Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In SA where they are good at finding a way to take your money there is a new rule in relation to specifically the car being charged.

View attachment 1040295

View attachment 1040298
Yes the other states have had road rules 203B and 203C in effect for some time.
As they're national road rules - the wording is the same.

SA road rules are here - LZ

203C—Stopping in a parking area for the charging of electric-powered
vehicles
(1) A driver must not stop in a parking area for the charging of electric-powered vehicles
unless—
(a) the driver's vehicle is an electric-powered vehicle; and
(b) the electric-powered vehicle is plugged in to an external source of electricity.
Offence provision.
Note—
Electric-powered vehicle is defined in rule 203B.

You can park in a Jolt bay, plug in, and you're parked legally. You don't need to start a session to be parked legally.

(Of course the bay still needs the correct signage for the road rules to apply, otherwise it doesn't matter anyway)

You don't have to actually initiate a charging session - just be plugged in.

Hence the asterisk in my post, because that’s the behaviour that should be encouraged, even if the rule doesn’t require it… plug in and start a charging session.

I don’t know why the rule wasn’t written requiring a session to be started, because it would be trivial to prove whether that happened or not. I guess people for whom etiquette is optional would then start a session a terminate it 30 seconds later.

The next step would be to require people to vacate the spot say 15 minutes after a charging session terminates, but that would get messy for people who overnight charge (people do use EVX for overnight charging if they don’t have offstreet parking - do any Jolt users ever do that?). But that could be gotten around by requiring spots to be vacated only during the periods in which the timed parking restrictions apply. Parking restrictions in inner Sydney tend to end at either 8pm or 10pm depending on the area.

I think this rule will need to evolve over time as EVs and polechargers become more commonplace and issues arise in areas where offstreet parking is non-existent or rare - which is the case in much of inner Sydney.

Yes the other states have had road rules 203B and 203C in effect for some time.
As they're national road rules - the wording is the same.

SA road rules are here - LZ

You can park in a Jolt bay, plug in, and you're parked legally. You don't need to start a session to be parked legally.

(Of course the bay still needs the correct signage for the road rules to apply, otherwise it doesn't matter anyway)
Yes I just found the wording interesting - parking in the pay while the vehicle is being charged.
If the vehicle has finished charging is it still being charged?

Suspect it was decided it would be all too hard for parking inspectors to confirm whether a car was actually charging, and account for things like a power outage or fault that wasn't the car owners fault.
It’s good to see these steps being understood by different levels of government in regards to ice’ing EV charge bays.
I showed this to one of my intellectually special coworkers who is a rusted on diesel head and his reply was:
“Well EVs should not be allowed to park in non ev parking bays.”

I seriously did not how to reply, he was serious.

Maybe there is also a difference between a car parking next to a fuel bowser while they go shopping in an adjacent shopping centre was the simplist example that came to mind.

His reply: well normal car drivers are not that stupid.

I rest my case your honour.

Reactions: Jules22
I don't think I'll bother trying any more.

The Palm Beach (Sydney Northern Beaches) has been more-or-less my private DC charger since it opened. I don’t think I have encountered another car actually charging there when I turn up - which is usually right after I finish surfing and while I am having a coffee and a chat with my friends just down the road, so a 30-40 minute charging session.

I have, however, had it ICEd several times by tradie utes and assorted monster trucks - haven’t reported them because my car is kind of memorable (and the only EV that ever charges there pretty much) and I don’t want it vandalised in retribution if the tradie/apprentice cops the big fine. I only charge there opportunistically anyway - it’s just kind of satisfying to “save” on charging about the same cost as my coffee (at least on a cloudy day when i would be paying retail for the electricity at home rather than rooftop solar).

The Jolt in Beecroft (sydney) is almost ICE proof.

Red box = Jolt Box
Green box = No parking EV charging only bay
Purple mark = charging plug location
Yellow Circle = Unofficial unmarked parking option if Green box is ICED - reverse in against the Jolt,cable is long enough. Any car in the parking bay with white square might get blocked if EV parked in yellow circle but because of its odd shape no one parks there.

Re advertising:
The advertising screens are marked in blue. The Ev driver Jolting their car will never see it. The one facing Beecroft road possibly seen by traffic if they are stopped at the traffic light just south of picture. The screen at the yellow circle possibly seen by foot traffic walking south along Beecroft road or drivers returning to their car via the zebra markings but I don't think anyone notices because most of the parking are to the right

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 9.07.26 pm.png

Reactions: dronus
I have, however, had it ICEd several times by tradie utes and assorted monster trucks - haven’t reported them because my car is kind of memorable (
I'd photo them and send to the Council. They have a head ranger guy who is sympathetic to EVs and WILL chase them down or drop by a few times at suggested times to try and deter them. The utes/trucks should not be able to identify you as the dobber.