Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And a 2nd Jolt charger has popped up in Mona Vale, seemingly across the roundabout from the other one.
Looking at it from Google Maps it might need longer cables than some of the others.
I am charging at the new Mona Vale Jolt charger right now. It is in the library carpark (off Park St) and is is (IMHO) a very much better location than the other Mona Vale one. The charger is an interesting/clever design, being close to, but not part of, the substation box.

56B1ACB3-1A33-4715-8E7F-15D8F1AEFF99.jpeg

I have added it to PlugShare (I think). Will also add to OpenChargeMap a bit later this morning.

I charged there yesterday. I agree that the unit is very neat. Also, JOLT has improved their App software. This is in a good location and great they painted it green from day 1. This is a very heavily used carpark.

In about 20mins of charging yesterday, I only averaged 12kW (confirmed also with ScanMyTesla). Front and rear motors consuming 5.8kW (front motor was at 106degC!). Climate control all off. JOLT claimed 22.8kW. Battery cells never reached the required 42+ degC to cut off the heating.

It is puzzling to know where approx 5kW of power was going. What is being reported by JOLT is either incorrect or there is some huge phantom drain in the car consuming a massive 5kW.

Previously, under similar circumstances, I used to get 15-16kW from JOLT before the battery temperature got high enough then about 21-22kW once the stator winding heating stopped.

I charged at the Mona Vale Library carpark Jolt charger again this morning - cool morning (15C) and after 25 minutes driving from Palm Beach. Definitely the battery heating sucked in a fair few of the “free” first 7 kW, but it did get going (up to 21kW or so) later in the session.

Something I noticed is the real-time kW from the charger is reported differently between the car (firmware 2022.12.3.2) and the app (iOS, version 4.8.1). I took the two photos below immediately after each other.

The app seems to show what is delivered to the car from the charger (21-22kW)…
898BF9DA-41DE-4537-9C37-920C858333F5.jpeg

…whereas the in-car display seems to show what is actually making it into the battery (10kW):

AF6AD122-4F54-48F6-874D-A48C0F127286.jpeg

The other displayed values (km/hr rate, time remaining and kWh added) agree between the app and the car, but the current kW values look like power “used” vs “added” respectively. I wonder where 12kW are going, but I guess the heat pump plus front and back motor afterburners all doing battery heating could well add up that sort of number.

As I said above, by the time I got back to my car from doing my small grocery shop the battery was getting 21kW.

Interesting pattern in terms of what made it through to the battery over time during the charging session (from the Nikola app - I only have that and TeslaFi, I don’t use ScanMyTesla, sorry). You can see from about 20 minutes onwards the battery got pretty-much everything the charger could deliver:

B605740F-9363-4D7E-BA00-8B2CB7DD7530.jpeg

Anyway, I got about 9kWh into the battery for $2 while I had a coffee and bought some stuff from Coles :)

Yeah - the app displays what’s being provided by the charger, while the car displays what’s making it into the battery. On new cars, I think they’ll do 5 kW AC compressor heating plus 3 kW drive unit heating for each drive unit. On a dual motor car, that’ll add up to about 11 kW of battery heating, which roughly aligns with what you’re seeing.

Basically Tesla needs to ad an option to cancel battery heating under 30kW DC charge rate otherwise these chargers are extremely expensive units that could acheive basically the same result with a cheap 11kW EVSE with a payment gateway.

Exactly. Battery heating is only relevant if you are trying to optimise really fast charging rates. I don’t know where the breakpoint would be, but I suspect below 40 kW DC it becomes increasingly pointless.

All user input is error.

I know this is a favourite Elon saying that’s supposed to sound cool and insightful and paradigm-breaking, but it’s actually arrogant and dumb. If all user input is error, we’d still be living in caves. If Elon truly believes this, then no wonder FSD is still as far away as ever - that attitude explains a lot.

I know this is a favourite Elon saying that’s supposed to sound cool and insightful and paradigm-breaking, but it’s actually arrogant and dumb. If all user input is error, we’d still be living in caves. If Elon truly believes this, then no wonder FSD is still as far away as ever - that attitude explains a lot.
Mr Musk already on a different orbit to that of earth....like most shiny rear'ed folks says one thing does another

Perhaps, but they weren't designing process automation when we were living in caves.

While this isn't a discussion about Tritium chargers, anyone who has used the one at Fairy Meadow (CCS1 adapter required) knows how infinitely stupid it is to put a Start button on an EV charger. Not only does it serve no purpose, it wears out. You can really wear out your knuckles trying to get that crappy old button to register that you're pressing it. Better to design to not require user input where it isn't needed.

The idea of telling your car's battery that you know better than it about what keeps it healthy is rather presumptuous. The issue here isn't that the user knows best (we probably don't), it's that the software designers haven't considered an edge case and thus the software just does the wrong things in the background. Better to just make the software do the right thing than add yet another configurable setting that a user can misunderstand.

Reactions: cafz
The idea of telling your car's battery that you know better than it about what keeps it healthy is rather presumptuous. The issue here isn't that the user knows best (we probably don't), it's that the software designers haven't considered an edge case and thus the software just does the wrong things in the background. Better to just make the software do the right thing than add yet another configurable setting that a user can misunderstand.

Saying user input is not required for something (because an algorithm can get it right 100% of the time, without exception) is very different to saying user input is always wrong.

I have no issue with the former. DCFC start buttons and deciding whether battery heating is needed or not definitely fit in that camp.

I have a lot of issue with the latter.

The difference though is it's Tesla providing the battery warranty.

Other manufacturers don't appear to preheat at all, and have a flat charging curve of 2-2.5C to 80%.

Like many things Tesla does it differently with peaks up to 3.5C but steeper curves.