Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joshua Brown's family hires law firm - attorney claims more accident victims coming forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not participate in a Class Action suit in the US.

It's there to make the lawyers rich, and they really don't give a hoot about the plaintiffs.

Most are settled, and the attorney's write in "after xx days, any monies not claimed are to be retained by the plaintiff's legal team.

So it in is the lawyer's best interests to pay out as little as possible to each plaintiff, and to make it a serious PITA to collect.

nVidia was sued for notebook chipsets. The lawyers ended up with 90% of the settlement if my math is correct. If your $1600 notebook could not be repaired (they could not), you were to accept a Walmart Special. No touchscreen, less RAM, less HDD, slower chip, etc. Only the screen size was comparable. If you didn't like it? Too bad.

Following lawsuits involving airplane crashes I have been shocked at the misinformation that is allowed to stand. A paid consultant basically lies and the jury buys it. In one case the expert said that just flying an approach kept you IFR current and that you didn't have to do any holds. That is blatantly wrong. In one case an instrument that was deemed by the NTSB to have been functioning properly during the accident was still found at fault. The result was that the manufacturer went bankrupt.

I found the warnings in the Hyundai Genesis manual interesting. Among the cases where AEB may not work, Hyundai lists:

An unusual shape vehicle is ahead such as a trailer, special access vehicle or a truck with unique shaped cargo.

@golfingBuddha - did my reporting the news offend you?

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 6.51.34 PM.png

I think a reasonable person would conclude that the family would sue everyone and their mother.
*changing subject slightly* Consider the optics of fighting in court a Navy Seal war veteran and noted Teala supporter. It's a tough call because even though they can settle without assuming liability it opens the door if they settle.

There are lot of things that make the navy seal look really bad.

There is his abysmal driving record. A ton of speeding tickets within the last 6 years.
The youtube video he posted of AP saving his butt actually documented his own bad driving where he had zero situational awareness.
An eyewitness claims he was going faster than 85mph in the 65mph zone.
The Harry Potter especially if the Harry Potter disk was in the dvd player.

I'm not sure how the lawyer can bring in other completely unrelated accidents into the mix. Some of the AP accidents have been because the user assumed it was on when it wasn't.

I don't see how suing Tesla is really the best course of action for the family. Plus he was a Tesla fan and it seems a bit odd for a family to sue something their son loved. Why betray their son unless he was without a doubt a victim of something? The family already expressed what seemed like clear knowledge of what it was.

To me the truck driver/company is the most likely target, but even with that I don't think they know the exact point where the truck driver started making the turn in relation to the Tesla. Plus trucks are so slow that they have to count on oncoming traffic to slow down for them or else they'd be waiting all day. What really matters is that the truck driver gave him ample room to do so. The truck driver can't be forced to wait for a completely distracted driver to go by.

Reactions: Shawn Snider
Time to short the stock??;)
But seriously, this is expected and necessary! Unfortunately legislation will be required to implement further advances in AP features,
Like it or hate it, litigation often serves to shape and even modernize our legal landscape faster than if we waited for legislators to do their jobs. Even then, most legislators are only good at doing two things: (a) nothing; and (b) overreacting.

I don't see how suing Tesla is really the best course of action for the family. Plus he was a Tesla fan and it seems a bit odd for a family to sue something their son loved. Why betray their son unless he was without a doubt a victim of something? The family already expressed what seemed like clear knowledge of what it was.

I don't think it's clear the trial lawyer has concluded the best action is a lawsuit either. What the lawyer has done is go public to the press - that is a tactical move. What the lawyer's next move is - we'll see.

As for judging Joshua Brown's family and Monday morning quarterbacking how I, some random guy on the internet, believe they *should* feel - I'm not going to do that.

Attempting to define which actions amount to a "betrayal" of their son and his estate when you don't know their son and you don't know them either? You're not serious are you? How old are you man? Do you have a son? Have you had one killed in a car accident?

I love Tesla but I'm not going to judge how Mr. Brown's family should feel or how they should honor their son. That ain't my business.

Reactions: deonb
Anyone else notice the article was from Fortune? Not coincidental I don't think.

Also, by the lawyer statement it appears pretty clear that the truck driver is the one getting sued.

"On May 7, 2016, Joshua Brown (40) of Canton, Ohio, was killed in a motor vehicle crash in Williston, Florida, caused by a semi tractor-trailer which crossed a divided highway and caused the fatal collision with Josh’s Tesla. Josh was a master Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) technician in the US Navy, an exceptional citizen, and a successful entrepreneur. He was a proud member of the Navy’s elite Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG). Most importantly, he was a loving son and brother."

Recent Verdicts, Cleveland OH Law Firm : Landskroner Grieco Merriman

I don't think it's clear the trial lawyer has concluded the best action is a lawsuit either. What the lawyer has done is go public to the press - that is a tactical move. What the lawyer's next move is - we'll see.

As for judging Joshua Brown's family and Monday morning quarterbacking how I, some random guy on the internet, believe they *should* feel - I'm not going to do that.

Attempting to define which actions amount to a "betrayal" of their son and his estate when you don't know their son and you don't know them either? You're not serious are you? How old are you man? Do you have a son? Have you had one killed in a car accident?

I love Tesla but I'm not going to judge how Mr. Brown's family should feel or how they should honor their son. That ain't my business.

Need I remind you that you're the one that posted about how the accident could be the best thing for Tesla. A lot of people saw that in poor taste. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and simply stated how I felt. I didn't chastise you for it.

This entire thread is all about speculation. We have no idea what's REALLY going on. The lawyers just seem to be gathering information, and going to the press is part of that process.

If my parents sued in a similar situation then I would feel betrayed by them. That they didn't understand that I knew perfectly what I was doing. That I read the manual, and that I contributed to discussions about it, etc. It's as simple as that, and considering the things I do it's highly likely that it will happen at some point. Some of us are just risk takers and we die doing what we love.

What I was really getting at was I doubted that Tesla was the one being targeted, and it was the truck driver that was.

Last edited:
There are lot of things that make the navy seal look really bad.

There is his abysmal driving record. A ton of speeding tickets within the last 6 years.
The youtube video he posted of AP saving his butt actually documented his own bad driving where he had zero situational awareness.
An eyewitness claims he was going faster than 85mph in the 65mph zone.
The Harry Potter especially if the Harry Potter disk was in the dvd player.

I'm not sure how the lawyer can bring in other completely unrelated accidents into the mix. Some of the AP accidents have been because the user assumed it was on when it wasn't.

To me the truck driver/company is the most likely target, but even with that I don't think they know the exact point where the truck driver started making the turn in relation to the Tesla. Plus trucks are so slow that they have to count on oncoming traffic to slow down for them or else they'd be waiting all day. What really matters is that the truck driver gave him ample room to do so. The truck driver can't be forced to wait for a completely distracted driver to go by.

That eyewitness report is contradicted by the police report that he was going 65 mph: mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/business/us-safety-agency-investigates-another-tesla-crash-involving-autopilot.html

They also reported that nothing was found to be playing in the wrecked car. So the version of events reported by the truck driver, who is at fault and being charged, doesn't seem to be accurate at all.

Unfortunately, that's the version that was printed first and so now many people are faulting a dead man, just because he's not around to defend himself against the lies of the person who killed him.

Reactions: callmesam