Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do people see as the use case of a 20-ish kW charger? To me, that's in the Range of Uselessness.

Up to 7 kW is perfectly adequate for overnight charging. Hence built-in (AC) chargers in EVs have about this power.
(Well) beyond 50kW is great for on a trip. Hence Superchargers are 120+ kW (SOC and battery dependent of course).

When would a two to four (?) hour charge be useful?
Uber drivers who want to return home for a meal break (and a nap) after 5-6 hours & be back on the road with decent range in 3-4 hours for the second half of their day, without necessarily relying on public DC rapid chargers.

Reactions: Hairyman
What do people see as the use case of a 20-ish kW charger? To me, that's in the Range of Uselessness.

25 kW DC chargers are significantly cheaper to install than a 50 kW and in the case of an old Leaf like mine, they won't charge much faster than 30-35 kW anyway. Old Leafs are also limited to AC charging at 3.6 kW so the different between that and 22 kW is more obvious. They are ideal to install in towns which are halfway between 50+ kW chargers, for owners of the older/cheaper EVs with limited ranges. Owners of longer range cars can skip them, but the units are still very handy for others (also as an emergency backup site for longer range EV owners who over-estimate their ability to reach the next charger)

Lots of them in the city though? Beat me. Basically like an AC charger except the cable is included and capable of going up to 22 kW for all vehicles.

Ok thanks all. So we have remote outback roadhouses where a proper DC fast charger would be prohibitively expensive, Uber drivers on a break, and old Leafs. Good thing we have this Jolt network coming then (well, not at outback roadhouses by the sounds of it. And not at the homes of Uber drivers).

;)

Nah I should be appreciative of anything which might help EVs. Who knows, sure there are plenty of use cases that I can't think of.

I think if placed in the correct spots it's very useful for those in apartments or garage less terraces.

Still not a fan of the single unit installs in Adelaide (or Gold Coast council similar 50/75kW rollout).

But the Sydney rollout seems really strange. Why limit yourself to 25kW when you are literally at a substation.

Greatest issue I see in Sydney is few of the green boxes are actually on the curb/kerb. Many are setback with a footbath or green space for protection.

First NSW charger now live in Mona Vale.
At a guess it's actually CCS2

Screenshot_20210912-164437.png

First NSW charger now live in Mona Vale.
At a guess it's actually CCS2

View attachment 708371
Thanks. I just installed the app and set it up. It is a “skin” of the Evie app and looks to use evconnect.com as the backend (ie same as Evie) BUT your user setup information seemingly isn’t shared between Evie and Jolt.

Wonder how they will go with policing it being ICEd. That’s a pretty busy and hectic spot.

It is a “skin” of the Evie app and looks to use evconnect.com as the backend
EvConnect seem to sell it as a SAAS app.
Fair enough too - it's a good app.

I suspect Chargefox is also built on the same backend, albeit maybe locally hosted and more customised.

Wonder how they will go with policing it being ICEd. That’s a pretty busy and hectic spot.

They are using the No Parking - EVs while charging excepted.
This means any ICErs can easily get hit with a No Parking fine - $116

They are using the No Parking - EVs while charging excepted.
Thanks. After I posted I had a chance to look at the DA information you linked on the council website and saw the intended signage; hopefully it has the desired effect. That station opening hasn’t been announced in the weekly council email newsletter yet has it, maybe next week? Soul Surf (about 50m away) still has one of my retro surfboards for sale; next time I call in to see them I’ll try parking/charging there.

FWIW I do like the other two charging bay locations shown in that DA - the ones in the carpark the other side of the roundabout, near the library and that good hole-in-the-wall coffee shop on Park St.

Again thanks for the pickup of this station opening; hopefully the first of many in the area.

Thanks. I just installed the app and set it up. It is a “skin” of the Evie app and looks to use evconnect.com as the backend (ie same as Evie) BUT your user setup information seemingly isn’t shared between Evie and Jolt.
The Evie app has listed chargers with the wrong charger type (CCS where it should be CCS2, Type 1 when it should be Type 2) a few times before as well, I've managed to get a few fixed through bug reports. Seems to be something about that EVConnect app that makes it an easy mistake to make for operators.

The Evie app now lists some Type 2 chargers as "Mannakes" (sic) but at least it has the plug diagram right now...

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
you wonder why they don't have faster charging speeds.
Could it be that they want to give 15 minutes and ~50km of free parking/charging (ie not too much, not too little) and it just happens that the 25kW rate achieves that, rather than the charging speed being driven from what is available in the big green transformer box.

The numbers probably wouldn’t add up for the business if they gave you 200km worth of driving in that 15 minutes (nobody would ever get to the point of paying for the kW after the free stuff). As it is they are giving you about $2 worth of electricity and a parking spot for 15 minutes - want more than that you pay. For people living in a unit or otherwise doing a quick shop and wanting to get up to about 100km worth of range for less cost than a home charge (assuming they don’t have solar panels) - ie half free, half at 42c - it will be a good solution.

What _would_ be cool though - and I have no idea whether the charger hardware or the backend communications allow for this - would be in the app when you start the charging session to be able to say “hit me with 100kW charging, I‘m happy to pay for all of it” then get billed for everything at 42c but at a much faster charge rate.

BTW this is how the (pricing) details for that charger in Mona Vale shops look in the app:

297649C7-AD0D-409C-BDEF-B41789C74251.jpeg

Could still have 100kW charger and just give away first 7kWh (it just might be only 5min).

I can understand why they capped at 25kW in Adelaide, as they are standalone sites, but these ones in Sydney obviously have far more power available.