TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jonny Ives

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by clmason, May 2, 2014.

1. clmason

clmason Member

2. maoing

maoing Active Member

link? I can't find any report from Google.

3. evme

evme Member

I doubt he would. After Jobs passed away, he pretty much got rid of all "competition" within the company. He now has full control of the company to the point that even Cook won't question him. So I kind of doubt he would leave to be under someone else when he got so far.

But playing hypothetically, it would make a lot of news, Apple stock will take a large nose dive like before due to the panic. Won't make much difference for Tesla., maybe a few points jump at max.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#4 dsm363, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Franz did a nice job with the Model S so while it would be interesting Tesla really doesn't need Ive. Agree that he has little reason to leave Apple too.

5. AC1K

AC1K Member

judging by some of the designs hes come up with, he is someone that takes form over function, and with a vehicle that is something i would not want.

6. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

If Jony Ive left Apple for Tesla, I think that Apple's share price would crater. While I'm sure that Apple has many talented designers who work with Ive, Ive is the most publicly visible and known creative force within the company.

A hypothetical loss of Ive to Tesla would send 2 signals to the broader market: (1) Apple loses its design leader. Uncertainty that they will retain design leadership.
    (2) Ive no longer regards Apple as the best place for creative work. Very very bad sign for the company's future.

As to whether Jony Ive would be a good fit at Tesla… I'm not sure. Mr. Ive has generally excellent design work, but being elite in consumer electronics might not translate into the automotive space. There's just no way to know.