Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jumping 12V Battery via Power Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. The power port is not directly connected to the battery. If the system is off, the port is disconnected from the battery. So if the battery was dead, putting 12v to that circuit would not do anything as it wouldn't make it back to the battery. You must jump the car via the jump posts behind the grill.

No. The power port is not directly connected to the battery. If the system is off, the port is disconnected from the battery. So if the battery was dead, putting 12v to that circuit would not do anything as it wouldn't make it back to the battery. You must jump the car via the jump posts behind the grill.
What about the USB ports?

Uh, those are supplied via a 5V regulator. Putting 12V in there is going to cause damage!
Well, no, that's not what I meant exactly...
I think he was asking is the USB ports have juice if the car is off (for phone charging, etc.)
... nor that.

Let me try rephrasing:

Given that the USB ports aren't switched off when the car is in "screens go black" mode, can they be used to trickle charge the car's 12V battery?

I suspect the rate would be absurdly slow, if possible, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I mentioned it in another thread, to charge through the USB port, at maximum rate they can safely handle, your looking at about 2 weeks to recharge the 12v, and prob 24 hrs to get enough power to turn the car on. Another issue is, if the battery is defective and not just dead, it could be "bleeding" off power (self discharging) quicker then you could charge through the USB. That, and going through usb, would also depend on the power circuit. A voltage regulator is converting 12v to 5v, and may not even be capable of shuttling that power backwards.

I mentioned it in another thread, to charge through the USB port, at maximum rate they can safely handle, your looking at about 2 weeks to recharge the 12v, and prob 24 hrs to get enough power to turn the car on. Another issue is, if the battery is defective and not just dead, it could be "bleeding" off power (self discharging) quicker then you could charge through the USB. That, and going through usb, would also depend on the power circuit. A voltage regulator is converting 12v to 5v, and may not even be capable of shuttling that power backwards.
How long to get enough power that the 17" will wake up long enough that you can open the charge port?

(Yes, I've already recommended to Tesla -- months ago -- to add a physical switch to open the charge port.)

How long to get enough power that the 17" will wake up long enough that you can open the charge port?

(Yes, I've already recommended to Tesla -- months ago -- to add a physical switch to open the charge port.)

Charge port can be opened by prying it open slightly. Wont do any good though, without the 12v system "online", the car will not begin to charge (according to what I was told by Tesla).

Charge port can be opened by prying it open slightly. Wont do any good though, without the 12v system "online", the car will not begin to charge (according to what I was told by Tesla).
Attempting to rephrase for clarity...

Suppose your car goes completely unresponsive. Say 1% SOC and empty 12V. How long of USB port charging of the 12V would be required to wake up the 17" long enough to open and unlock the charge port and begin charging? For now let's assume you are "quick like a bunny" with connecting the Tesla end of your UMC (and that the other end was already plugged into a 14-50)?

Until/unless they give us a physical alternative to nudge the process along, this (USB port) is the best option I've heard so far for waking up a dormant Tesla without moving it and without aid from another vehicle.

Please, just do not do it. I forsee damaged electronics. The best way of waking the car up is by using the 12v terminals under the nose cone. Quick touch of jumper cables or a boost box is enough to wake the car up. The moment its woken, the DC-DC converter will kick in and start charging the 12v. I highly doubt the circuit for the USB ports could handle the reverse current. I For-See damaging the 12v-5v dc-dc converter in the USB Ports.

Please, just do not do it. I forsee damaged electronics. The best way of waking the car up is by using the 12v terminals under the nose cone. Quick touch of jumper cables or a boost box is enough to wake the car up. The moment its woken, the DC-DC converter will kick in and start charging the 12v. I highly doubt the circuit for the USB ports could handle the reverse current. I For-See damaging the 12v-5v dc-dc converter in the USB Ports.

This discussion is a fantasy anyway. When the 12V battery is dead, and the MS is in a deep-sleep mode, who really thinks the DC-DC converters that supply 5V for the USB ports will be up and running?