Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Judging Interest: Tesla HPWC in Port Angeles

Interest in placing a Model S HPWC in Port Angeles, WA

• Yes, I would love one there and would be willing to help pay for the charger

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Yes, I would like one there, but I can't/don't want to pay for it

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, I'm not interested

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Wild Birds Unlimited is a good store but it's not a great place to hang out for a long time. It would be better than nothing but I'd vastly prefer PA or any town area that can offer some choices for meals and activities. I also like the PA idea because it's about 27 miles further on 101 for those heading around the peninsula and it gives a chance for maximum charge before heading off into the wilds of Vancouver Island. Thanks for spearheading this buzzbuzz! I'm willing to help if there's anything you'd like to delegate. Also, we'd contribute to installing the HPWC!

Additionally, a charger at Kalaloch Lodge would make the Olympic Loop very do-able from the Seattle area. There's beach access, hotel/cabins and a campground just up the road. There's a restaurant in the lodge which serves most hours between 8am and 8pm and a little store in the on-site gas station. If they'll let us sit in the lobby area, that would be good. It's not a town, but it's the closest we'll get on that stretch of 101.

Last edited:
Never subtract. Only add. More is better.

All the work is in finding a place to host the charger and do the install. The cost of the unit is nothing.
The cost of moving the unit is more than it is worth.

Find a place that will install an HPWC and ask for contributions to buy the unit.
I'll contribute $50 to just about *any* HPWC you can put in Washington state.

Has there been any further investigation regarding putting a charger in Port Angeles?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to all of you in this process...the story right now is that I haven't had time to get over there to start knocking on doors, as it were, to see if anyone is interested in letting us install one. Emails have gone unanswered and I just haven't had the time to go over there.

now the good news...this week is open for me, so I'm going to block off time to go and just get it done. I think I'll plan on going over there tomorrow...I'll report back when I know more. Here's hoping I can find SOMEONE to let us do it.

I heard that Port Angeles is putting in an esplanade in the immediate future. I don't know who is in charge of the project. There is several business groups in PA as well as the Chamber of Commerce you can check with for ideas about who might be receptive. Black Ball Ferries or the Red Lion are options too. They are really wanting tourist traffic over there and they are trying to make things happen. You might get a few ideas from the Peninsula Daily News for contacts.

Maybe ask around the non-profit Marine Life Center to see if anyone there knows of some good contacts. Most of the time it is staffed by volunteers. I was thinking about poking around PA too but I won't have the time for a little while.

I never had luck with e-mail. People like to talk things through.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this tidbit would help:

Electric Vehicle (EV) Infrastructure and Battery Tax Exemptions: Public lands used for installing, maintaining, and operating EV infrastructure are exempt from leasehold excise taxes until January 1, 2020. Additionally, the state sales and use taxes do not apply to EV batteries; labor and services for installing, repairing, altering, or improving EV batteries and EV infrastructure; and the sale of property used for EV infrastructure.

Check out this page for some ideas too:
EV Planning - Washington Department of Commerce

Ok, here's the story: I spoke with some people at city hall and they are very excited about doing this. They already have plans to put in a charger in the esplanade mentioned above. There is also discussion about putting one at city hall. They seem to be partial to a charger that could be used by all electric cars, so I'm still negotiating that...obviously I'd prefer an HPWC, but if I need to get a clipper creek 100A charger to appease them, I suppose that charger is better than no charger. I will be in email contact with them to start getting things rolling on this, but, so far, things are positive!

Ok, here's the story: I spoke with some people at city hall and they are very excited about doing this. They already have plans to put in a charger in the esplanade mentioned above. There is also discussion about putting one at city hall. They seem to be partial to a charger that could be used by all electric cars, so I'm still negotiating that...obviously I'd prefer an HPWC, but if I need to get a clipper creek 100A charger to appease them, I suppose that charger is better than no charger. I will be in email contact with them to start getting things rolling on this, but, so far, things are positive!

Bravo!

An 80 amp J1772 charger, such as the Clipper Creek CS-100, is probably the way to go. Everyone can use it so it's an easier sell to government entities. Having only the Tesla HPWC leaves out our Roadster brethren and non-Tesla EVs. Maybe our "adapter club" can purchase a CS-100 for the city of Port Angeles!

I'm glad to see there is interest in the CS-100...it clearly makes more sense from an EV perspective, but it is $1000 more than the Tesla HPWC. I'll mention to my contacts about pulling wire for a few 14-50s as well...I didn't even think of that, but that is definitely a way to attract folks (and give more charging...and it's cheap).

- - - Updated - - -

If you need any help with the project let me know.

Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know as things get rolling. They seem to be targeting Fall of this year to open the new esplanade...I'm hoping we can get the charger up and running before then, but we'll see. Thanks to all for your support! I'll start collecting names here in the near future for people who want to donate to the project.

An 80 amp J1772 charger, such as the Clipper Creek CS-100, is probably the way to go. Everyone can use it so it's an easier sell to government entities. Having only the Tesla HPWC leaves out our Roadster brethren and non-Tesla EVs. Maybe our "adapter club" can purchase a CS-100 for the city of Port Angeles!

NB! Roadsters CANNOT charge on a CS-100! There is a bug in their pilot signal handling that prevents them negotiating correctly with a charger above 70A. @TomSax established this.

If we want to support deployment of CS-100's we need to get Tesla to fix this problem!

NB! Roadsters CANNOT charge on a CS-100! There is a bug in their pilot signal handling that prevents them negotiating correctly with a charger above 70A. @TomSax established this.

If we want to support deployment of CS-100's we need to get Tesla to fix this problem!

Hmm...that certainly presents a problem. Admittedly I liked the idea of having a 100A charger, but I don't want to exclude the Roadsters. I've got an email out to the city...hopefully they'll throw in a couple of 14-50s, as well...that seems a way to appease everyone.

Which Clipper Creek charger can the Roadster support? The CS-90 appears to pull a continuous load of 72 Amps. Will that trip the Roadster fault? Does anyone know if I would be able to set the load down the 70 amps and limit the charger (then we would have the most universal case...1772 pulling 70 amps).