Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joe Rogan said it best

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sitting at intersection today, windows down. Heard cars staring their engines when the green light turned. How STUPID that sounds. Btw, does the ac compressor stop at lights when the engine is off?

When it needs to turn on the engine to maintain cabin temp, the autostart fires it up to cool the car. It's an irritating game played for the pleasure of the EPA. Increases the cost of the car, and reduces the life of the engine.

When it needs to turn on the engine to maintain cabin temp, the autostart fires it up to cool the car. It's an irritating game played for the pleasure of the EPA. Increases the cost of the car, and reduces the life of the engine.

I would have to think a lot of wear and tear, starter, engine oil draining during shutdown, just another way for them to get you to replace your car sooner.

I would have to think a lot of wear and tear, starter, engine oil draining during shutdown, just another way for them to get you to replace your car sooner.

Improvements in metallurgy, lubricants, ignition, injection, VVT, and electric motor design have improved things tremendously, but all things being equal, a non-autostop/start motor will last longer.

It's amazing that today's cars last longer than ever before. Now they are scrapped by collision damage instead of engine failure like cars from the 'muscle car' era.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I thought it was more a matter of being scraped because of electrical problems, sensors dying, adaptive headlight motors failing, wire harnesses decaying and so on (you laugh but in a BMW those are $1500 each and when they go there aren’t any other options... if both go together and the car has enough miles...).

That’s my biggest finger about the Teslas actually...