Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

John McElroy (Autoline) borrows a Model 3 for a week -- 4/27/19 video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your friends in high school? What is there to argue about it?

My co worker. In his 50s argue about how electric doesn’t work. If He ever needs to be able to drive to the most remote locations on the face of the planet there’s no way to charge it and that reason alone he claims he will not even look at it.

I’m like when have you ever gone anywhere like that? He said never. But what if. I’m like take your other car or rent one “if ever” but he still argues. So 99.99% of the time any electric will work for him he still argues it doesn’t work. He lives like 10 miles away from work and we have chargepoint stations at work.

My co worker. In his 50s argue about how electric doesn’t work. If He ever needs to be able to drive to the most remote locations on the face of the planet there’s no way to charge it and that reason alone he claims he will not even look at it.

I’m like when have you ever gone anywhere like that? He said never. But what if. I’m like take your other car or rent one “if ever” but he still argues. So 99.99% of the time any electric will work for him he still argues it doesn’t work. He lives like 10 miles away from work and we have chargepoint stations at work.

With the current state of electric charging infrastructure of course people can find edge cases where only having an electric car doesn't work well. The infrastructure is getting better all the time and in the meantime you can always have an ICE car in the family too if the edge cases worry you. Of course those edge cases are almost never really relevant to anyone.

All vehicles involve some amount of compromise where you decide what features matter for your needs. That's true of EVs and ICE cars. People seem to focus just on the compromises for EVs and ignore them for ICE cars. Of course the general climate of constant at least slightly negative news about EVs in general and Tesla in particular doesn't help. It's funny how a couple of Teslas catch on fire over a few years and it's front page news but GM recalls 368,000 pickup trucks after 19 fires for a defect and it attracts far less attention. Sigh.

Update to my April post in this thread about my conversation with one of my Starbucks drive-thru baristas. Today she was working the drive thru window and asked me about what the center screen does. Ah ha! Still curious! I told her it displays the map with traffic and provides info about the car like speed etc. She said her husband mentioned the car the other day, specifically I guess seeing someone's screen--not sure, and she told him that one of her customers had a car with a screen like that. I mentioned my husband's Model S had a vertical 17 inch screen but essentially very similar.

Then I said "you know, you really should take me up on the ride and then you can tell your husband you were in a Tesla". I asked her when she'd be off tomorrow (around noon) so will make a point of stopping by then so she can see the car and at least get a ride in it (don't know at this point if she would feel comfortable driving it and don't want to push it). She said she would be kind of frightened by it (not sure if she was thinking of Ludicrous videos or maybe just driving something so "new" and different...long line of cars behind me at this point) so maybe she was considering driving it but in any event I said I'm a safe driver! Anyway thought you guys would find it interesting that the interest is out there and l look forward to getting her reaction to the car tomorrow. I saw the comment about demo'ing Romance mode and will hopefully get to show her that and more. I know she has kids so if she has the time will pull up Beach Buggy Racing as well. She was all smiles when I left and think she's excited about it.

I do think one of the best ways to sell the car is by seeing it in person with an owner showing it off and answering questions. When we had our MS for just a few months (I had quickly fallen in love with it and totally got turned on to Teslas and the whole EV thing), I signed us up for the day to display our car at one of the EV events that summer along with other Tesla owners. Met and talked to a lot of adults about it along with my husband, and dozens of adults sat in it asking questions and had tons of kids climbing through it (that part my husband wasn't so keen about) but it was a fun thing to do and hope we helped sell a Tesla or two.

I'm old and retired and I offer an immediate ride to anyone that shows a lot of interest. Most don't accept for fear of strangers or DOM but I show them as much as they have time for. I stress how easy the car is to operate and the convenience of a driver profile and after that is done it's just get in the car, put in in drive, press the button and say "drive to (their home, Disney World, etc)" and go. They are all fascinated by the EAP and though enjoy driving manually repeatedly turn on EAP. For the techies I tell them about the temperature sensors in the charge port terminals that reduce charging if dirty or deteriorated charging plugs cause abnormal temperature rises and that's only one of hundreds of things the car constantly monitors. You can also tell them the total 5 year cost of ownership is less than an Accord or Camry.