Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JuiceBox sticky relay (5 beep error code)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
My JuiceBox Pro 40 started doing a 5-beep error code, meaning the relay is stuck closed. Enel X said to try a power cycle, then try a few percussive taps on the sides while the power is off to release the mechanical relay.

That didn't work so they said return it to Costco. Today I decided to try tapping one last time before removing it from the wall. It worked!

Q. Any experience with this problem? Does it tend to get worse? Recommendations?

With 3 months left on the warranty, the choice is:
  1. bet on this unit lasting
  2. spend time returning it, ordering a new one, and mounting it (probably a different bracket)
  3. spend more time shopping and installing a replacement from another brand.
The JuiceBox has nice features including charging when the grid is greenest & cheapest and implementing a charge % limit for our Leaf.

I don't have experience with the Juicebox but from my electrical experience, relays that get stuck seldom get better on their own. You probably have some mechanical defect or perhaps even arcing has begun welding the contacts together. Welding would be unlikely since the Tesla will wait for the connection to be considered good before ramping up the power, and probably reduce power draw before turning off the relay. Maybe the Leaf isn't so nice to the wall connector. Actually, now that I read the final line of your post, the Juicebox >shutdown< might be the cause. If power is flowing when the Leaf/Juicebox decides to stop the charging, and they just abruptly turn off the relay, you'll get arcing and welding. I'd certainly hope the juicebox tells the Leaf to stop its charging or at least reduce it to a minimum before turning off the relay, but I don't know the internal mechanism.

I definitely wouldn't do 1). your unit is on borrowed time.

Sounds like you should do 2. If you run through another Juicebox, do 3) the next time.