Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jun 6th 2020 Software Update Bricked my 2014 Model S P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked my Car in garage plugged in at midnight and woke up Saturday to a non-responsive car. Handles won't present, power cord won't disengage, trunk won't pop. Nothing.

At the advise of roadside assistance, I tried taking off the nose cone and jumpstarting with a car battery jumper with no effect.

The most frustrating thing is that i can't even get into the car at all. I wish tesla had a "Home" option that kept the handles presented and the doors unlocked.

Anyone Else having issues with the latest software update?

I think I've read on TMC, that this may be signs of a failed or failing eMMC in your MCU1... If that is true, and once it's towed to Tesla, they may be able to confirm that and advise you two options

(1) Remanufactured MCU1 replacement at $$$
(2) Wait for the Infotainment Upgrade to become available for your VIN sometime in the next few months, at a cost of $2500

URL = Infotainment Upgrade

2016 90D - 2020.20.1: Mine didn't brick but definitely seems to be going slower. Just had something weird where audio wouldn't play (Slacker/streaming, or FM) because my Bluetooth connection had stopped. I tried the "2 finger salute" reboot when i was driving and it took 5-10 minutes to reload and still didn't work. I needed to reconnect by phone/Bluetooth connection and then FM radio worked, weird for sure.

But yeah, I wonder if it is a MCU failure :(
Edit, sounds like your 2014 falls in line with other cars with MCU failures: Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) :mad:

Last edited:
I hope Tesla does not end up throttling our older cars down like Apple, in order to entice up to get newer cars.
Too late they already are. Throttled charging, throttled range, throttled acceleration... basically everything.

There's already a class action suit, and when Apple lost theirs they had to replace batteries for cheap on out-of-warranty phones. We were all still in warranty when Tesla started throttling on purpose so it is just illegal for them to do it in general. And since Tesla already said "charge and thermal" changes were made to address a known fire problem investigation they were conducting internally, it's a safety issue that will probably result in recall battery replacement / repair returning us to normal. It's incredibly illegal for them to throttle what we paid for to cover up that kind of safety problem; it has to be repaired in a way the government approves and tracks per VIN.