Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JuiceBox 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one for another EV. It has a thicker cord than the Tesla version and charges my MY just fine when I tried it. The app for it is really nice; I wish the Tesla version had a similar App. My other EV charges at 32 amps and, as expected, it changed my MY at 40 amps.

The 14-50 plug gets quite hot though. Personally, I prefer hard wiring circuits that draw high current for hours.

MY LR - I use the wall-mounted JuiceBox 40 (first version). It works flawlessly charging at 40 amps on a 50 amp circuit. Even after charging for 5 hours at 40 amps in a hot Texas garage, I haven't noticed excess heat on the cables and only negative I can report is that the thickness and weight of the cable make it pretty unwieldy.

The 14-50 plug gets quite hot though. Personally, I prefer hard wiring circuits that draw high current for hours.
I might take a guess that the outlet is a Leviton brand then? Those are pretty cheap and badly built, which may explain it getting pretty hot. I would recommend switching that out to a better brand, like Hubbell, Cooper, or Bryant. I confess that mine is a Leviton that I haven't gotten around to changing out yet, but I keep the amps down at 31, so I don't run it hot.

My Levitron is $10.45 on Amazon, the Cooper is $69.95! Does that sound right?
Unfortunately yes, it kind of does. 50 amp outlet types are no joke, and all others are much better than the crummy Leviton kind.
I run a chargepoint charger at 40amps with a $10 14-50 outlet and it doesn't get hot at all. You might have a wire screw that needs tightening inside.
That is one of the things that is bad about the Leviton is that the attach points are not as good in how they clamp the wire, as well as them using flathead screws, which are harder to get tight enough. Some of the other brands use hex wrench screws, so you can really tighten them down hard, which they need for the high amps that have to flow through those connections.

I might take a guess that the outlet is a Leviton brand then? Those are pretty cheap and badly built, which may explain it getting pretty hot. I would recommend switching that out to a better brand, like Hubbell, Cooper, or Bryant. I confess that mine is a Leviton that I haven't gotten around to changing out yet, but I keep the amps down at 31, so I don't run it hot.

Swapped out my $10 Leviton 14-50 for a $70 Hubbell. A few observations:
1. The 75 in-lbs called for in the instructions for the lugs was tighter than expected. Without an inch-lb torque wrench, they may have been undertorqued.
2. The new outlet is bigger around and takes four screws in the cover - not the same plate my old one had and not the normal ones at Home Depot. Had to order a plate with 2.48" hole in it from an electrical supply house.
3. The plug is still warm, but not as warm. Changing at 40 amps for 90 minutes...
- The Leviton rose 124* F (62 to 186)
- The Hubbell rose 86* F (68 to 154)

All of the heat seems to be in the plug, the outlet is cool.

I'm glad I took Rocky's advice and now have a higher quality outlet.

20200922_210415.jpg
20200922_210400.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I just bought a juice non networked Jukebox 40 amp. Used it last night first time to charge my loaner; the car would only charge at 19amps. I just plugged my model Y into it and would also only charge at 19 amps. Swapped it to my mobile connector plugged into the same NEMA 14-50 outlet charging at 32amps. Any ideas?

Hey I just bought a juice non networked Jukebox 40 amp. Used it last night first time to charge my loaner; the car would only charge at 19amps. I just plugged my model Y into it and would also only charge at 19 amps. Swapped it to my mobile connector plugged into the same NEMA 14-50 outlet charging at 32amps. Any ideas?
If there are no switch settings or other setup options such as an app to confirm that the Juicebox is configured for use on a 50A circuit then the Juicebox 40 is defective.

Also, FYI, the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector that enables charging at 40A, as recently as this week, was again available from the Tesla store. (Currently shows as Out of Stock but hopefully more will be available soon.)

Corded Mobile Connector

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If there are no switch settings or other setup options such as an app to confirm that the Juicebox is configured for use on a 50A circuit then the Juicebox 40 is defective.

Also, FYI, the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector that enables charging at 40A, as recently as this week, was again available from the Tesla store. (Currently shows as Out of Stock but hopefully more will be available soon.)

Corded Mobile Connector
Thanks for the input.

The person I bought the Juicebox from said he had not problems with it charging a BMW for whatever that is worth.

I read on Tesla’s website that the j1772 adapter limits charging to 19 amps, does that sound right?
Jeff

Do they make a non-wifi JuiceBox? I don't see it on their website.

In any case there's a way to set its maximum current (amps).

Not 19A. The Tesla J1772 adapter goes up to 19.2kW. That's 80A x 240V.

My JuiceBox is set to 40A (on a 50A breaker) and it charges the Tesla at 9.6 kW via the J1772 adapter. That's 40A x 240V with power factor 1.0.

When I first got the Juicebox, I needed Enel's video demos to figure out how to use their app. The settings are in the hamburger menu which is practically invisible on the first screen but clearly visible on the other screens.

• Informative
Thanks for the input.

The person I bought the Juicebox from said he had not problems with it charging a BMW for whatever that is worth.

I read on Tesla’s website that the j1772 adapter limits charging to 19 amps, does that sound right?
Jeff
No. I can get 40 amps from my juicebox and the Tesla adapter on my 2020 MY.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff
The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter enables charging the Tesla vehicle at up to 19.2kW (not 19 amps). 19.2kW is the equivalent of charging at 240 Volts and 80 amps.

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Read the Juicebox 40 owner's manual on how to setup up the unit for use on a 50 amp circuit (this should enable charging at up to 40 amps.)

If you can't set the Juicebox via internal switches or other means for use with a 50 amp circuit and the Juicebox 40 you purchased continues to operate at only 19 amps return the Juicebox to the seller as it is defective.

• Helpful