Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joining the family! Need your advises :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I have been following this forum for quite a long time now even if I never really actively participated.

I was waiting for some cash to unlock early next year to by my X but with the end of the unlimited supercharger referral program, Tesla is kind of forcing my hand to buy earlier it seems :p

First of all, I'm located in Montréal, Québec, so harsh winters, and amazing people.

What I'm looking at so far is Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber upgrade, PUP, Seven Seat Interior, EAP and FSDC.

I have several questions I would like to run through your expertise:

1. I'm still debating between the 100D and P100D. Expect for the engines being more powerful and red calipers, What are the other notable differences between the two that would justify the price. I'm so sad that the active spoiler is gone :(

2. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 20" wheels because of range. Might go with the Sonic Carbon Wheels. Any recommendation for amazing winter tire? Or anything else concerning tires?

3. I was looking at maybe do a full wrap with XPEL Prime XR Plus (or other similar product). Any additional recommendation about this? I see that some people also apply some ceramic work after. Not really sure what is it and what it implies. Also, once a protective film like XPEL is applied, is it safe to go to a regular automatic washing, or is it still best to only do manual wash? And what about harsh winters impact on the film?

4. Lastly, if anyone from Canada, or better, from Québec, could recommend me a good company to insure my future Tesla, it would be much appreciated! :)

5. Bonus question: any must have third party accessories that you really love for the X?

Thanks all! I can't wait to have my new ride! I'm looking to order it before the deadline of September the 16th, so I should receive it before Christmas!

PS: I already have a referral code, no need to offer me a new one ;)

PPS: I might add some additional questions about Charging. Especially because within 2 years I plan to have several Powerwalls installed with a full solar roof.

Reactions: Don TLR
I have opinions on some of these issues:
First 100D has better range than does P100D. The extra power is very important for anyone who wants it and stupid for those who do not. It is purely subjective. For context I have had a long history of high performance cars, including my S P85D on which I happily paid for the Ludicrous upgrade and I have a P3D+ on order. Given my history of Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche etc you know what I would do, but..performance of the X100D is quit stellar too. The solution is simply. Drive both and if you're compelled to have the P do it. No compulsion: No P.

Second I'd definitely go with 20" and living where you do I'd have these tires and keep them on a separate set fo wheels:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire / Nokian Tires
I've lived in some very cold and snowy places so I am convinced the Finns do it best.

Third, I would most definitely go with a full XPel or the equivalent. Ceramic I do just to keep the car ultra shiny but it really is not necessary. I would also do hand wash, although taht is quite easy when you have XPel.

Fourth, of course I do not know
Fifth, I have never been to fond of most aftermarket stuff.

I hope you'll enjoy your X. It is a superb winter car!

Reactions: Bogobec
1) I thought the P version came with 22" turbines by default. They are the best looking wheel, imo, but you'll pay the price in ride comfort and mileage. They look the best and perform the best though. Although in winters, I'd probably swap to your winter wheels/tires anyway. The P version also has ventilated seats. You lose interior coloring options though. If you don't want CF or white/black, then you'll need to go with a non-P to get wood trims and whatnot.

2) I live in Texas so winter isn't a thing here.I love the look of sonic carbon, but $2k for a paint job is too high. Either powder coat them yourself or buy aftermarket. At least that's what I'm considering.

3) Must wrap areas on MX has a lot of good information. I've posted several times in there debating ceramic coating, PPF and other things. Others have a lot of good information there as well. I believe it holds up extremely well in winter, but again, I live in Texas :p

5) Any advice/experience with aftermarket accessories? I made this thread for this very reason. I listed the things that I plan on getting and have added reviews. I am waiting on a few more products and will do those reviews once I get them.

I have a P90D loaner while my is being worked on for two weeks. I have to say. I use ludicrous ALL THE TIME. It's great. If you can afford the P and you want gobs and gobs of instant torque, then go for it. Then again, I don't know how much faster it'll feel via butt-dyno. I'll report back once I get my car back from the shop and stomp on the throttle.

I received a lot of really useful advices, both here and by PM. Thanks a lot

1) I thought the P version came with 22" turbines by default. They are the best looking wheel, imo, but you'll pay the price in ride comfort and mileage. They look the best and perform the best though. Although in winters, I'd probably swap to your winter wheels/tires anyway. The P version also has ventilated seats. You lose interior coloring options though. If you don't want CF or white/black, then you'll need to go with a non-P to get wood trims and whatnot.

First time I talked to a representative about the P100D, that’s what he implied, but then the second time, talking to a different person, they told me that it was an option. I’ll have to go back and spend some more time talking to them. I’m pretty sure tho, because of range and ride tifness, that I’ll go with the 20”. Maybe order the sonic carbon ones and find some aftermarket silver ones for winter.

3) Must wrap areas on MX has a lot of good information. I've posted several times in there debating ceramic coating, PPF and other things. Others have a lot of good information there as well. I believe it holds up extremely well in winter, but again, I live in Texas :p

Excellent discussion. Convinced me to go full wrap :)
Now, not sure if I’ll add some ceramic coating on top of it. Depend on the final look I’ll want.

5) Any advice/experience with aftermarket accessories? I made this thread for this very reason. I listed the things that I plan on getting and have added reviews. I am waiting on a few more products and will do those reviews once I get them.

The trunk organizer look pretty neat! I might order the same as you. For wireless charging I was hoping for a solution that would fit the actual phone holder. I don’t like the idea of removing a tray each time I need to access the storage compartment.

To go back to my initial question about the difference between the 100D and P100D, of course it implies more powerful motors but then Tesla mentions Ventilated Seats, which is neat and Enhanced Interior Styling.

I couldn’t find a clear list of what is exactly enhanced. I know there are some nice metal pedals and I think lower dashboard being made of the same vegan leather than the seats. Do you guys know where I can find the full list of interior enhancements?

