Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Judging Interest: Tesla HPWC in Port Angeles

Interest in placing a Model S HPWC in Port Angeles, WA

• Yes, I would love one there and would be willing to help pay for the charger

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Yes, I would like one there, but I can't/don't want to pay for it

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, I'm not interested

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been in touch with my contact and I do have a minor update. They will be discussing plans with the utility people for going forward on the project next week, so I should have more information then, but I did get confirmation that they anticipate any charger set up at a city location to be available 24/7...so it looks like things are headed in the right direction! I'll keep everyone updated as I know more. Additionally, I have updated my contact on the desire to place a CS-90 instead of a CS-100 in order to accommodate the Roadster, as well.

This does bring up something I think I know the answer to, but I figure I should cross all my "T's"...other EVs with smaller on-board chargers will still be able to use the charger, correct? Given that the first version of the LEAF only had a 3.3 kW charger and can connect to public stations providing 6-7 kW of power, I'm assuming this is how this works. I just want to double check that if a LEAF with a 3.3 kW charger rolls up to a station designed to deliver 16.8 kW of power, there won't be an issue. Again, I assume the on-board chargers are designed to handle this, but I know there are others out there who have been doing this whole EV thing a lot longer than I have and have a bit more knowledge than myself. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have been in touch with my contact and I do have a minor update. They will be discussing plans with the utility people for going forward on the project next week, so I should have more information then, but I did get confirmation that they anticipate any charger set up at a city location to be available 24/7...so it looks like things are headed in the right direction! I'll keep everyone updated as I know more. Additionally, I have updated my contact on the desire to place a CS-90 instead of a CS-100 in order to accommodate the Roadster, as well.

This does bring up something I think I know the answer to, but I figure I should cross all my "T's"...other EVs with smaller on-board chargers will still be able to use the charger, correct? Given that the first version of the LEAF only had a 3.3 kW charger and can connect to public stations providing 6-7 kW of power, I'm assuming this is how this works. I just want to double check that if a LEAF with a 3.3 kW charger rolls up to a station designed to deliver 16.8 kW of power, there won't be an issue. Again, I assume the on-board chargers are designed to handle this, but I know there are others out there who have been doing this whole EV thing a lot longer than I have and have a bit more knowledge than myself. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

If it's a J1772 plug, the Leaf will only take what power it can - it'll be fine with a 90 amp charger since it'll only take the 3.3 or 6.6 kW that it can take.

Yup, the Leaf will be happy...but we won't if we drive up and find that a local Leaf driver just plugged in and walked to work, to return in 7 hours when it is full.

J1772 EVSEs have the same connector no matter what their speed, but there are some incompatible uses for them. If they are thinking of putting in more than one spot to plug in, how about one HPWC for visiting Teslas, one 30A J1772 for local Leafs and PHEVs, and a 14-50 as a backup? The HPWC is enough cheaper than a big Clipper Creek that it might pay for a plain 30A EVSE.

We Roadster owners will have to use the 14-50 until there is a a way for us to use the new Tesla plug. And Model S drivers have two backups in case they can't use the HPWC.

Another way to solve the problem is to charge by the hour to use the EVSE. That will keep local Leaf drivers from using it as a filling station. But adding the ability to charge adds a lot to the cost of the unit. I would rather see multiple units installed.

I just discovered this thread (via NTOC), and yes, I would be willing to contribute. I would suggest the Clipper Creek CS-90. It is cheaper than the CS-100 and charges at 72 amps, which the Roadster can handle. That is the ESVE deployed by Sun Country Highway across southern Canada and used by a Roadster in a transcontinental road trip. This unit is also being used by a project to deploy several ESVEs in North Central Washington.

Link for more information (on the project)? Thanks.

See the Recent News section on the "Grand Opening of World’s First EV Tourism Corridor" on the PluginCenter web site, http://www.plugincenter.net/. Looks like these units will be installed next month.

Edit: Wait a minute, I posted too fast. These are not the high amperage level 2 stations. Let me find a link to those and I will post back.

Edit 2: This project has been discussed on the Northwest Tesla Owners Club on Google Groups. I don't see a link for it outside of that group, but it is being organized by JackA, who participates in this forum. The only post discussing it that I have found is this:

Pacific NW - Superchargers - Page 6

I sent an email to Jack, and hope I will get more information soon.

Last edited:
I heard back from Jack. He said that the Plugin Center website has not been updated yet with the hal2 project information, but he invited me to forward questions to him, which he will try to answer. I assume it would also be fine to PM JackA on this forum directly. He mentioned that they are expecting delivery of their first three CS-90 units this week, and have two hosts ready to install. The Pateros Lakeshore Inn and Campbell's Resort in Chelan will be the first installations.

They are also having an Electromotion EV Winery Tour as a fundraiser for the project on Saturday, August 24 from 11:30 am to 5:30 pm in Chelan. You can sign up for it via this link: http://electomotionwinerytour.eventbrite.com/. There will be temporary charging facilities brought in for the event because they are expecting quite a few Teslas (Roadsters and Model S). Be sure to contact Jack about those, because he will have a system for getting all of the cars charged.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I will urge Jack to start his own, since I am just the messenger.

Doug: message received! I will start a new thread for north central Washington locations. Thanks for bringing Plug-In NCW's effort to this forum. It is totally OK for members to PM me. I will start monitoring this forum regularly. Jack

Hello everyone...an update for you:

I have been in contact with my contact in Port Angeles and am still trying to get details settled. The city is very interested, but I'm cutting through some red tape at the moment, but hope to have an additional update next week regarding how things might be progressing.

If people want to help me out and PM me if they are still interested in contributing to this project and how much they are willing to contribute, that would save me digging back through this thread for what people posted. I'll probably wind up doing that anyway, but the more I have consolidated in my inbox, the easier it will be in the end.

Thanks very much...more to come soon.

EDIT: Just to add, in case it wasn't clear. I mentioned it before, but it does look like the group I have that is interested right now (namely, the city of Port Angeles) is interested in appealing to as many EVs as possible and as such they are interested in a Clipper Creek CS-90. So, it won't be a Tesla HPWC, if all comes together as planned...just so everyone knows what they are going in for.

Last edited:
UPDATE: New information came in today! The city has approved the use of project funds to bridge the gap in the charger install costs. So, all we have to do is provide the charger! They are ready to move forward with procurement and installation and have plans to have this charger in place and operational in Port Angeles this summer! YAY! I still have to verify specs, but I believe it will be a Clipper Creek CS-90 providing 240 Volts, 72 amps (continuous). I will be creating another thread to call for donations (it is possible to make a tax deductible donation directly to the city...see the new thread (Call for donations for Port Angeles High-Powered Charger) for more info).

Last edited: