Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple. It is the battery heating which is done by passing current through the motor stators, thus heating them and hence the battery. An LR can do this battery heating faster than a car with a single motor. It seems strange to heat the battery for such a low charge rate, but it does. My car "wastes" 6.5kW to 7kW at Jolt chargers until the battery temp gets over about 40-45degC.

Just get some charge at the Mona Vale JOLT. Climate off, radio off:

1. It was delivering just over 20kW gross according to the Jolt App (supposed to be 25, but you never seem to get above 22kW).
2. 11KW was going into the battery.
3. The usual 6kW of battery heating going into the two motors.
4. 0.5kW into the DC-DC converter. Zero into climate control/fans.
5. No idea from SmT where the other 2.5 to 3kW was going- I'm a bit suspicious of the Jolt measuring...
6. My battery eventually got to 45degC and the battery heating switched off. However nett into the battery did not get above 18.5kW.
On a positive note, the Jolt App has improved.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Chargers on the Supply side are rated at their supply power rating. On the load side you need to factor in conversion losses (usually 8-10%) that manifest typically as heat, but also the equation skews with time as current must be throttled as float charge increases. When charging the motors shouldn't be impacted since their on the battery load side and immobilised, unless we're counting magnetic fluxing to maintain position but when stopped most EVs will be forced into Park which is a mechanical brake to let the rotor cool.

Chargers on the Supply side are rated at their supply power rating. On the load side you need to factor in conversion losses (usually 8-10%) that manifest typically as heat, but also the equation skews with time as current must be throttled as float charge increases. When charging the motors shouldn't be impacted since their on the battery load side and immobilised, unless we're counting magnetic fluxing to maintain position but when stopped most EVs will be forced into Park which is a mechanical brake to let the rotor cool.
The Model 3 uses the motor windings in a zero-torque configuration to produce heat that is used to warm the batteries to the optimum temperature when DC charging, rather than a dedicated battery heater element as the S / X had.

Reactions: moa999
The Model 3 uses the motor windings in a zero-torque configuration to produce heat that is used to warm the batteries to the optimum temperature when DC charging, rather than a dedicated battery heater element as the S / X had.
Interesting trade off to eliminate one part at the expense of motor/rotor longevity. Wouldn’t have done that personally but then my systems have to last a lot longer than an average car I suppose.

And a 2nd Jolt charger has popped up in Mona Vale, seemingly across the roundabout from the other one.
Looking at it from Google Maps it might need longer cables than some of the others.
There were plans with council for one in the library carpark (about 50m from the current one, as you say basically straight across the roundabout). Will be a much less stressful location to use as - if it is where I think I remember from the plans - it is in an off street carpark, rather than a single parking space on what is quite a hectic street.

I will have a look on Thursday morning (can’t do it tomorrow, sorry) and also update OpenChargeMap (so it will be used in ABRP) if that hasn’t already been done by then.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999