Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jon McNeill to depart Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jon McNeill, Tesla’s President of Sales and Services, is leaving the company to become chief operating officer at Lyft, a San Francisco-based ride-hailing company.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced McNeill’s departure on the company’s earnings call. McNeill has been an active TMC member, often helping solve problems or offer up a special experience for a Tesla fan...

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/02/07/jon-mcneill-leaves-tesla-for-lyft-sales-and-service-to-report-to-musk/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard something about Jon on the conference call and was coming here to see if I heard what I thought I did. We met Jon at an event and have seen posts about him and ones he's made and all I can say is I'm sorry he's leaving Tesla. Kind of in shock and pretty much missed hearing the rest of the call. Have had a really positive impression of him. I think his new responsibilities a while back had him traveling a lot so maybe that's part of it. Definitely wishing him all the best. I think he's been a great face for Tesla.

OMG he's gone to Lyft. Chief Operating Officer.

I didn't see any improvement in Tesla customer/company/sales/service/delivery communications under McNeill's leadership. In fact I saw new roadblocks in addition to the same old glitches. What was new was creating a call center barrier between customer and service center, forcing customers to repeat their whole story/inquiry to every damn person in the chain, along with multiple on-hold waits, before actually being connected to a service center. I spoke to manager at service centers and they hated the new setup, and acknowledged customers were unhappy with it.

The call center gambit was Tesla embracing the classic Silicon Valley "customer avoidance" strategy -- and this is not imho the right way to go for a company like Tesla. If ONLY Elon viewed optimizing the the relationship/communicatons between company and customer the same way he views optimizing the factory as if it were a product.... if ONLY he were as obsessed with that. Tesla SHOULD have the best vehicle ownership experience in the world but they don't, and I still fear it's going to get worse because I see no evidence they have learned a thing in the past say two years and now we have Model 3 ramping up and shipping out to a much more non-early-adopter/not-so-forgiving customer demographic. By the way I also see the same communications screwups in their solar business. Boneheaded amateur-hour screwups.

WHEN will Tesla do something about all this!?

I didn't see any improvement in Tesla customer/company/sales/service/delivery communications under McNeill's leadership. In fact I saw new roadblocks in addition to the same old glitches. What was new was creating a call center barrier between customer and service center, forcing customers to repeat their whole story/inquiry to every damn person in the chain, along with multiple on-hold waits, before actually being connected to a service center. I spoke to manager at service centers and they hated the new setup, and acknowledged customers were unhappy with it.

The call center gambit was Tesla embracing the classic Silicon Valley "customer avoidance" strategy -- and this is not imho the right way to go for a company like Tesla. If ONLY Elon viewed optimizing the the relationship/communicatons between company and customer the same way he views optimizing the factory as if it were a product.... if ONLY he were as obsessed with that. Tesla SHOULD have the best vehicle ownership experience in the world but they don't, and I still fear it's going to get worse because I see no evidence they have learned a thing in the past say two years and now we have Model 3 ramping up and shipping out to a much more non-early-adopter/not-so-forgiving customer demographic. By the way I also see the same communications screwups in their solar business. Boneheaded amateur-hour screwups.

If only they'd listen to you.

Sorry to be the party pooper here-
he didn´t fit in there.
Always a bit too "teflon", too cordial.
Could work anywhere. These guys have a short lifespan under Musk.
His "self reflection" in the "parts gate" by agressively pointing fingers to the body shops and his handling of the Ludicrous, 90 "A" Battery etc. were abysmal.

Lyft and after that the next 6 companies will get him somewhere ;x

I do know what you are saying about the call center. We scheduled an appointment through them for our yellow bordered MCU and when we got to our appointment, turned out that while they had the part in stock at our SvC, they were all tagged for other owners so we had to reschedule. Clearly there were things to be worked out between call center and service centers but I do believe the call centers were set up to take phone pressure off of the service centers and let them focus on doing the service work. Everyone was saying how busy the SvCs were and how long it took to get their car in and repaired.

So in some respects being a new approach without time to work out issues like what we experienced, I'm not sure I'd agree it's really fair to call it a fail so soon, nor do I feel it's customer avoidance strategy. We felt it was either a training issue on the call center part (not knowing how parts were tagged in stock) or more detail was needed in how parts were represented in their computer system. For now I'll say it's growing pains but feel it wasn't necessarily a bad approach. We were able to set up an appointment when the SvC was closed, so didn't have to remember to call back the next morning or on a Monday if we happened to called over the weekend. Unfortunately late evening and over the weekend are times when it's most convenient for my husband to schedule things. Most of the times when he calls businesses he get's recorded messages that he'll have to call back on the next business day.

Reactions: Pdub2015
I've had the pleasure of getting to know Jon over the last year and am really sorry to see him go.

I have seen many positive improvements in both sales and service - and so have employees. While it may seem the same to some of you, you're forgetting how much ramping they've done in the last year to accommodate the Model 3 tsunami about to hit. That was a large nut, as any of you who have had to hire and train people surely know.

There isn't a single time that he didn't respond when he became aware of a customer needing attention. Many of you have been on the receiving end of that. He genuinely cares about customers - I saw him with tears in his eyes when delivering the Model 3 to graniteds here on the forum. My favorite moment from that day was a moment when he was walking along with graniteds, deep in conversation, and just reached over and took over carrying the portable oxygen generator without skipping a beat. It's not show. He's genuine. Lyft is lucky to get him.

Sorry to be the party pooper here-
he didn´t fit in there.
Always a bit too "teflon", too cordial.
Could work anywhere. These guys have a short lifespan under Musk.
His "self reflection" in the "parts gate" by agressively pointing fingers to the body shops and his handling of the Ludicrous, 90 "A" Battery etc. were abysmal.

Lyft and after that the next 6 companies will get him somewhere ;x

Funny you got that impression of him. When we met him and Franz at an event, I said to my husband afterwards how lucky Tesla was to have such genuinely nice, personable, approachable guys working for them at this level. I stood in line waiting to talk to both and saw how patient they were among the large crowd of people wanting to talk to them. Heard Jon talking to several people who had experienced service issues and never got the impression he was trying to brush them off. He took the time to listen to them and I heard him offer them his contact info and asked them to follow up with him. Also saw on TMC how many times he stepped in to help out people...in so many ways. He never had to meet the recent two Model 3 owners like he did and give them a personal tour. His job among other responsibilities as I saw it was also to be a face for Tesla customers, and I guess cordial is something I would hope to encounter if I had a problem and needed some intervention. Well that's been my personal knowledge of him and his work with Tesla. I seriously doubt Elon has the time to reach out to customers in the way that Jon did and expect they've started a search already.