Thanks!

If you can swing the P100D, I would definitely do it. The torque is intoxicating. It is the first vehicle I have owned that allowed me to take all 3 of my kids with me (all still in car seats) and still feel like I was driving a sports car.

Visual details: 1) Red brake calipers; 2) ventilated seats; 3) All-black dash, even with the white interior; 4) Badging; 5)P100D Door sill for the Driver and Passenger; 6) P100D on the app, on the instrument panel, etc.

22's are still an option on the P100D and 20s are standard. 20's in sonic carbon are nice, but nothing gives the same stance as the 22s. And this is a P100D, it deserves the big wheel!! :) When I ordered, PUP was standard on P100Ds but not 100Ds. That has since changed and all X's get PUP (which they should, the vehicle was designed to work with automation).

When you put it on paper, there is nothing to justify the upgrade from a 100D to a P100D. But if you love torque, there's no question that you need the P.

Hi!

I have been following this forum for quite a long time now even if I never really actively participated.

I was waiting for some cash to unlock early next year to by my X but with the end of the unlimited supercharger referral program, Tesla is kind of forcing my hand to buy earlier it seems :p

First of all, I'm located in Montréal, Québec, so harsh winters, and amazing people.

What I'm looking at so far is Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber upgrade, PUP, Seven Seat Interior, EAP and FSDC.

I have several questions I would like to run through your expertise:

1. I'm still debating between the 100D and P100D. Expect for the engines being more powerful and red calipers, What are the other notable differences between the two that would justify the price. I'm so sad that the active spoiler is gone :(

2. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 20" wheels because of range. Might go with the Sonic Carbon Wheels. Any recommendation for amazing winter tire? Or anything else concerning tires?

3. I was looking at maybe do a full wrap with XPEL Prime XR Plus (or other similar product). Any additional recommendation about this? I see that some people also apply some ceramic work after. Not really sure what is it and what it implies. Also, once a protective film like XPEL is applied, is it safe to go to a regular automatic washing, or is it still best to only do manual wash? And what about harsh winters impact on the film?

4. Lastly, if anyone from Canada, or better, from Québec, could recommend me a good company to insure my future Tesla, it would be much appreciated! :)

5. Bonus question: any must have third party accessories that you really love for the X?

Thanks all! I can't wait to have my new ride! I'm looking to order it before the deadline of September the 16th, so I should receive it before Christmas!

PS: I already have a referral code, no need to offer me a new one ;)

PPS: I might add some additional questions about Charging. Especially because within 2 years I plan to have several Powerwalls installed with a full solar roof.

1. The P100D is fun to drive. If you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise, the 100D is still more than adequate (and so its the 75D to be honest...superchargers are everywhere).
2. From what i've been told, the winter tires Tesla sells (pirellis) suck so you're best buying your own aftermarket wheels/tires.
3. XPEL is the most famous wrap but i'm going with clearguard nano. I've seen them side by side and the CGN is definitely more clearer and has a hydrophobic coat as well. it's also more expensive but whatever
4. Dont know, im not canadian.
5. don't know, don't have the car yet haha

This is the vanity plate I just ordered here in Québec ;)

upload_2018-8-23_17-1-41.png

(XWING was already taken :( )

Reactions: xyeahtony
Can really only weigh in on 4. We went with TD Insurance, ended up being just over $1000 per year but that will depend on your driving history, where you live (we live in Northern Ontario, so rates are lower than Toronto etc) We have been with TD a while, so it was easy. The guy on the phone was SO excited to hear we were buying a Tesla, he started shouting. "YOU BOUGHT A TESLA! THAT IS AWESOME! YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT" I guess his friend's dad has an S that he has ridden in. I have never had a more excited insurance phone guy. LOL

Can really only weigh in on 4. We went with TD Insurance, ended up being just over $1000 per year but that will depend on your driving history, where you live (we live in Northern Ontario, so rates are lower than Toronto etc) We have been with TD a while, so it was easy. The guy on the phone was SO excited to hear we were buying a Tesla, he started shouting. "YOU BOUGHT A TESLA! THAT IS AWESOME! YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT" I guess his friend's dad has an S that he has ridden in. I have never had a more excited insurance phone guy. LOL

I called Aviva yesterday, talked to the least exited person about Tesla. Too bad I didn't had your experience ;)
They are supposed to be the ones partnering with EnsureMyTesla. The person on the phone wasn't aware at all and offered me 2800CA$ a year, which I found really expensive.

I'm going to try TD and National Bank later today to see if I'm more lucky.

We have a good driving history and are located in Montreal. What's the model of X you have?

Thanks

I just spent an whole evening and morning with a P100D that the Montreal SC gave me.

14D6CC1A-1EE4-4701-95DA-F0AC3051A3D4.jpeg

(Sorry for the poor picture quality. Was too in a hurry to drive it and didn’t care about taking better pics. Especially because it was a loaner and not mine ;) )

It is a truly amazing car. I didn’t know, but with the P100D, you can emulate the driving performance of all other model by just changing a parameter in the menus. (Don’t know if this is something you can do with all Tesla’s P versions or if the ones at the SC have some sort of different “demo” mode). In any case, I spent the evening with my two brothers in law testing the car as much as we could and trying to compare 100D and P100D.

After almost 200km of driving, I came to the conclusion that although the P100D is freaking amazing, there is not enough of it to justify me spending the additional 60K CA$ for this. I’d rather use that money to install a couple of Powerwalls and a solar array on my roof when this will became available in Montreal. Would have loved to have the ventilated seat tho.

The 100D it is then! Still need to iron down all the last details of tires, color and all, and I’m going to jump and order mine on September the 13th!

This is exciting!!

Last edited: