TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jump the line with air option even if late in sequence?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by highedu, Dec 28, 2012.

1. highedu

highedu Member

I'm expecting my finalize email soon (12,848) and will be soon the 85kwh.

I've been told by the reps at the Tesla store that if I choose air suspension I could jump the line since many 40/60 kwh reservations are without air as an option.

Can anybody provide some empirical data to back this up. I may elect to go for 85kwh with air if it means I will get my car sooner than later given non air cars don't start production until March. Comes down to how many people before me are not getting air.

Thoughts?

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I think you should choose whichever would make you happy/content. You'll have to live with this decision far longer than the extra time for delivery.

Timeline wise, I'd guess that choosing air suspension would eliminate any delays.

3. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

I think 85KwH standard + air suspension is the sweet spot for earliest delivery. They have (or at least had) a shortage of performance parts because more people orderd the Perf option than expected.

If the non-air cars don't start production until March, that means even 85KwH non-air cars won't be produced until then.

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The air suspension really is nice. I'd consider it even with the 40Kwh battery.

5. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I've taken 4 test drives and have to say I'm very impressed with the air suspension. any car with 21" wheels I have driven is harsh in comparison. Air suspension makes the road a lot smoother!

do what will make you happy, either way, the time will fly!

6. highedu

highedu Member

Will pay the $1500 to jump earlier in line

7. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Over on TM, a post requested 60 kWh configs, and eyeballing it (three dozen+) most seem to be getting air and S.C. Don't know if that would apply to 40s. Another 60 kWH post | Forums | Tesla Motors

8. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

There is a thread on the forums at TMs website where people are listing details of their 60 kWH configurations. I think all of them have active air suspension.

9. highedu

highedu Member

So air may not result in a jump

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Only about 10% of the people who reserve go to any of the forums, and people who frequent forums may not be representative of the average purchaser.