TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jingle-bell type sound coming from under the car when going over some bumps

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianstorms, Nov 15, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

#1 brianstorms, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Given that's it's late in the year you might find it advisable to check your beard growth and seek help if you start feeling urges to wear red....

On a more serious note: I'm sure Tesla Service will happily take a look at it for you. They won't turn you away because you're the only one.

3. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Nigel,
    That reminds me of the pilot squawk about something under the dash sounding like a "midget with a hammer" (not my politically incorrect words, sorry). Maintenance responded with "took hammer away from midget". It is a little early in the year but perhaps we need to pull that salvation arm bell away from its owner.

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Jeez it isn't even Thanksgiving yet. I wish the Tesla Christmas package wouldn't activate so soon after Halloween.

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Check to see if Santa got stuck trying to climb in your frunk.

Sorry.

Maybe one of the line workers dropped something that's making the sound in your cars innards.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

This! ;)

Seriously Brian, several of our guys down here have taken their cars in for squeaks and rattles, and the service center gave them loaners while they had their cars for a couple of days... Just to track down and fix these annoyances.

7. cjchome

cjchome Member

my car makes the same sound. i asked the service center to look into it the last time the car was in (about seven months ago), but they said they could not reproduce the sound. the sound is definitely still there. the car is going in to the service center in a couple weeks to have the snow tires put back on and i will ask them to look into it again then.

8. cjchome

cjchome Member

asked the service center to look into the "jingling" noise. they did and concluded the front fender liner was not installed correctly. they "readjusted the panel". i have not heard the noise since.

9. MarkR

MarkR Member

#9 MarkR, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Jingle Bell sounds are controlled from the 17" screen under "settings" and are only available in the Fall and early Winter months. If you fail to reset your control panel, they will automatically turn off on Dec 26.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

11. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

I'm glad you figured it out. I once had a weird jingling sound driving around over bumps in the road and I found out that it was a loose/broken bracket in the rear seat that caused that seat to jump up and down slightly as I drove over bumps. I found it odd since no one ever sits in my back seats...go fig. They said they would order me a new bracket but it never came. Go fig...

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've found that you have to also send an email to ownership or it won't get done.

13. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

This type of sound can drive one insane. You just have to be relentless in the search for the cause.

In my previous vehicle, I kept hearing a "jingle bell" sound over bumps and around corners. My son is in elementary school with lots of crafts so I found a stray jingle bell in the console. Problem solved? Nope. Kept happening and I kept looking. Turns out an extendible handle umbrella, like a Totes brand, had some loose piece in the stem portion and jingled when it shifted.

14. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I take my car in Wednesday for the jingle bell sound. Its coming from my front driver side tire. The passenger can't hear it and I can only hear it when going over small bumps like road reflectors. The tire also rubs when I make a hard right. I think it all happened when I had my new wheels installed. Not sure though.

15. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

It turns out it was road debris lodged up under the wheel well. It was a small piece of metal about the size and shape of a large button (3/4 inch diameter). Excellent service Tampa.

16. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Something that had happened with me causing this type of sound was actually one of the parking brake caliper's bolts somehow got stripped loose so they had to replace them. It sounded like the wheel might fall off or something wrong with the suspension when I was trying to describe the sound to them and it was rather scary to hear. Turns out I could be a little less worried, and of course they fixed it easily enough. I think just to be safe they replaced all the bolts on the parking brake calipers. They also sent the bolts off to Tesla in CA to have someone take a look at them since it was the first time anyone had heard of this problem.

Anyway, that was my experience regarding a "jingle-bell" sound.