Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Join push for SEC Investigation of TSLA manipulators and inside traders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The flash WSJ attack on Tesla at 2pm today made me get off my butt and write the letter to my representative that I've been meaning to write. But instead of writing it to him, I wrote email to the Ombudsman of the SEC. I will reword it slightly and send basically the same thing to my federal representative.

Here's the text, which I explicitly permit anyone to use.
me said:
I write to you because I have reported matters to the SEC before and seen no subsequent action.

I am admittedly an admirer of Elon Musk and his companies Tesla and SpaceX [confidential information elided]. I am also a long term investor in Tesla.

I believe that the recent SEC investigation of Tesla was ill-conceived, and the settlement, coming suspiciously on the last day of the federal financial year, was unjustifiable. The complaint was mostly on behalf of short sellers, who made out like bandits as soon as the SEC announced their investigation of Musk's tweet. Many of these analysts and short sellers seem to be funded by entrenched interests in the fossil fuel and automotive industries. Their biases are easy to see. An excellent article was recently written:
A Field Guide To Potential Securities Violations By Tesla's Foes — In Depth | CleanTechnica
(I have nothing to do with this article.) I did lodge SEC complaints about some of the incidents mentioned in this article, where they seemed blatant. But anyway, that's water under the bridge.

Recently Tesla reported excellent production numbers, positive cash flow, and a significant quarterly profit. The stock price has risen against the market by 15-20% since that report. Today, at 2pm EDT, the Wall Street Journal released this article:
Tesla Faces Deepening Criminal Probe Over Whether It Misstated Production Figures
Tesla's stock price dropped 7% in a couple of minutes. But this article contains no new information, citing only "people familiar with the matter" (who would be committing criminal acts if they really do know and reveal anything about the status of a DOJ investigation). It refers to a matter that is over a year old today.

I believe this article constitutes illegal market manipulation, intended to stop Tesla's rising stock trajectory and manipulate the stock price closer to the option "Maximum Pain" point for options expiring in just over one hour from my writing this note to you. In the "field guide" article above you will find that many of the incidents trace back to reporters at the Wall Street Journal.

I have Tesla call options expiring today, which are in-the-money, so that fall from $335 to $314 cost me $6,300, on those options alone; across my portfolio of Tesla stock and options the loss was closer to $100,000.

I would appreciate your attention to not only this specific incident but also to the apparent lack of SEC action in respect of Tesla's and Musk's enemies.

Sincerely,

For those of you filing complaints about the Wall Street Journal's article today, you'll need the mailing address. Here it is:
Mailing Address
The Wall Street Journal
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036

work phone: 800 568-7625
email: [email protected].

Here's a link to my post on the previous page that gives the website for submitting SEC tips and complaints:
Join push for SEC Investigation of TSLA manipulators and inside traders

Please, take the small amount of time needed to submit a complaint. You can do so anonymously, if you wish.

I am almost done with my complaint.
Edit:
My complaint has been submitted.

Last edited:
The flash WSJ attack on Tesla at 2pm today made me get off my butt and write the letter to my representative that I've been meaning to write. But instead of writing it to him, I wrote email to the Ombudsman of the SEC. I will reword it slightly and send basically the same thing to my federal representative.

Here's the text, which I explicitly permit anyone to use.

@ggr @Papafox @Fact Checking
was it WSJ first? or coordinated?
i first saw the volume spikes and floor fall out at 1:56:30

bloomberg terminal didn’t have first fbi related headline until 2:01. it was headline only (no content) and then more following at 2:02-2:04, etc. then they started putting out headlines with story details/content in the body.

in that 5 min the stock tanked ~10
with probably around 1 mm or more shares

the times i stated are pretty close. the volume and price swing are rough guesses.

what time was WSJ story broken?
i suspected bloomberg was involved as well, no?

Here's the text of the letter I sent to my representative. Permission is granted to use it, although you'll presumably want to address it to your own representative.

Dear Congressman [whoever],

Re: SEC investigation of Elon Musk and Tesla, Inc, and failure to investigate market manipulation.

