TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jjad p1-e

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dpeilow, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Autocar - P1-E: Britain's Tesla

[​IMG]

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sounds good on paper. Lets see how well they execute.

Tesla set the standard and started the ball rolling, but so far many of the supposed competitors haven't fully materialized.

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Not many? Closer to none at all.
    Volt, Karma and such aren't really a competiton. They are against Insight, Civic Hybrid, Prius.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I agree on the Volt but not really the Karma. There are plenty of people who have cross shopped between the Roadster and the Karma. They are completely different segments though so you do have a point.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If you consider that the time Tesla first announced the Roadster there were practically no EVs being sold or announced, the situation now has a bunch of new entrants that are at least in prototype form. For instance the Dodge Circuit, & Lightning GT. Also the Tango made it into some limited production. There are probably a handful of Venturi Fetish out there as well (more in direct competition since Tesla now sells in Europe).

Also there are other (non supercar spec) models showing up like the MiEV, SmartEV, MiniEV, that are ready to compete with a Tesla "Bluestar" type model.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Ho hum, a cool drawing does not make a car.

Again, Tesla announced with two working prototypes.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It looks like one of these caricatures you see at race events:

[​IMG]

Let's see what they deliver...

8. Tdave

Tdave Member

9. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

That is sort of stupid to say. This guy is assuming that Tesla will never upgrade the current Tesla Roadster between now and 2012?

The Roadster Sport is already the first upgrade in performance and it comes out this summer.

If Tesla Motors is still around in 3 years, I am sure they will have an even more advanced model. In addition, they will have far more experience and history at that point.

If the Model S is in production, Tesla's overall expertise with electric vehicles will likely be more advanced than any other company. According to Daimler, Tesla Motors currently has the best available technology.

10. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

The only thing missing is the 10 minute estimated recharge time from a 110 volt outlet.

The first 3 numbers are likely feasible. But the price is just silly at this point. Everything ends up costing 2x what your original plan projected.

11. Tdave

Tdave Member

#12 Tdave, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    I can't see the first 3 stats being feasible. That's 400 lbs lighter for a car with the same range (equal weight battery) and AWD (two motors and linkages and cooling). Do you think it's possible to make the glider over 500 lbs lighter than the Roadster? No? Then raise the weight to something believable and the 0-60 time goes up.

2x the quoted price? Maybe, just maybe.

I think only 1 of those stats is possible. They just have to pick which one.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I thought this looked familiar, and now I realize that the body design was released early last year.

Back then they weren't talking about electric power.

13. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

If the overall car is 400-500 pounds lighter, then the battery likely also doesn't need to be as large/heavy to achieve that range. I am not sure where they are shaving weight, but they have a plan. Maybe their vehicle is not meant to be a daily driving vehicle.

Remember that Elon Musk and Tesla did several things to make the Roadster more comfortable as a daily vehicle. The Lotus Elise is not nearly as comfortable as the Tesla Roadster. The Lotus Elise is spartan.

I agree that it is a stretch. But the most unbelievable item on the list is the price.

14. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

It sounds like he didn't get anywhere raising money for that gas version, so he spent an hour reading about the Tesla, wrote a few paragraphs describing a fantasy vehicle that is faster and cheaper, then issued a new press release.

Good luck finding new investors in this market. They will take one look at the difficulties that Tesla is having, then pass on the investment with Dowle.

15. felix pius

felix pius Member

"I thought this looked familiar, and now I realize that the body design was released early last year.

Back then they weren't talking about electric power."

Nice to see, that a petrolhead has conversed to an electric car enthusiast.:biggrin:

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

where r they now? :)

17. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

I was searching for the new McLaren P1 ans saw this old post. It looks like this is still going nowhere, judging by their website, J J A D :: CARS.

18. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Of course it's going nowhere. This technology is HARD! And that's an understatement. The amazing magical Tesla drive train[SUP]TM[/SUP] is why my ROTH is 100% TSLA.