Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jjad p1-e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Autocar - P1-E: Britain's Tesla

2219934732655234x155.jpg

This is the P1-E, a new British electric sports car created by former McLaren designer Jim Dowle.

The P1-E will use a four-wheel-drive system to harness the 590lb ft of torque developed by the electric motors at either end of the chassis, with combined output for the twin motors expected to be 290kW (389bhp).

Dowle and his company JJAD already face considerable opposition from other electric sports car manufacturers such as Fisker and Tesla.

Production of the P1-E is still more than two years away, during which time Dowle believes technology will develop to allow the company to take the upper hand over its rivals.

“Tesla is a good benchmark, but the technology is moving fast. Our car will be more advanced than the Tesla,” said Dowle.

JJAD plans to build around 500 models of the £55k P1-E per year when it goes into production in 2012.

Sounds good on paper. Lets see how well they execute.

Tesla set the standard and started the ball rolling, but so far many of the supposed competitors haven't fully materialized.

Not many? Closer to none at all.
Volt, Karma and such aren't really a competiton. They are against Insight, Civic Hybrid, Prius.

I agree on the Volt but not really the Karma. There are plenty of people who have cross shopped between the Roadster and the Karma. They are completely different segments though so you do have a point.

If you consider that the time Tesla first announced the Roadster there were practically no EVs being sold or announced, the situation now has a bunch of new entrants that are at least in prototype form. For instance the Dodge Circuit, & Lightning GT. Also the Tango made it into some limited production. There are probably a handful of Venturi Fetish out there as well (more in direct competition since Tesla now sells in Europe).

Also there are other (non supercar spec) models showing up like the MiEV, SmartEV, MiniEV, that are ready to compete with a Tesla "Bluestar" type model.

“Tesla is a good benchmark, but the technology is moving fast. Our car will be more advanced than the Tesla,” said Dowle.

That is sort of stupid to say. This guy is assuming that Tesla will never upgrade the current Tesla Roadster between now and 2012?

The Roadster Sport is already the first upgrade in performance and it comes out this summer.

If Tesla Motors is still around in 3 years, I am sure they will have an even more advanced model. In addition, they will have far more experience and history at that point.

If the Model S is in production, Tesla's overall expertise with electric vehicles will likely be more advanced than any other company. According to Daimler, Tesla Motors currently has the best available technology.

The first 3 numbers are likely feasible. But the price is just silly at this point. Everything ends up costing 2x what your original plan projected.

I can't see the first 3 stats being feasible. That's 400 lbs lighter for a car with the same range (equal weight battery) and AWD (two motors and linkages and cooling). Do you think it's possible to make the glider over 500 lbs lighter than the Roadster? No? Then raise the weight to something believable and the 0-60 time goes up.

2x the quoted price? Maybe, just maybe.

I think only 1 of those stats is possible. They just have to pick which one.

Last edited:
I can't see the first 3 stats being feasible. That's 400 lbs lighter for a car with the same range (equal weight battery) and AWD (two motors and linkages and cooling). Do you think it's possible to make the glider over 500 lbs lighter than the Roadster? No? Then raise the weight to something believable and the 0-60 time goes up.

2x the quoted price? Maybe, just maybe.

I think only 1 of those stats is possible. They just have to pick which one.

If the overall car is 400-500 pounds lighter, then the battery likely also doesn't need to be as large/heavy to achieve that range. I am not sure where they are shaving weight, but they have a plan. Maybe their vehicle is not meant to be a daily driving vehicle.

Remember that Elon Musk and Tesla did several things to make the Roadster more comfortable as a daily vehicle. The Lotus Elise is not nearly as comfortable as the Tesla Roadster. The Lotus Elise is spartan.

I agree that it is a stretch. But the most unbelievable item on the list is the price.

I thought this looked familiar, and now I realize that the body design was released early last year.

Back then they weren't talking about electric power.

It sounds like he didn't get anywhere raising money for that gas version, so he spent an hour reading about the Tesla, wrote a few paragraphs describing a fantasy vehicle that is faster and cheaper, then issued a new press release.

Good luck finding new investors in this market. They will take one look at the difficulties that Tesla is having, then pass on the investment with Dowle.