Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

John McElroy (Autoline) borrows a Model 3 for a week -- 4/27/19 video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
So John McElroy from Autoline (where Sandy Munro has appeared a number of times) borrowed a friend's 12/2018 Model 3 for a week while he was on vacation. Short video (about 11 min.) Examines the fit and finish, interior comfort, and uses AutoPilot on the road. The car software version the car is on (not specified) isn't up to handling a cloverleaf turn and he encounters that bug with the screen corruption issue some on TMC have mentioned. He learns how to reboot. Overall he seemed pretty happy with the car from what I saw and heard. Some interesting comments on the YouTube page.

Hopefully John will get more time with his friend's car and do another video. Especially after the software update that was demo'd at the Autonomy Day Event once the new HW3 goes in. Too bad his friend wasn't there to give him some pointers on using AP and NoA. But glad to see him intrigued and interested enough to do this. He was smiling alot.

BTW when I was at Starbucks this past week one of the baristas at the drive thru that I see frequently said "so how do you like your car?" Told her I really enjoy it and she then commented "I've heard there are alot of problems with Teslas"...and she kind of smiled. Rather caught me off guard and was disappointed to hear her say that. So today when I drove through she was there and I referenced our prior conversation and asked her if she had ever been in one to which she replied "no". So I suggested if during the week she gets off at a decent time and wants to, let me know in the morning when I stop in for coffee and I'll meet you when you get off work and take you for a ride and then added might even let you drive if you want. She was all smiles and said okay. So we'll see if anything comes of the offer. Love to have her experience the car and give her own impression of it rather than repeat just what she hears about from the press and maybe some third party who maybe like her hasn't even driven one. As we know and even can see from Sandy and John's actual experience driving one in person, once you drive one it's easy to understand why it's a great car and why so many owners love their car.

Last edited:
...asked her if she had ever been in one to which she replied "no". So I suggested if during the week she gets off at a decent time and wants to, let me know in the morning when I stop in for coffee and I'll meet you when you get off work and take you for a ride and then added might even let you drive if you want.
Let her drive, for sure. My philosophy: I will basically let anyone drive my Model 3. So far my auto mechanic, neighbor across the street, workmates, people from my pinball league...anyone I think won’t crash the car if they drive it for 5 minutes. Nothing affects peoples’ views on Tesla (and EVs in general) like driving one.

The car software version the car is on (not specified) isn't up to handling a cloverleaf turn
At 6:20 he proclaims the car can't handle the cloverleaf and would drive right off the road. Well, you can clearly see on the U.I. that he doesn't have Autopilot engaged at that time. Duuuuuuuuuuh, yes, the car won't autosteer if Autopilot isn't engaged! As soon as he engages Autopilot the car handles the cloverleaf with aplomb. i have maneuvered plenty of cloverleafs with Autopilot (from 18.12.? to 19.8.5) and never a problem.

He says that the car kicks out of Autopilot if you try to manually change lanes. Duuuuuuuh, do you want to drive manually or drive in Autopilot? Just turn on TFTS and the car will change lanes for you when safe.

McElroy didn't RTFM before making this review. He is both a doofus and an idiot. He is incompetent as a car reviewer. Too bad anyone gives him any credibility.

Hopefully John will get more time with his friend's car and do another video. Especially after the software update that was demo'd at the Autonomy Day Event once the new HW3 goes in. Too bad his friend wasn't there to give him some pointers on using AP and NoA. But glad to see him intrigued and interested enough to do this. He was smiling alot.

BTW when I was at Starbucks this past week one of the baristas at the drive thru that I see frequently said "so how do you like your car?" Told her I really enjoy it and she then commented "I've heard there are alot of problems with Teslas"...and she kind of smiled. Rather caught me off guard and was disappointed to hear her say that. So today when I drove through she was there and I referenced our prior conversation and asked her if she had ever been in one to which she replied "no". So I suggested if during the week she gets off at a decent time and wants to, let me know in the morning when I stop in for coffee and I'll meet you when you get off work and take you for a ride and then added might even let you drive if you want. She was all smiles and said okay. So we'll see if anything comes of the offer. Love to have her experience the car and give her own impression of it rather than repeat just what she hears about from the press and maybe some third party who maybe like her hasn't even driven one. As we know and even can see from Sandy and John's actual experience driving one in person, once you drive one it's easy to understand why it's a great car and why so many owners love their car.
I have had dozens of people ask about my 18 month old 3 and 30 month old S and never has anyone made such a negative comment as your barista. In fact virtually everyone who knows a little about the cars say it is a strong candidate for their next car.

I have noticed in the past year or so no one has asked what the heck a Tesla is, probably reflective of the many 3s on the streets of Chandler, AZ. Fortunately for Tesla I am a cheerleader for the cars and probably have caused several sales. I hope Tesla understands that at this time when so many people are asking owners about their cars, it is really important to keep the owners happy.

Maybe demo romance mode?

Autopilot works OK on straight freeway. (until it taps on the brakes to startle me)
Both braking and accelerating need work. You mentioned unexplained, arbitrary braking. Also brakes much too hard for cars turning in front of you a safe distance ahead. Brakes too hard and too late when approaching stopped traffic. Accelerates far too slowly from a dead stop. This seems like pretty basic stuff but remains problematic after several releases.

Reactions: dwalme
I haven't really told many I purchased a Tesla. Some confrontational friends who just like to argue have started the conversation about it and I just ignore them and don't give them any response. I think it makes them even more upset haha.

Your friends in high school? What is there to argue about it?

You bought your car with your own money?

It’s not like their isn’t going to be half a million Model 3s on the road soon. Going to fight with all those people?

Reactions: Matt L
At 6:20 he proclaims the car can't handle the cloverleaf and would drive right off the road. Well, you can clearly see on the U.I. that he doesn't have Autopilot engaged at that time. Duuuuuuuuuuh, yes, the car won't autosteer if Autopilot isn't engaged! As soon as he engages Autopilot the car handles the cloverleaf with aplomb. i have maneuvered plenty of cloverleafs with Autopilot (from 18.12.? to 19.8.5) and never a problem.

He says that the car kicks out of Autopilot if you try to manually change lanes. Duuuuuuuh, do you want to drive manually or drive in Autopilot? Just turn on TFTS and the car will change lanes for you when safe.

McElroy didn't RTFM before making this review. He is both a doofus and an idiot. He is incompetent as a car reviewer. Too bad anyone gives him any credibility.

I agree, that someone in his position, that doesn’t research or read a manual before doing a formal review of any car is lame.

Reactions: T34ME
So John McElroy from Autoline (where Sandy Munro has appeared a number of times) borrowed a friend's 12/2018 Model 3 for a week while he was on vacation. Short video (about 11 min.) Examines the fit and finish, interior comfort, and uses AutoPilot on the road. The car software version the car is on (not specified) isn't up to handling a cloverleaf turn and he encounters that bug with the screen corruption issue some on TMC have mentioned. He learns how to reboot. Overall he seemed pretty happy with the car from what I saw and heard. Some interesting comments on the YouTube page.

That was painful to watch.

Reactions: SmartElectric
OK so just posted on 5/23, John McElroy does a redo on his Model 3 Test Drive after getting a lot of criticism from Tesla owners in how he didn't really understand Autopilot when he did his previous video. So here's the redo video. Watch it directly on YouTube so you can scroll down the page a way and look at the comments. Still doesn't know how to use the feature.

Last edited:

His accent kills me, "download the Tezzla aaAAp". Not an insult, but it sounds distinct. Where in the country is that from?