Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JuiceBox 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I read on Tesla’s website that the j1772 adapter limits charging to 19 amps, does that sound right?
I have a suggestion here. I frequently see people not paying attention to what the units are on the screen and then saying things wrong when they post questions here on the forum. They frequently mix up amps, mph, or kW with respect to what they say is the charging speed. Make sure you check what unit you are really seeing.

Reactions: Transformer
Hey I just bought a juice non networked Jukebox 40 amp. Used it last night first time to charge my loaner; the car would only charge at 19amps. I just plugged my model Y into it and would also only charge at 19 amps. Swapped it to my mobile connector plugged into the same NEMA 14-50 outlet charging at 32amps. Any ideas?

Do they make a non-wifi JuiceBox? I don't see it on their website.
I have been using Juicebox 40s since 2015. I replaced my old Juicebox 40 with a new one (I ran over the cable and broke it so I got another one).
As far as I know, they are all network enabled and the power control (amps delivered) is changed via their web app.
It would be interesting to see which model you have which is non-networked.

They do have a JucieBox Classic that is non-networked: https://support-emobility.enelx.com/hc/en-us/articles/212280768-JuiceBox-Classic-Non-Networked-

1658430711337.png

It doesn't sound like 19A is a selectable option, but neither is 20A, 24A, or 32A like they say to set it to...

Reactions: Bikeman
They do have a JucieBox Classic that is non-networked: https://support-emobility.enelx.com/hc/en-us/articles/212280768-JuiceBox-Classic-Non-Networked-

View attachment 831068

It doesn't sound like 19A is a selectable option, but neither is 20A, 24A, or 32A like they say to set it to...
Yes, that's what I remembered. That pot probably adjusts the control pilot directly and can therefore adjust it to any value within the granularity of the pot. The mapping of control pilot duty cycle to amperage is usually given in a table, which might imply that only those duty cycles and amperages are valid, but cars use a finer mapping than 5a intervals. I know my M3 accepts a 30a setting on my Blink EVSE, but it obviously also accepts a 32a setting from other EVSEs.

This setup is kinda janky since the only way for the average person to know whether you've set it for, say 24a, is to connect a car and see how much it tries to draw. Obviously, you'd want to start low, and move it up slowly.

Reactions: Big Earl

View attachment 831068

Yes I believe this is the one I have. The enclosure still has a tape label on the cover where the top and bottom join reading "do not remove."
I believe I am reading the screen cporrectly 236V charging at 19/19 amps and 5kW

Attachments

• IMG_3712 copy.jpg
    IMG_3712 copy.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 37
  • EVSE face.jpg
    EVSE face.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 40
  • charge screen.jpg
    charge screen.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes I believe this is the one I have. The enclosure still has a tape label on the cover where the top and bottom join reading "do not remove."
I believe I am reading the screen cporrectly 236V charging at 19/19 amps and 5kW
Huh, OK. That does seem to show that the Juicebox for some reason is sending a really weird level of 19 as the allowed maximum amps signal. If it were a problem with the car's internal charger, it would usually be in some increment of 16A.

Then all you have to do is open it up and turn the pot all the way to the right to set it for 40a (correct for a 50a circuit).

If that 14-50 is on a 40a breaker, then you'll have to set it 32a. Best way would be to turn it up a bit, then plug in and see what the car says. Keep doing that until it reads 32a.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Then all you have to do is open it up and turn the pot all the way to the right to set it for 40a (correct for a 50a circuit).

If that 14-50 is on a 40a breaker, then you'll have to set it 32a. Best way would be to turn it up a bit, then plug in and see what the car says. Keep doing that until it reads 32a.
The circuit is 50a and I guess since there is no warranty to void what do I have to lose? Homeowner's insurance is paid up...

The circuit is 50a and I guess since there is no warranty to void what do I have to lose? Homeowner's insurance is paid up...
I know you are joking, but while you're in there, you should look at all the connections for signs of heating. You might also gently tighten terminal connections, especially on the two hot wires.

Needless to say, do all of this with the unit unplugged from the wall.

Reactions: Jeff Wa

The photos verify that the charger is operating at 19A and it supports 40A.

