TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Journalists Trespass, Assault Tesla employees at the Gigafactory

Discussion in 'News' started by yobigd20, Oct 13, 2015.

1. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Unbelievable. What were they thinking?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. That's horrible. I hope they will be ok.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I can see it now:

"It was an accident..."
    "We didn't mean to hit them..."
    "We were just trying to leave as they had requested but they jumped in front (and behind) of our vehicle..."
    "We're the real victims of those beastly security people at Tesla. Just what are they hiding, anyway?"

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

What I find most curious is that it was added as a blog post rather than just handled privately.

6. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

At the end of the post it states that there have been previous trespassers, but hurting an employee went over the line and will not be accepted.

7. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

I think it's becoming an increasingly widespread problem of people trying to get into the gigafactory to track progress. There are many interests at heart here on both the good and bad side of things... I'm not even a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just stating the truth.

8. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel Member

Although the trespassers are probably 100% responsible for this incident, I bet "the local media" feel that Tesla has been unreasonable in allowing access to the factory, even in the early stages of construction.

We were in the Sparks area about a year or so ago and drove to the entry gate of what we thought was the construction site. We asked if that were the case and the the guard wouldn't answer but angrily scolded us for being there, ordered us to turn around immediately and leave the area. It seemed a bit over-the-top.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Oh my gosh! Really, a few pics of a factory being built are worth felonious assault charges. What is wrong with people?

10. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Where there's demand, supply will attempt to comply. I believe all - certainly most - of us have some culpability.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That struck me too. I wonder if it's to counter anything that may come out in the RGJ? Either way, seemed a bit catty to post. Perhaps if the last paragraph were expanded on to make the point of the story to be about Tesla's property, safety, privacy and measures taken against trespassers in the future it would matter more.

This is a widespread blog post. If it's directed to trespassers at the GF, then isn't that a fairly small audience? Maybe signs around the property and an editorial in the local paper would work better.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I wondered that, too ... until I read RGJ's story on events. They made it sound like thug security guards & didn't own up to any responsibility. Like, say, their people were trespassing. They've got plenty of facts at hand, but somehow could only say things like 'driver of vehicle was arrested'.

I could see RGJ's story gaining legs far beyond their local audience - and assume the blog post was done to keep some balance to the story. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

13. taurusking

taurusking Member

Just because there is freedom for press does not give them authority to trespass and assault Tesla employees.

14. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

The current version of the story does in fact name the photographer, who seems to be the photographer credited with most of the pictures in their prior stories. That leads one to wonder if the other person is the reporter who has written all of the stories for the paper.

15. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, the newspaper story, which came out first, left a lot facts dangling there, like a window that had a rock thrown at it. The implication was that the security guards escalated things first. So Tesla decided to get their version of the story out there as well. There is a lot of information that isn't being told to us right now. With criminal charges pending, I guess that isn't unusual.

16. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I guess the "journalists" missed the day in their journalism class where they covered zoon lenses.

When you are on someone else's private property, you are their guest. I hope Tesla throws the book at them.

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

"A rock had been used to shatter the driver’s-side window and the driver’s-side seat belt had been cut in half."

well that's interesting too...I wonder if they [Tesla security] smashed the window and took the keys out and then physically cut the guy out and held him down to restrain him.

honestly sounds like Tesla security boxed them in and they did everything to try and escape. I'm sure they'll use a self defense argument (guards threatening them, they were scared, they were attacked, etc).

18. electracity

electracity Active Member

The story does offer physical evidence that the security guards tried to remove the men from the vehicle. The states attorney version will be interesting.

19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#20 dsm363, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    They didn't need to escape though. According to Tesla at least they were asked to stay put for police to arrive. Sounds like they wanted to get out of there and not get into trouble.