Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Valley stream superchargers are now open........ only charge at 74kw.
16 stalls

Attachments

• D4A12BD5-E968-4037-B77B-AE626830D259.jpeg
    D4A12BD5-E968-4037-B77B-AE626830D259.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: Galve2000
If you’re ever desperate for a charge and JFK is backed up, there are new 150 kW chargers at the nearby cell phone lot.
At least two of the stalls even come with Chademo adapters for Teslas.

Attachments

• 34FD8856-DB32-43AE-B8CF-45DD7C8C89AE.jpeg
    34FD8856-DB32-43AE-B8CF-45DD7C8C89AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • ACB4AAB1-4E95-452A-9516-82AC683F5AF4.jpeg
    ACB4AAB1-4E95-452A-9516-82AC683F5AF4.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 1FA0863D-EFA4-458C-A7BD-4B5C1875DC04.jpeg
    1FA0863D-EFA4-458C-A7BD-4B5C1875DC04.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 139
If you’re ever desperate for a charge and JFK is backed up, there are new 150 kW chargers at the nearby cell phone lot.
At least two of the stalls even come with Chademo adapters for Teslas.​

That's very cool! how much does it cost?

Does JFK SCer get backed up often? I have only used 2-3 times myself b/c it is a pain to get to from the city, but I grew up in the shadow of the Verrazano Bridge and the Belt, so I can see how it might be useful for some.

I had a chance to stop by the Superchargers being installed at JFK yesterday and take a couple of pictures.

They are being installed at the new JFK Airport Travel Plaza JFK Travel Plaza at 150 Ave and 147th Street, Queens NY. I tried a few things to have the Tesla Nav system take me directly there, but I couldn't get the system to navigate to the exact correct place, especially because I wasn't sure exactly where it was! Once you know where it is, it's an easy on/off of the highway.

It looks like they have all the equipment there, and conduit run, but no cables are pulled yet, so it still has a ways to go... I'm told that the next step is an inspection on Monday.

Oh, the full location is under construction still, but is nearing completion. Along with gas, they will also have CNG fueling, a larger indoor eating area, free wifi, etc.

Peter

View attachment 36902View attachment 36904View attachment 36906View attachment 36905View attachment 36903View attachment 36908View attachment 36907

I haven't looked and will never use but that is the first public cng filler I've ever seen except at the aqmd office in diamond Barr California - then I haven't been East of the Mississippi since '74

I was there the other day. That entire area is fenced off, including the parking spots next to the SCs where Black Cars used to park. The cabinets and chargers themselves were disconnected and moved and put next to each other on the asphalt. Not sure what is happening. My first thought was perhaps they are going to put in more chargers and upgrade them. That are would easily fit 8-10 chargers.

I was there the other day. That entire area is fenced off, including the parking spots next to the SCs where Black Cars used to park. The cabinets and chargers themselves were disconnected and moved and put next to each other on the asphalt. Not sure what is happening. My first thought was perhaps they are going to put in more chargers and upgrade them. That are would easily fit 8-10 chargers.
It does look like they are putting in some more chargers. Here is a 811 Ticket from 2 weeks ago.

It does look like they are putting in some more chargers. Here is a 811 Ticket from 2 weeks ago.
I decided to swing by there today after I dropped somebody off at the airport. There was a lot of construction activity and I spoke to the Foreman. He said that there are going to be 12 V3 chargers and that they should be finished with their work by the end of next week. He said, however, that the long delays usually come from the utility companies. He couldn’t really guess when they would be operational.

Attachments

• 1ED92321-D2A4-4083-8447-72DF1DD2EA9F.jpeg
    1ED92321-D2A4-4083-8447-72DF1DD2EA9F.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 97
  • CBC7624E-EA37-42A0-A2AF-086E2C8AA524.jpeg
    CBC7624E-EA37-42A0-A2AF-086E2C8AA524.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 96
@corywright @Chuq

Please change SC.info status to temporary closed until the rebuild is finished and activated.

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
Perhaps this should be changed to a construction cone rather than a temporary closure since they’re installing 12 V3 chargers.
I thought about that, but if we set it to "under construction" then it could be interpreted as "open, but expansion under construction" to people who already knew about the previous Superchargers there. Setting it to temporary offline makes it clear that no Superchargers are online there.

People rely on supercharge.info and the apps that use our API for trip planning, so I think we should be cautious in situations like this. Ultimately we'll need to add more statuses to the supercharge.info backend to support scenarios like these.

Last edited:
I thought about that, but if we set it to "under construction" then it could be interpreted as "open, but expansion under construction" to people who already knew about the previous Superchargers there. Setting it to temporary offline makes it clear that no Superchargers are online there.

People rely on supercharge.info and the apps that use our API for trip planning, so I think we should be cautious in situations like this. Ultimately we'll need to add more statuses to the supercharge.info backend to support scenarios like these.
I'd suggest keeping the current status, power and stall count as site level.
Then add separate child data with status, power and stall count. That would keep it real, and help reflect the reality of mixed sites and expansions.

I decided to swing by there today after I dropped somebody off at the airport. There was a lot of construction activity and I spoke to the Foreman. He said that there are going to be 12 V3 chargers and that they should be finished with their work by the end of next week. He said, however, that the long delays usually come from the utility companies. He couldn’t really guess when they would be operational.
I checked out the site the other day, and I guess the Foreman I had spoken to was correct. The chargers are installed but they need to be hooked up and given final inspection. Nobody was there, although it was early (7am). The area is completely fenced off.
20211123_065619.jpg
20211123_065450.jpg

I checked out the site the other day, and I guess the Foreman I had spoken to was correct. The chargers are installed but they need to be hooked up and given final inspection. Nobody was there, although it was early (7am). The area is completely fenced off.View attachment 737007View attachment 737008

Your selfless scouting is much appreciated!

I hope this opens up soon. I try not to go to NYC often but on the few occasions I HAVE to this site has always been very very frustrating. Being a life long nyc person recently moved it has always infuriated me how bad nyc tesla infrastructure has always been. And it's not tesla fault but the scum that run this once great city.