Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jim Cramer from Mad Money says we are a cult

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By that definition, I'd say TSLA was a "cult stock" not long ago, but has, in the last 12 month or so, moved several steps past that level. Although once could argue even producing the Roadster already went past that definition.

Recently a gaggle of CNBC reporters were discussing TSLA (I think it was on the 10% rebound day after the 14% fall), and I heard Bob Paisani clearly say words to the effect of "I think Tesla has turned out to be a viable company." Sounded good.

Nigel, it seems you try to counter me in many places. This comment sounds counter for the sake of countering only, and a bit off topic.

I didn't take Nigel's post that way at all. In fact, I completely agree with it. 'Cults' are associated with blindly following another, not assessing for yourself.

I hope that everyone who has invested in TSLA is not blindly following, without evaluating the investment and their exposure. When Cramer called this a cult stock, he was insulting. He implied that many invest in TSLA because they believe hype and don't evaluate for themselves.

I have thought through risk factors (from my perspective), know what I can tolerate, and monitor all my investments closely. Hopefully everyone else does the same and is not guilty of being part of a 'cult-like following'.

When Cramer called this a cult stock, he was insulting. He implied that many invest in TSLA because they believe hype and don't evaluate for themselves.

I know this might be off-topic a bit but we are on the Cramer/cult thread. I've watched a lot of Cramer back in the day, and I am fairly sure that he doesn't mean "cult stock" as an insult to those who invest in those stocks. He's not talking about TSLA stock or investors as a religious cult (ie., blindly following or aberrant teachings, etc). He's referring to TSLA stock/followers in the sense of a cult following (ie., cult film/book/tv show). I don't think he meant anything derogatory.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_following:
A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment fans have with the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric, bizarre, controversial or anti-establishment to be appreciated by the general public.

I hope that everyone who has invested in TSLA is not blindly following, without evaluating the investment and their exposure. When Cramer called this a cult stock, he was insulting. He implied that many invest in TSLA because they believe hype and don't evaluate for themselves.

I have to disagree. "Insulting" is the the last thing I would read what Cramer means.

Now he explores a bit more on his opinion:

Cramer: Three Specs Powered by Lust - TheStreet

It is anything but "insulting".

What I am having problem with Nigel's comment is the condescending tone and assumption of people is naive or stupid. This is just one incident. To me that is "insulting".

I didn't take Nigel's post that way at all. In fact, I completely agree with it. 'Cults' are associated with blindly following another, not assessing for yourself.

I have thought through risk factors (from my perspective), know what I can tolerate, and monitor all my investments closely. Hopefully everyone else does the same and is not guilty of being part of a 'cult-like following'.

As I recall, Jim Cramer called TSLA a cult stock in the context of a bullish outlook while using the term to indicate his opinion that price movements in the stock are difficult (or was it impossible) to predict [from a fundamentals standpoint one presumes].

As I think we have seen, it is possible to predict TSLA price movements both upwards and downwards with a relatively astonishing level of both resolution and precision.

I would just look to weigh Mr Cramer's remarks in the balance as an extra piece of data to analyze. In this case I would say his input was profoundly irrelevant - it was an "I don't know" with a smiley and an exclamation mark.

Yes, I understand that. I was more explaining the context of Nigel's remark to kevin.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

I know this might be off-topic a bit but we are on the Cramer/cult thread. I've watched a lot of Cramer back in the day, and I am fairly sure that he doesn't mean "cult stock" as an insult to those who invest in those stocks. He's not talking about TSLA stock or investors as a religious cult (ie., blindly following or aberrant teachings, etc). He's referring to TSLA stock/followers in the sense of a cult following (ie., cult film/book/tv show). I don't think he meant anything derogatory.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_following:
A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment fans have with the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric, bizarre, controversial or anti-establishment to be appreciated by the general public.

Yes, exactly. "A common component is the emotional attachment fans have with the object of the cult following." That's dangerous ground, imo, from an investment standpoint. You all know I am a huge fan of Tesla. So when I'm investing, I question every decision to make sure I'm not letting my emotions dictate my investment.

I think Cramer meant that many that invest in TSLA are blindly doing so. I understand others here disagree. We're all entitled to our opinion. (Even me. :))

Please stop. I've spent the last bit of time going back through his posts and yours, to see if there was an issue. (And other mods would do the same, if a forum member implied I was not evenly applying decisions.) All I can see is that Nigel (appropriately, btw) asked you to not post in multiple threads about an event you're planning. That's exactly the same request we make of everyone. There was nothing offensive in how he asked.

I simply cannot find the problem, kevin.

I believe that the burning of fossil fuels is destroying the environment. My basis for this is reason and science. The data supporting this conclusion are overwhelming. I support and advocate renewable energy and the electrification of transportation. Taking this further, I will act deliberately to leave my children and grandchildren a healing planet. Cult? I prefer tenet.