was some ICEing, but at least one space was alway open. Last visit, there was construction in the parking lot right in front of the SC's. Not sure what that's all about, but the lemo drivers lost a bunch of their regular spaces, so they moved into the SC spaces. I called and reported to Tesla. Funny, there was a Prius ICEing one space and he moved as soon as he saw me taking pics of him. ha ha ha Get along there, little doggy!

However, the Syosset SC was very slow for me and I won't be using that one again.

Who knows, maybe this station will be replaced and upgraded like Newark. Or, will get closed like Bethesda. Be careful what you wish for and complain about. Plugshare gives it a 10 rating. Maybe Tesla is slow charging frequent users.

The Bethesda SC was always temporary. It was never easy getting in there anyway with all the mall traffic. The permanent location is now under construction not too far away in Laurel, MD.

I definitely missed having my Model S that week but I didn't miss not having to worry about some idiot in Brooklyn side swiping my baby. I also discovered that the Hilton hotel we stayed at in Melville had just installed 2 level 2 chargers on site (at 70 cents/hr.). I added them to Plugshare. Might have altered my calculus. To try to make up for the lower level GPS navigation in our 2008 Prius I actually was running a traffic enabled Garmin GPS for street level views just to the left of the center cluster and using the built in GPS for a more expansive route view that partially emulated my Model S functionality. Still a poor substitute. The driving experience was like night and day.
It's nice that the people in Syosset will move their cars out of the Supercharger spots when asked. The question is what the hell are they doing parking them there in the first place!