Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Junction Box Fuse blown up,I use home mobile charger over 244V,and 50A breaker always turns off,is this the reason cause the fuse issues?Any advice?Tk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,everyone just post this situation if anyone may have similar experience,I use home mobile charger gen 2,50A breaker always turns off,like 5 times one month,and up to 244 V, Is this too high & normal for tesla MS?because I have couple fuses blown up in junction box,after replacing the bad one ,All working fine for home charger & supercharger,I was think what the reason made the fuse went to bad ,I may replace to new 60A breaker?Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 113
DO NOT just upgrade the breaker in hopes to stop it from tripping.

The UMC gen 2 tops out at 32a which is well under the continuous load limit for a 50a circuit.

If it keeps tripping it may be a sign of a wiring or other electrical issue. You should have a qualified electrician inspect for any problems with your panel and up to the 50a outlet.

And you replaced blown fuses where? In the car?

Hi,everyone just post this situation if anyone may have similar experience,I use home mobile charger gen 2,50A breaker always turns off,like 5 times one month,and up to 244 V, Is this too high & normal for tesla MS?because I have couple fuses blown up in junction box,after replacing the bad one ,All working fine for home charger & supercharger,I was think what the reason made the fuse went to bad ,I may replace to new 60A breaker?Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Right, don't go replacing fuses, etc. without knowing what's going on. You say junction box - OK, that's not standard. We can't give advice without seeing exactly what's going on. Pictures of EVERYTHING would help.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The breaker in your electrical panel protects the wire for your charging circuit. Therefore, the size of the breaker depends mainly on the size of the wire, but can also vary depending on certain de-rating criteria in the National Electrical Code. In order to do some troubleshooting and testing, you can use the screen in the car to lower the charging amps to see if that works better without tripping the breaker. Personally, I wouldn't run a Mobile Connector at full power for various reasons. Try lowering the current down to 24 amps or even 20 amps and see how it goes.

As far as fuses blowing in the car, that sounds like a separate issue. Do you know what those fuses are for? Did any certain behavior cause the fuses to blow, such as plugging in an accessory that might be drawing too much current into the cigarette lighter accessory plug, etc?

Reactions: Yuki Feng
We really could use more information, because a few things are unclear.

up to 244 V, Is this too high & normal for tesla MS?
My home voltage is always about 245V. It's well within acceptable margin.

because I have couple fuses blown up in junction box,after replacing the bad one
What is this? Are you referring to something in the car? Where? Or is this some electrical box in your wiring circuit? Why does that have fuses? A picture or more description would help.

,I may replace to new 60A breaker?
No! DEFINITELY don't do that! It's not allowed and is a terrible idea.

I agree that you should get your circuit checked out, but also you can start isolating variables in this by charging somewhere else on different equipment to see if it's something with the external equipment or something in the car.

The city under this OPs name (Temecula) is actually where I live as well. It is a pretty young city, as cities go, so I am a bit confused about what the OP would be talking about "blowing fuses" in relation to home electrical service.

Perhaps the Ops recent repair of something to do with charging at a third party repair shop has something to do with it? No idea but im not sure why "I just had electrical stuff on my car repaired at a third party shop" was not part of this thread