Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jump in price for snow tires (19" Pirellis)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just notice the snow tires has made quite a jump in pricing from 2400 to 4000. I was trying to place an order for the last few weeks but it was out of stock. I wish there was a chance of ordering them before the jump like the mats.....

I am actually quite disappointed though. I emailed TESLA before and they said they don't have an ETA for the 19" wheels and that's why it is out of stock. Then while it is out of stock, they decided to do a price hike. If there was in anyway, I could have purchase or place an order for the last couple of weeks, I would have done it. Now, the price hike has gone into effect....

I recently purchased winter tires and wheels (no TPMS) from Tirerack as I did not want the Pirellis, came out to $2500 US with shipping and tax. Didn't seem like the best deal at the time as for $2400 Tesla also included TPMS with their wheels and tires. Now that it is up to $4k I suddenly feel better about my purchase. :confused:

I recently purchased winter tires and wheels (no TPMS) from Tirerack as I did not want the Pirellis, came out to $2500 US with shipping and tax. Didn't seem like the best deal at the time as for $2400 Tesla also included TPMS with their wheels and tires. Now that it is up to $4k I suddenly feel better about my purchase. :confused:

Yup, I've just been pricing wheels, tires and sensors and the original Tesla price looks better and better. I certainly wasn't going to buy my winter set in June, though. Now things are much more complicated as I have to select a set of wheels. Would have been quite happy with the 5-spoke 19s.

anyone found an all season for the 21's. I don't need a high performance or a winter tire, just something that will hold up and last a decent amount of time. I've got about 14K on the originals and they will need replacement in another 5, give or take. the way the prices keep going up, up, up with Tesla is dampening our enthusiasm, that and the fact that our car has taken many trips in for repairs. Converting to 19's is probably our only long term option, will probably just sell the 21's. would have just ordered the car with the 19's but didn't like the wheel option, would have ordered the turbine 19's had they been an option. Wet, slick Seattle winter is coming, hope a decent option comes soon!

Last edited:
OK, that price is ridiculous and non-competitive. I must ask, what is Tesla thinking? Maybe they would just prefer it if people went to TireRack and got different winter tires?

I don't know, is it non-competitive? Speaking as someone who really doesn't know the quality of the 19" 5-spoke and what they are comparable to. Figure (retail pricing) ~800 for the tires, ~350 for the sensors, whatever it might be for TPMS install, wheel balance, etc (say $200 for the sake of argument). That leaves roughly $2600 for the rims. I can get a set of cheap rims for $800 (or less). Are they worth the extra $1800? What is fair market for the 19" wheels?

I don't know, is it non-competitive? Speaking as someone who really doesn't know the quality of the 19" 5-spoke and what they are comparable to. Figure (retail pricing) ~800 for the tires, ~350 for the sensors, whatever it might be for TPMS install, wheel balance, etc (say $200 for the sake of argument). That leaves roughly $2600 for the rims. I can get a set of cheap rims for $800 (or less). Are they worth the extra $1800? What is fair market for the 19" wheels?

Yeah, TireRack has 19" alloy wheels that range from $200 each to $660 each (which would bring the total to over $4000). How the Tesla wheels compare is hard for me to say.

Just notice the snow tires has made quite a jump in pricing from 2400 to 4000. I was trying to place an order for the last few weeks but it was out of stock. I wish there was a chance of ordering them before the jump like the mats.....

Just picked up 4 Michellin Xi3's (which are LRRs) on Rial Lugano Titanium Gunmetal rims for $2K balanced and delivered (No TPMS, I already have those).

Can someone explain this to me - if I buy winter tires, do I need new rims too? Or do they mount them on our current rims? What about scratching them?

It's good practice to purchase a second set of wheels. There are two reasons:

1. Every time you mount and demount a tire you risk damaging it. (Also the cost of mounting and balancing the tires twice a year that's eliminated with two sets of wheels goes a long way to pay for that second set.)

2. You can often find a set of used wheels for the winter tires. Generally the wheels used during winter will get beat up more than wheels used in summer, so a set of wheels you don't care so much about is a good deal. It also allows you to have a spare.

It's not "necessary" to have a second set of wheels though.

I bit the bullet and bought a set of used 5-spoke OEMs. Figured I should do it now before they really become scarce/expensive. Came with Goodyears attached so I still need to buy winters and have them mounted.

Yes, I did the same thing. Pay attention to the "Tesla Parts for Sale" section or check eBay/Craigslist as well.
I bought a set of 19" wheels, TPMS, the OEM tires, center caps and lug nuts (center caps and lug nuts not needed, since I have a set of 19" wheels that came with my Model S, but they where included anyway ). Paid $1,700 including shipping, they arrive tomorrow.

I'm going to get a tire depth gauge and see if the original OEM Goodyears on my Model S (with 10,000 miles on them), or the set I just bought (seller states about 2,700 miles on them), have more tread.. I suspect it will be the used set I just bought. In that case, I will keep the "used" set I just bought as is, and put them on the car in the Spring, and will take my existing set, and have the Nokian Hakka R2's installed/balanced and keep the 4 used removed Goodyear tires for spare, in case I damage one during Spring/Summer driving (though with 10,000 miles on them will evaluate remaining tread depth as well)

I also won't need to go to the Tesla service center until Spring to have the TPMS sensors added from the set I just bought, as I'll still be using the original wheels/TPMS.

Btw, I found R2's for $300 each, and $100 to mount/balance, so $1,300 for tires... Added to $1,700 for the other set of 19" OEM tires/TPMS (for Spring most likely), my total will be $3,000. A bit more than the original $2,400 for the Tesla Winter tire package, but %25 less the new $4,000 current price (and they are still sold out). I also think the Hakka R2's are a better tire than the Pirelli 240 Sottozero's.