Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

July Meetup? Elon Musk speaking at Governor's Meeting in Providence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I would certainly be willing to drive down from New Hampshire for this. If there is a decent level of interest someone might reach out to Elon to let him know we'll be there. Attending the speech would be nice. A brief meetup with him would be even better. Thanks

Well including you (and me) so far there are 6 or 7 cars who said they'd go...and I just posted it this morning. Here and on the NE owners FB page. So maybe we can get more. :)

If I can get more interest I might reach out to Tesla, and EM. :) I don't think the speech will be possible since it's for the governors. But it would be cool to go.

Elon will be giving a speech on innovation at the summer Governor's Summit in Providence at some point the weekend of July 13-16.

Elon Musk Attending Governors Summit in RI

Would there be any interest in having a rally/meetup for the occasion? I'm not sure which day he is speaking but could try to drill it down. Having it where other governors could see it would be nice. :)

I found this governors meeting draft agenda which has Elon scheduled to speak on Saturday July 15th from 2pm to 3pm at the Providence Convention Center.
https://meetings.nga.org/files/live/sites/meetings/files/sm17/pdf/2017GovStaffAgenda.pdf

Saturday meetup? Some TMCers not on FB. Appreciate any updates here too!

Elon did a great job presenting at this event. He was in front of the right crowd. Many were not deeply familiar with his ideas. 30 governors listening, all eager to attract jobs for their respective states. Nobody in the room missed the potential magnitude of Musk's remarks concerning the building of additional Gigafactories in the US. Elon has an uncanny ability to be candid and likable in front of any crowd. Take someone like Gov. Dan Malloy from CT. He talks out the side of his mouth about supporting renewable energy, yet he's not lifted a finger to encourage the CT legislature to approve the sale of Tesla vehicles in his state. Who knows if people like him were swayed, but I think it was worth Elon's time and effort.

Reactions: chjch
Elon did an excellent job responding to Governor Ducey of Arizona, whose question seemed to be saying that the government should never regulate or restrict "entrepeneurs and innovators" in any way. Elon clearly thought that position was nonsense but he didn't let his irritation (my guess) show. He flat out said that right now the US government (and by extension, any government) has zero understanding of AI research and the potential perils and the first step is for the government to learn about what is actually going on and then take whatever steps are necessary to "ensure public safety". Unfortunately, many political leaders are not interested in the concept of "public safety" or the "common good" but instead are only interested in holding onto power and soliciting campaign contributions.

At this event I think Elon was more plain spoken and upfront about his concerns regarding AI than I had ever seen him be before. His example of how an AI program designed to maximize investment returns for a portfolio that included companies that build weapons was a chilling -- and entirely plausible -- scenario.

As always, Elon is continually thinking way ahead and beyond just building more EVs and launching more satellites into space. He's trying to figure out the primary threats to the continuation of human civilization and how to deal with them. There are many, and I sometimes wonder how he gets any sleep.