Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 20th Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A huge market for battery swaps will be taxi companies. They run their cars in two or three shifts, which limits the time for refueling. Fuel is their big cost and the price would plummet, if they had a fleet of electric cars with available battery swaps. They could have the swap stations in their own garages and simply circulate their own batteries. It may also result in lower taxi fares, which would increase the demand for taxi rides and therefore a need for more taxies. It's a big win for the taxi companies, their passengers and Tesla Motors.
ha! lower cost - yeah right! :)

ha! lower cost - yeah right! :)

Taxi companies are businesses and must consider the full cost over the lifetime of owning a car. Obviously, the fuel is much cheaper with a Tesla. So is maintenance with a simple electric motor and braking mainly done by taking one's foot off the accelerator and sending energy back to the battery. Those key components should be quite long lasting. The same for the body which is composed of non-rusting aluminum rather than steel. Resale value should be quite high. Even if the battery is degraded, future replacements for the used car owner are likely to be more powerful yet cheaper.

Taxi companies are businesses and must consider the full cost over the lifetime of owning a car. Obviously, the fuel is much cheaper with a Tesla. So is maintenance with a simple electric motor and braking mainly done by taking one's foot off the accelerator and sending energy back to the battery. Those key components should be quite long lasting. The same for the body which is composed of non-rusting aluminum rather than steel. Resale value should be quite high. Even if the battery is degraded, future replacements for the used car owner are likely to be more powerful yet cheaper.

Very often Taxi fare's are set by a commission. Fuels costs are a part of that but I highly doubt we'll see cheaper ride. Taxi companies will simply see increased margins leading to more EV buys.

However, even with battery swap, etc the costs for the Model S, a set of batteries and swap infrastructure probably isn't worth it in terms of savings VS gasoline.

Maybe in 5 years. But it's another piece of nice potential.

However, services like Uber are interesting propositions for this.

Very often Taxi fare's are set by a commission. Fuels costs are a part of that but I highly doubt we'll see cheaper ride. Taxi companies will simply see increased margins leading to more EV buys.

However, even with battery swap, etc the costs for the Model S, a set of batteries and swap infrastructure probably isn't worth it in terms of savings VS gasoline.

Maybe in 5 years. But it's another piece of nice potential.

However, services like Uber are interesting propositions for this.

Of course in a city like New York with $1 million taxi medallions, the price of a car is almost inconsequential.

Of course in a city like New York with $1 million taxi medallions, the price of a car is almost inconsequential.

I do believe that if you're building an EV for just utility, like a cab, with swapping they can in fact be far cheaper overall today even.

The battery is a fixed cost and will lost as long or longer than an engine in the conditions a taxi exposes a vehicle to. The cost of the EV itself without luxury is really cheap overall and the maintenance requirements are much, much smaller.

A big cost to cab companies is garage time and maintenance. Gasoline too. They've made a move to hybrids but that only solves the fuel issue and only by a bit. An EV would solve a lot of issues if done as a utility car. Especially if they took advantage of charging at lower demand times, like after midnight here.

I don't think Tesla has plans to move into this type of market though. At least not anytime soon.

I'm going to speculate that there's a big public event and Elon comes out in a cheesy jacket and they show how they can swap a couple batteries in a Model S in the same time it takes to fill a similar ICE with a tank of gas. It might have actual value but perhaps not. At the very least it garners pretty awesome media pub and brings more attention to the Tesla brand.

That was pretty awesome. Especially for town car / taxi service. Not a bad idea for certain high traffic corridors, but I think most of the value for owners is the concept that you just bought an "upgradable" car. Like in 90 seconds!

Buy the 60 now if you are not sure and you can always move up to the 85 if you want.

or buy the 85 and later if you want a bigger pack, you don't have to worry about having bought the wrong model.

also puts into perspective about elon's earlier quotes about buying the battery that best suits your normal driving and not worrying about range b/c they have it figured out.

between the patents and the execution Tesla is way, way, way far in front of the competition. Just think about what tomorrow morning is going to be like for the head of EV at BMW or the Panamera franchise head at Porsche.

A "complete" demo would show 3 splits:
1. gasoline with a cutout of the gas gauge
2. supercharger with a cutout of the rated range
3. swapper with a cutout of the rated range

They should synchronize the entry time and "stop the clock" when the swapper driver fastens his seatbelt as he prepares to drive away. At this point, there should be a zoom-in of the gauges and ranges of all 3 vehicles.
So they didn't show the 3rd split, but about in line with what I think we all expected here.

does anyone know if there is a physical difference between the 60kw and 85kw batterypack (more cells inside the 85kw) I start to believe that Tesla may just limited it with software to have a more efficient Batterswap infrastructure and have the option to charge the user for an anytime optional upgrade.
Does Tesla tell the weights of the different Models somewhere?
Also that would allow to have 60kw batteries that last extremly long 8-10 years.
80% capacity of a 85kw pack is still good the be a fully functional 60kw pack.

I found out some details; if anyone was there with more info, please feel free to chirp in.

1. Swapping will be started in the CA corridor by the end of the year and then out to the East Coast after that
2. Charge will be based on 15 gallons of gas at the prevailing price and will be charged to your credit card (on file)
3. You will need to pick up your battery on the return trip OR have it shipped back to you (for a price) OR pay the difference in the battery life (cost yet to be determined)