Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

July 2019 Supercharger update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. I know that SOME supercharger plugs are being updated to CCS2. Will the model 3 be able to use the existing plugs on superchargers too or only the CCS2 ones? Or do we not know yet?
Use this spreadsheet to keep track of which locations have CCS2 so far, as you can see, a majority of sites now have at least 2 stalls for Model 3, some have all stalls for Model 3.

Supercharger CCS Tracker - Australia/New Zealand

Additional note: My expectation is that 100% of stalls will be converted to dual cable stalls before Model 3s arrive in Australia.

In Europe, the same thing happened, but even now not all stalls have been converted and the ones which were had a label "Model 3 priority" (suggesting that Model S/X owners use a stall with only the Type 2 cable, to keep the CCS2 ones free for Model 3 owners). The stalls in Australia are not getting the sticker, which is what makes me think that they will convert 100% of the stalls here.

Note that while there are thousands of stalls across Europe, there are only 196 across both Australia and New Zealand.

For those with model S/X now, are there times when you arrive and stalls are full? I am planning a number of interstate trips and with the influx of model 3s I just want to know ho likely that might be and whether it would be a good idea to buy a Chademo charger, for example, because Tesla superchargers are going to become full?

Maybe I am just being paranoid...

For those with model S/X now, are there times when you arrive and stalls are full? I am planning a number of interstate trips and with the influx of model 3s I just want to know ho likely that might be and whether it would be a good idea to buy a Chademo charger, for example, because Tesla superchargers are going to become full?

Not sure that the question can be accurately answered as no-one knows how many model 3’s or where they will be based, and therefore their supercharger impact. The Adelaide supercharger is sometimes full, but not often and not for long.

You can use the onboard tesla navigation screen to check the availability of chargers while en route. It shows for example 1/4 in use or 2/4 in use. Obviously it is not 100% as by the time you get there it may have changed but it is a good guide. More of a problem is if the charger is ICED because this will not register as in use. I use the Adelaide SC regularly and i havent had many issues. Once it was full when I arrived but a spot became available shortly after. A few other times I have been there charging and all of the chargers have been taken. Who knows what a difference the M3 will make.