TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

June 2010: Musk shows future models at Wall Street "Road Show"

Discussion in 'News' started by elirentz, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elirentz

elirentz Member

Looked around and didn't see this yet so excuse me if this is a repost.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/tesla-shows-future-models/

[​IMG]

I'm really liking the looks of the cabriolet

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Lemesee!

[​IMG]

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#4 doug, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    I figure no one has said much about it here since Tesla has been talking about this skateboard design with "many hats" for a while now. But ABG picked it up and I even heard it mentioned on NPR yesterday, so I guess it is news.

We had this slide from that Adobe design presentation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=441&stc=1&d=1256195799.jpg

I think this IPO presentation is the first time we've seen any renderings that are semi photo-realistic from Tesla, but I'm not sure how representative we should take them. The cabriolet looks like a photoshopped Evora. The Crossover/SUV looks like the Lotus APX and the van just a photoshop of that.

tesla-future-products-1277147719.jpg

That they are planning a van and a convertible is interesting, though. There is a market for light duty vans, particularly for fleets. The cabriolet may be a Roadster replacement.

5. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

Any ideas as to what these "limiting factors" are? The only one that comes to mind is the air cooled motor and pem.

-Scott

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Given that the only specific mention of ZEVs being marked out for tax relief in our new government's budget marked was goods vehicles, Tesla would be very prudent to get this van project underway.

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Was this the same model ZAP-X was based on as well?

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#9 tdelta1000, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    Here's a few shoots of the the APX Concept.
    apx00008.jpg
    apx00007.jpg
    apx00006.jpg
    apx00004.jpg

Here's another version of the APX concept that was slated for use by Proton.
    proton-msx.JPG
    proton-msx-the-proton-suv-concept-car

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

10. tomsax

tomsax Member

If you go full throttle, you won't be driving all day long. Cooling the PEM and motor may yield an incremental improvement in efficiency, but it isn't going to increase the capacity of the battery pack or get rid of air friction.

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks TEG.

How likely is it that we could change a chassis in the same manner as battery packs? I could see switching from a Cabriolet one day to a Van or Crossover another day. A user-enabled operation would be nice. Having multiple chassis's hanging in a garage and the ability to remove the skateboard and moved to another chassis would be monumental.

12. You can't go full throttle until your battery is empty with the roadster. Because the PEM and Motor will overheat. With the Model S this will change I suspect, because both components will be watercooled. Not sure why you take "all day long" out of context and try to take it literally. And I haven't said anything about increasing battery pack capacity.

And I'm also not sure what air friction has to do with it. High speed isn't the only way to max. out power. Going up a long steep hill will do it too. Especially with the S since it will be much heavier and carry more passengers and package.

13. shark2k

shark2k Member

Because the way you wrote it you can infer driving at full throttle all day, so the way tomsax replied can make sense.

-Shark2k

14. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Hate the back end, more window required.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You maybe didn't realize this thread is 4 years old; designs have moved on a little.

16. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

This is a great example of why threads without a post for 6 months ( can argue the time) should be closed. No further posts allowed. It doesn't limit ability to post, would just have to start a new one. Could even reference old thread but it would make it clear what is old or not

17. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

totally agree. I didn't look at the date when this thread came up with new posts. Reading the article I got excited about seeing plans for new models but the part about about IPO roadshow dashed my hopes. Close old threads.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Going to close this thread to prevent any further bumping until the admins decide the best course forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.