Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jumped 12V working fine. Replace anyway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12V just died after 2 years without warning. I jumped it and everything appears to work normal. Should I be proactive and replace it now? (with Ohmmu 12V) I'm 90% leaning proactive since the batt is 2 years old. It's just weird that it died without a replacement warning. 100 degrees heat kills batteries too.

The ohmmu was worth it in my situation. If you can find a cheaper, quicker replacement then you will be good. If your battery has the adapter on top that helps. Unfortunately surgery is involved, still the best car in the world.

Even Tesla places high priority on 12V battery replacements. My last one on my 2018, was replaced in less than 24 hours after reporting the warning. The very next morning, mobile service was in my driveway with a warranty replacement. I guess they figured out a failed battery means an expensive tow, so they jump right on it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
My 12V just died after 2 years without warning. I jumped it and everything appears to work normal. Should I be proactive and replace it now? (with Ohmmu 12V) I'm 90% leaning proactive since the batt is 2 years old. It's just weird that it died without a replacement warning. 100 degrees heat kills batteries too.
Another vote to replace it. It is telling you it is time, or actually past time.

Vote to replace it. Not sure if Ohmmu is the best option since the tesla BMS may not be updated to handle Ohmmu in older cars which did not come with OEM Lithium battery. It is not a huge risk as Ohmmu provides so sw to manage it, but you should be aware of it.

The 12V battery on my X just died too after 2 years, seems very short life compared with my other cars. Is it normal to replace the 12V battery every 2 years on an X?
12v battery replacement is a warranty item. It will be replaced by Tesla for free if you are in warranty. I had to replace my 12v battery twice on my 2018. It is a high priority item for Tesla, open a ticket and they will get to you within a day or two