Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox vs included charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not $500 out of my pocket worth of awesome. I grant that there is a slight bit of more convenience being able to one-hand it with a Tesla handle instead of using two to pull out a J1772 with the adapter, but it's also kind of awesome to keep $500 to just use what you've already got instead of buying an extra wall connector or something you don't need.
Besides, I DO one hand it. Push the J1772 button, release, push the handle back in to reengage the J1772 lock and pull both out together. Like @Rocky_H, I already had it, plus I have two other plugins, and have no interest in having a non-standard plug in the garage.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's not $500 out of my pocket worth of awesome. I grant that there is a slight bit of more convenience being able to one-hand it with a Tesla handle instead of using two to pull out a J1772 with the adapter, but it's also kind of awesome to keep $500 to just use what you've already got instead of buying an extra wall connector or something you don't need.
Worrying about 500 bucks, yikes

If the car is awake. I use a j1772 charger to charge at home, and I find that some mornings the car doesn't wake up when I walk up to it. I can either touch a door handle or tap the icon on my phone, then the button on the charger works.
Yes. It's the same with the UMC, it only unlocks the port if the car is awake...which for me means opening a door first...at least on model 3. People keep trying to imply that the Tesla handle works differently from J1772, but the only thing it does that the J1772 doesn't is open the charge port door, which already opens with a touch.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding exact specs on the stock charger, as well as the Tesla wall connector.

Probably my favorite site to look at very specific specs is EVSpecifications.
Stock Charger specs here: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD - Specifications and price Under Onboard Charger section. (Screenshot attached too).

Tesla Wall connector specs here: manual

It does sound like you have enough information to help make a decision though. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 8.52.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 8.52.18 AM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 40
If the car is awake. I use a j1772 charger to charge at home, and I find that some mornings the car doesn't wake up when I walk up to it. I can either touch a door handle or tap the icon on my phone, then the button on the charger works.
Does the button on your charger disengage the lock that allows you to remove the charger from the car? What charger do you have?