TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Joining the club

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cole Avenue, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Cole Avenue

Cole Avenue Member

Last Saturday (Jan 11th) I took a test drive in Highland Park, IL (I live in Madison, WI). After the drive I put down a deposit for a Model S. (The test drive was almost a formality / sanity check, I've been thinking about it for a long time.)

My configuration: S85 / White, Pano, Standard 19" Wheels / Textile Seats, Piano Black / Tech, Air Suspension, Parking Sensors, Hi-Fi Sound, Subzero

I confirmed same day in the hopes it'd shave a few weeks off my wait.

This morning I realized that I plan on having the car for many years and I don't want to risk regretting that I didn't go for the Performance version so I called Tesla to see if I could upgrade. They said they'd put in a request, and emphasized that it's a request and not a guarantee, but they were pretty confident that the change could be made since I did it so early in the process.

Either way, can't wait to get the car.

I'll be trading in my Chevy Volt which I've had for a year and half, and even though I love it I confess that I've been referring to it as a "starter Tesla" for most of the time I've owned it.

2. Joel

Joel Active Member

Congrats. Welcome to the club!

3. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I would think the change is easy to make since it's less than a week after you placed your order. I think they always say the "no guarantee" part about changes - they said that to me when I added subzero last week, more than one month after my order date, and my delivery date is the end of next month. It's not a change to the same degree, I know, but I got an email later that day saying the change was made and it also showed up on my dashboard that same day. I'd call again on Monday if you haven't heard by then, and call Tesla directly, not your local store, because they just call Tesla directly for you. I called both my local rep and directly, and my local rep got back to me when the change was approved. I never did hear back from Tesla except to see my dashboard change. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

4. bkenchan

bkenchan Member

Good going! I did the same thing. I called them and upgraded everything all the way to a P85+.

5. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Yup. Me too. It's a very common thing. Funny, I never hear of anyone with buyer's regret going the other way and downgrading. I went from a standard S to a P85 and I have no regrets whatsoever. Like you, knowing this was a car I am going to have for many years I did not want to wish for all those years that I had pushed a little harder and gotten the most I could get.

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome
    :)

7. Atebit

Atebit Member

Are you "trading in" though AutoNation?

8. Cole Avenue

Cole Avenue Member

That's what I'm leaning towards, yes.

9. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

Congrats on jumping in. You will have no regrets at any time.

10. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

And another ICE driver makes the switch!
    Welcome!

11. muleferg

muleferg Member

Bienvenido. I'm upgrading from a Leaf.

12. Cole Avenue

Cole Avenue Member

The pdf on the "My Tesla" page updated this morning indicating they'd upgraded it to a P85.

Also sometime in the last hour or two I got my VIN. :D