I write to you because I have reported matters to the SEC before and seen no subsequent action.

I am admittedly an admirer of Elon Musk and his companies Tesla and SpaceX. I am also a long term investor in Tesla.

The Securities and Exchange Commission investigated Elon Musk, Tesla’s Chairman and CEO, over his well publicized tweet that he wanted to de-list Tesla from the stock market, including the words “funding secured”. Various short sellers complained to the SEC or sued individually claiming that those words were fraudulent. I have met Mr. Musk a number of times, and I’m quite certain that there was no fraudulent intent, and what he meant was that he was extremely confident that finding sufficient funding would not be a problem. Indeed, his tweet was in reaction to the news that the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, which he had spoken to about taking Tesla private, had just announced taking a 5% stake in Tesla on the open market. As he subsequently explained, he felt he had to make a public announcement of his plan so that he could talk to other major investors fairly. Short sellers, betting against the company, complained to the SEC that they lost money because the stock price went up after his tweet. However over the next few days and weeks after the SEC announced their investigation the stock price dropped over 25%, so the short investors were not actually harmed at all. Investors like me were. The plans to take Tesla private were shelved, but not because funding was unavailable, and Musk and Tesla settled with the SEC to put the affair behind them.

I believe that the recent SEC investigation of Elon Musk and Tesla was ill-conceived, and the SEC lawsuit and settlement, coming suspiciously on the last day of the federal financial year, was unjustifiable. The complaint was mostly on behalf of short sellers, who made out like bandits as soon as the SEC announced their investigation of Musk's tweet. Many of these analysts and short sellers seem to be funded by entrenched interests in the fossil fuel and automotive industries. Their biases are easy to see. An excellent article was recently written:

A Field Guide To Potential Securities Violations By Tesla's Foes — In Depth | CleanTechnica

(I have nothing to do with this article.) I did lodge SEC complaints about some of the incidents mentioned in this article, where they seemed blatant. The SEC has not acted on any of my complaints as far as I can tell, or even acknowledged my submissions. I know of others who have also complained.

I was about to write this letter to you when, today, a particularly blatant stock manipulation happened.

Recently Tesla reported excellent production numbers, positive cash flow, and a significant quarterly profit. The stock price has risen against the market by 15-20% since that report, although it still isn’t back to the level it attained before the Saudi investment. Today, at 2pm EDT, the Wall Street Journal released this article:

Tesla Faces Deepening Criminal Probe Over Whether It Misstated Production Figures

Tesla's stock price dropped 7% in a couple of minutes. But this article contains no new information, citing only "people familiar with the matter" (who would be committing criminal acts if they really do know and reveal anything about the status of a DOJ investigation). It refers to a matter that is over a year old today.

I believe this article constitutes illegal market manipulation, intended to stop Tesla's rising stock trajectory and manipulate the stock price closer to the option "Maximum Pain" point for options expiring two hours after the publication. In the "field guide" article above you will find that many of the incidents trace back to reporters at the Wall Street Journal.

I had Tesla call options expiring today, which were in-the-money, so that fall from $335 to $314 cost me $6,300, on those options alone; across my portfolio of Tesla stock and options the loss was closer to $100,000.

As my representative, I believe one of your responsibilities is to represent me when I have a problem with a federal agency and no other means to pursue the matter. I think the SEC has:

1. Acted irresponsibly in its actions regarding the “funding secured” tweet,

2. Failed to act or investigate in other, reported, incidents that appear to involve major wrongdoing,

3. Failed to acknowledge complaints from me and others.

I would appreciate your attention to not only this specific incident but also to the apparent lack of SEC action in respect of Tesla's and Musk's enemies. I request that you contact the SEC on my behalf, to ask their justification for investigating Musk on behalf of short sellers who benefitted from harming the company, to ask why they fail to investigate other reported matters, and ask that they do investigate this most recent event. I did report the Wall Street Journal article using the SEC web form, and also by email to the Ombudsman of the SEC. I have acknowledgement of receipt from the Ombudsman, but not from the web submission.

