TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

'Joule' electric MPV boasts 400km range

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dpeilow, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

400km range "at a price of £13,000" sounds rather ambitious.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#3 doug, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    Ya know that's interesting. I had always though of those names not as SI (mks) units but for the scientists the units were eventually named for, since they were all pioneers in the field of electricity and magnetism (E&M).

Volt (Volta): unit of electric potential
    Ampera (Ampere): unit of electric current
    Tesla: unit of magnetic field
    Coulomb: unit of electric charge
    (any others?? Ohm, Siemens, Farad (Faraday), Weber, or Henry yet?)

Joule brakes this patten, however, since he is more known for mechanics and thermodynamics (though resistive loss, aka Joule heating, is named for him). His name is given to the SI unit of energy, which is a quantity whose scope is broader than just E&M. So yeah, when I hear Joule I think of the SI unit, since he's not so much an E&M guy.

Any cars named after cgs units yet, e.g., Gauss, Oersted, Biot, or Maxwell?

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#4 dpeilow, Mar 5, 2009
    I noticed that. It says it is R200,000 for the car (about $20,000), but the battery pack is leased separately at $150/month.

That does sound more credible for a car without battery. Whether the lease pays for the battery cost is slightly more dubious.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Ah yes, the old "lease the pack" trick.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

First off the public knows nothing of what you speak. Second, when focus group tested, Joule would sound enough like a precious gem (and a pop singer) that it would have the cashe of all the other cleverly hip and cool "mispelings" that products like to sport.

Snacks are rife
    Ry Krisp, Rice Krispies, Cheez It snack crackers, Kleenex, Quik chocolate milk, Cookie Stix, So-Dri paper towels, Chicken in a Biskit snack crackers, Wisk detergent, Kozy Kitten cat food, Reddi Wip, Ty-D-Bol toilet cleaner, Diet Rite cola, Brite floor cleaner, Star Kist tuna and Sun Kist orange juice, Kool-Aid, Morningstar Farms Chik patties and nuggets, and Kleen Guard

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#7 doug, Mar 5, 2009
    Sure, that's definitely true. But those that chose the names did so referencing the units, or the scientists they're named for, and their association with electricity and/or energy. Coulomb Technologies (charging station company) is kinda paying for it. No one seems to know how to spell or pronounce that name. Just remembering that Siemens (unit of conductance) founded his own company, so I guess that name is taken.

8. domenick

domenick Nerd

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

When I see stories like this, it reminds me of DeLorean. Which reminds me of the Revenge movie. Which reminds me, "Thank you, Roadster owners!" And makes me more impatient to get my S before there's "drama", if there's drama.

11. domenick

domenick Nerd

What? You no like puns? :biggrin:

12. Vger

Vger Active Member

To me, the collapse of Optimal just indicates how tenacious and fortunate Elon and the core Tesla team have been. Probability does not shine on this sort of venture. Having started a successful tech company myself, which had several "near-death" experiences like Tesla before eventually hitting critical mass, I know how gut-wrenching the process is. I just watched "Revenge of the Electric Car" last night, and the scenes of Elon during the period just before the Roadster could ship in volume, before the Model S launch, and before the IPO are pretty telling. The critics have probability on their side, yes, but the have no concept of true innovation or entrepreneurship, and the rare air that feeds it.