This symptom looks similar to what happens when JuiceBox first connects to a Tesla. (I don't know if JuiceBox Classic has this feature. Enel tech support is pretty responsive.)

JuiceBox can delay charging until the grid is past TOU peak hours and drawing on clean and/or least expensive energy. Maybe the previous owner configured that. While other cars would wait out the delayed charging, a Tesla concludes that the charger isn't working and switches off. So JuiceBox has a workaround: It charges the Tesla at low power during the delay.

That requires knowing it's connected to a Tesla. Using the app, I tell it which car it's connected to, and this also configures it for the battery size. A non-connected JuiceBox Classic might not have any of these features, or maybe it can detect that it's connected to a Tesla.

I know you are joking, but while you're in there, you should look at all the connections for signs of heating. You might also gently tighten terminal connections, especially on the two hot wires.

Needless to say, do all of this with the unit unplugged from the wall.
Well, I just opened the unit up. turn the blue pot thing a tiny bit to the right, maybe half or a quarter of a turn. Maybe it got loose in transit? Charged 40a. I'll check it again tomorrow after work. Thanks for the help!
Jeff

If there are no switch settings or other setup options such as an app to confirm that the Juicebox is configured for use on a 50A circuit then the Juicebox 40 is defective.

Also, FYI, the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector that enables charging at 40A, as recently as this week, was again available from the Tesla store. (Currently shows as Out of Stock but hopefully more will be available soon.)

Corded Mobile Connector
OK I'm confused. The linked "corded mobile connector" max output is 40 amps but the "mobile connector Gen 2" max output is 32 amps. Is the "corded mobile connector" a new version with higher output? I thought the mobile connector's maxed out at 32 amps. Clarify? o_Oo_O

Yes it is a different product that only has a hard wired 14-50 plug on it. No adapters for use with any other receptacles. And I don't think it can be dialed down, for example if you have your 14-50 on a 40A breaker.
Thanks, hadn’t notice there was 3rd option other than Wall or Gen 2. I guess this was made available just to provide a less expensive alternative.

OK I'm confused. The linked "corded mobile connector" max output is 40 amps but the "mobile connector Gen 2" max output is 32 amps. Is the "corded mobile connector" a new version with higher output? I thought the mobile connector's maxed out at 32 amps. Clarify? o_Oo_O
Yes, the Corded Mobile Connector is a different product from the Gen2 Mobile Connector. The Corded Mobile Connector differs from the Gen2 Mobile Connector by having a fixed (not modular) power plug connection. The Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug. This means there is one less interconnection in the wiring from the 14-50 receptacle to the Mobile Connector. This is why the Corded Mobile Connector is rated for up to 40 amps when used on a 50 amp circuit while the Gen2 Mobile Connector with the modular power plug (the modular plug adds an interconnect in line in the wiring) is limited to 32 amps when used on a 50 amp circuit (for an additional safety margin against the power plug connection overheating.)

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
I never knew there was an internal switch to limit the amp output on a JB40. Mine is from June 2017, and I hope it has the switch inside. There was a wifi version available when I ordered it, but I decided upon the non-wifi version. It is running on a 40A circuit. I am planning on charging at as close to 32A as possible.

i-PRVwXLt-XL.jpg

OK I'm confused. The linked "corded mobile connector" max output is 40 amps but the "mobile connector Gen 2" max output is 32 amps.
Yep. @jcanoe gave the technical explanation, but I'll fill in the history, because it's kind of interesting.
Is the "corded mobile connector" a new version with higher output?
Actually...it's an older version.

The original UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) 1st generation that used to be included with all of the cars was built with changeable adapters and did 40A. At that time, they did also sell the Corded Mobile Connector version with the permanent plug. This was long before the Model 3 or the 2nd generation UMC.

So when Tesla finally got the Model 3 out, they also introduced the 2nd generation UMC that was reworked some. It had the temperature sensor in the plugs, and was built smaller, with thinner wire, and had a maximum of only 32A. But they continued selling the Corded Mobile Connector that was based on the older 1st Gen that did 40A.