Sincerely,

@ggr @Papafox @Fact Checking
was it WSJ first? or coordinated?
i first saw the volume spikes and floor fall out at 1:56:30

bloomberg terminal didn’t have first fbi related headline until 2:01. it was headline only (no content) and then more following at 2:02-2:04, etc. then they started putting out headlines with story details/content in the body.

in that 5 min the stock tanked ~10
with probably around 1 mm or more shares

the times i stated are pretty close. the volume and price swing are rough guesses.

what time was WSJ story broken?
i suspected bloomberg was involved as well, no?
It's Bloomberg's job to report stuff quickly. While I think they often are guilty, in this case I think they just reported the news as quickly as they could after getting it from WSJ. Just IMHO though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
What about the option to sue the worst offenders? Put some pressure on them to put up or shut up with regards to their sources. I'm assuming there is great protection for them from the first amendment, but any pushback would be welcomed. I'm talking class action moreso than Tesla suing.

Why shouldn’t Tesla sue the WSJ?

Remember when Elon went after Linette Lopez, trying to get her to confess that she was in cahoots with Jim Chanos? The media descended on Elon like hungry dogs on a pork chop, badgering him ceaselessly for his indiscretion of taking on one of the media's poor helpless click reporters. Even though Lopez was working for Business Insider, CNBC then set up the grand Lopez states her innocence theatrical performance, with Jim Chanos cronies Jeffrey Sonnenfeld and Bethany McLean defending Lopez and harassing Musk.

Now, just image what the response from the media would be if Tesla sued the WSJ or NYTimes?

Neither Musk nor Tesla can be the ones calling for such an investigation or lawsuit, or the media will close ranks. Someone else from within the media industry would probably need to take them to task, but it would probably have to be a "respected" "real" "journalist", since old media still looks down on anyone that doesn't get printed or aired on TV.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
The WSJ article claimed to be a news article. It was released during market hours. It contained zero actual news, being a rehash of months-old news.

While it's legal to publish a rehash of months-old news, and often useful, it's generally supposed to be reported as a backgrounder or in-depth analysis or "investigative" piece -- the sort which usually get published on weekends -- and this was presented as if it was news, during market hours. It was deliberately disinformative about the timing of the information it was "reporting".

It's a pretty slick type of dishonesty, but it's blatantly dishonest market manipulation. At least three flash crashes in various stocks were caused by running old articles through news feeds (the first seems to have been an accident... the others I'm not so sure). So it's known that this can be used to manipulate markets. Rerunning old news as if it's new is essentially a method for a journalist to do the same thing.

I expect worse from the WSJ, actually, given their history of outright blatant provable lies *about government statistics* on the editorial page.

While it's legal to publish a rehash of months-old news

So, if it doesn’t violate U.S. securities laws or regulations, why are people sending complaints to the SEC?

It's a pretty slick type of dishonesty, but it's blatantly dishonest market manipulation.

Electrek and CleanTechnica (whose writers, unlike WSJ’s staff, have a position in Tesla stock) publish fluff/hype articles about Tesla during trading hours all the time. Why aren’t they equally guilty?

It’s not illegal for a newspaper to simply report facts.

But it would be illegal if it was done for profit.

Did the reporters or family/friends benefit from the sudden price drop ? Did the anonymous sources benefit from the drop ?

Only way to figure this out would be to report to SEC and let them investigate.

Given large sums of money involved, it makes sense for SEC to investigate and make sure there was no foul play.

But it would be illegal if it was done for profit.

It would only be illegal if it were a deliberate and knowing lie, and the lie were told for profit.

There is reporting every weekday on dozens or hundreds of publicly traded companies. The SEC doesnt have the resources or the grounds to investigate every business reporter in America, and their sources are protected.

So, if it doesn’t violate U.S. securities laws or regulations, why are people sending complaints to the SEC?
It appears that some people had about 40 minutes notice that it was coming out. That's illegal insider trading. And why would they rehash it unless there was profit in it for someone? That's market manipulation, also illegal.