Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JOLT 'freemium' chargers in NZ - what's the catch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An Australian company called JOLT has started installing 'free' chargers around NZ. (Meet the Fleet - JOLT - Drive Electric). 'Free' being the first 7kWh per 24 hours. So about 7 minutes at 50kW.

But do you think you can find out what the real pricing structure is? Nowhere on their website is there any indication on pricing or plans? You shouldn't have to sign up in order find out the pricing.....'give us your details and marketing data, and then we'll tell you how much it's going to cost'...no thanks. At least ChargeNet are open and transparent about their pricing.

Can anyone explain how JOLT actually works?

M

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Audietron
An Australian company called JOLT has started installing 'free' chargers around NZ. (Meet the Fleet - JOLT - Drive Electric). 'Free' being the first 7kWh per 24 hours. So about 7 minutes at 50kW.

But do you think you can find out what the real pricing structure is? Nowhere on their website is there any indication on pricing or plans? You shouldn't have to sign up in order find out the pricing.....'give us your details and marketing data, and then we'll tell you how much it's going to cost'...no thanks. At least ChargeNet are open and transparent about their pricing.

Can anyone explain how JOLT actually works?

M
Nothing is ever free....
It's some advertising based service, so selling data or serving extra content to provide free charge component?

It's "Free for the first...", so after the first amount of charge I would imagine the rate goes from "free" to "expensive", but it's just a guess. It would be really easy to over-stay by accident. Mitre 10, or whomever hosts the spot, is probably subsidizing a bit of the "free" part in order to get you to stop at the store. Is there a yearly membership fee? I wouldn't be surprised. Idle fee? Maybe.
It's probably a good deal *if* you have the discipline to use only use it for small charges and *if* you don't have to go too far out of your way.

Australian Jolt users are also reporting that they are not achieving the full 25Kw charging speeds as their Tesla tries to warm the battery to achieve an optimal DC charging session, which uses a substantial amount of the available 25Kw capacity.

• Funny
They are only 25kW chargers and the first 7kW is free after that the charge is $0.50c per kW.
So 20 min of free charging and then $12.50/hr thereafter. Not sure I'd even bother plugging in at mitre10 at the risk of either having to rush out and unplug or start paying at that rate. 7kWh free is less than $1 of free electricity as we almost exclusively charge on night rates.

So 20 min of free charging and then $12.50/hr thereafter. Not sure I'd even bother plugging in at mitre10 at the risk of either having to rush out and unplug or start paying at that rate. 7kWh free is less than $1 of free electricity as we almost exclusively charge on night rates.
I doubt Mitre10 would remove existing free chargers, they have Tesla wall chargers with restrictions to charge upto 80% for free in place... most Mitre10.

I hate this type of GOTCHA business model. These so called 'free' chargers are getting a bit of press exposure at the moment. But once people cotton onto how they really work there will be some backlash, which does nothing but give ammunition the likes of Mike Hosking and the rest of the anti-EV idiots.

And not a big surprise that it is an Australian based company.

Reactions: kavyboy
Not that I don't believe you but where did you get that pricing from? I couldn't find any reference to pricing anywhere.
The pricing is in the app, which I downloaded but not sure if I will ever use it.
Also pricing on Plugshare:

I hate this type of GOTCHA business model. These so called 'free' chargers are getting a bit of press exposure at the moment.
It's pretty clear that it's only a small amount Free - and the remainder seems cheaper (although also slower at 25kW) than most other DC chargers in NZ. If you can't charge at home or are away from home, it's a reasonable choice.

The Gotcha is more for the site itself - the model is advertising supported - basically allowing them to install their advertising signs - but rather than paying the council (or in this case possibly Mitre10) for the privilege (eg. City of Sydney contract is reportedly $300m over 10yrsn for a few thousand signs), they are using the free EV charging as the way in..

Very similar model to Volta in the US.

I've used one of the stations a few times in Sydney when convenient to other activities.
Some times I've gotten 5kWh in 15min for free and then left.
Other times paid a few $s for 10-15kWh.
At those levels it's cheap charging.

• Informative
The pricing is in the app, which I downloaded but not sure if I will ever use it.
Plugshare is showing $0.50/kWh not $0.50/kW like someone thought above. I have seen mention of this mixup re Jolt confusing kW and kWh which is pretty amateur. In any case, $0.50/kWh is competing with whatever ChargeNet is charging now (I forget) and $0.70/kWh ish for Superchargers. For those of us who can't charge at home, its based on Supercharger pricing its $4.90 worth of free charging and then still cheaper than other chargers. If you plug in and go for lunch or something I think its good value.

WOW those things are huge!
Don't think they need that canopy that things big enough to block out the sun and cause a solar eclipse

1035069.jpg

• Funny
In the T&C of Jolt NZ, coming soon to a Mitre10 near you, potentially the not so free, free charger

3. Subscription Model (Not Currently Offered)

3.1 In the future JOLT may offer Subscription Charging where in order to access the Services, you must first purchase a subscription through the Application (the Subscription) and pay the applicable fee for the selected Subscription (the Subscription Fee). Currently, JOLT is only offering Pay Per Use Model set out in Clause 6.

T&C of Jolt AU looks like they have subscription now

3. Subscription

3.1 Subscription Charging where in order to access the Services, you must first purchase a subscription through the Application (the Subscription) and pay the applicable fee for the selected Subscription (the Subscription Fee). Currently, JOLT offering free or paid subscriptions with Pay Per Use Fees, as set out in Clause 6.

List of Jolt Mitre10 current & future locations

Last edited:
  • Informative
Tiny compared to the Jolt units in Sydney.

View attachment 879238

But that's because they are rolling them out in conjunction with the local grid operator (AusGrid) and this is just a skin on top of an electricity substation.

View attachment 879240
Little smaller than units very common at India I saw during visit in 2005-2007... they were public internet kiosk with old style desktop kiosk inside, so person walking by can literally seat inside and have 30 minutes free internet.