TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

June EV Sales

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mattjs33, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

U.S. EV (and other models of EV interest) sales for June, courtesy of Automotive News. Now including hybrids! (Sorry, dedicated nameplates only):

Chevrolet Volt - 1760
    Nissan Leaf - 535
    Mitsubishi i - 33
    Honda FCX Clarity - 0
    Mercedes-Benz F-Cell - 0
    Honda Insight - 494
    Honda CR-Z - 409
    Lexus CT200h - 1387
    Toyota Prius - 19,150

Year-to-date:

Chevrolet Volt - 8817
    Nissan Leaf - 3148
    Mitsubishi i - 333
    Honda FCX Clarity - 2
    Mercedes-Benz F-Cell - 7
    Honda Insight - 4041
    Honda CR-Z - 2404
    Lexus CT200h - 9446
    Toyota Prius - 126,654

Tesla, Fisker, Wheego and Coda do not report sales figures.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Looking at these numbers, it's easy to see how analysts can be skeptical of Tesla's plan to sell 20k/year

3. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

The Volt might make 20k for the year. I do hope the Model S gets that sort of demand.
    What's with the Leaf's #s? Are they still constrained by supply issues until the TN plant comes online?

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

It might be better to look at the sales numbers for the cars that TM is competing against like BMW 5-series, E class and A6 to see the potential demand.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yeah, maybe... I guess we'll have to see public perception first.

6. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Interesting idea.

Here you go:

June:

Audi A6/S6 - 1745
    BMW 5-Series - 5374
    Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 5589

Year-to-date:

Audi A6/S6 - 8584
    BMW 5-Series - 27,751
    Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 30,366

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So tesla needs to do a third of what the competition is doing. No small feat.

8. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Umm, depends on how you count that. You could also say that Tesla need to win 15% of the premium large sedan category, and that's defining the category narrowly (excluding the Audi A7, BMW 6-series, and anything from Jaguar, etc.). And, this is only the U.S.; Tesla's sales projections are global.

It would be very interesting to know what fraction of Model S buyers would otherwise have bought a premium large sedan. I suspect the number is less than 50%; IOW, Tesla is expanding the category.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think they might be starting a ramp down getting ready for the 2013 model update changeover.

Volt sales are up in part because they have California carpool access privileges now (with the new green plug-in-hybrid stickers.)

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

And there are people, such as myself, that would never ever by a 5 series type car normally that are purchasing a Model S.

11. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#11 Norbert, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Probably all the numbers above are US-only. BMW 5-series in 2010 was worldwide more than 210,000. (And BWM 7-series more than 65,000).

EDIT: changed 2011 to 2010 (don't know 2011 numbers).

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Mercedes Benz E-class in 2010 was 323,200, worldwide.

13. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Yes, these are U.S. numbers only.

Not really sure what's up with the Leaf. For what it's worth I've seen Volts every day for the last week, still only seen three Leafs in the wild. We don't have carpool lanes in Chicago (we're lucky when we get four lanes in one direction total), so that's not a factor here.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This is too limiting. You missed a lot of cars. Cadillac, Buick, Lexus, Infiniti? Why not the A7? BMW 7 series? Bigger cars? Tesla will be also vampiring off surrounding scale cars , especailly buyers who want more car for the same money. If they normally buy a non premium class they can now buy a premium Tesla because of the money savings in gasoline allows them to upscale. How about a $40K Ford Tarus?

15. Steph

Steph Member

The general wisdom is model S competes with 5 series or Mercedes of this world.

IMHO this assumption is wrong.

It competes with anything on four wheels. And the more your drive, the more affordable it is. It's a brand new paradigm:

The car is as good or better then a BMW 5 series but can cost nothing. (depending on how much you drive it)

16. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

The Madison Ave phrase: "the more you spend, the more you save," is not any truer today with Model S than it was back in the day.

That the TCO of Model S is is $57,000 less than the TCO of some gas guzzler doesn't make the Model S free.

The Model S is not free and costs more than nothing.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

+1, we can't use BS to "win the war" so to speak.

18. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Edit: heh, smorgasbord just beat me to it.

Ok, you've said this repeatedly and while I understand the genesis of the point, it's really bugging me.

The Model S is not free, period. It's lifetime cost of ownership may be such that it's substantially less than an equivalently priced ICE car, but that's far different from free. By continuing to say "free" you're discrediting yourself as a hyperbolic source, which is a shame because I like your enthusiasm.

19. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

It's clear to me that TM has a target a mile wide. I just hope they post their sales figures and don't wait for earnings announcements to cue people in. If they did show their sales figures, it would be hugely entertaining to see how quickly they overtake the EV's. If they don't, it will be a little harder, but totally doable, to figure out what cars the Model S is cannibalizing.

20. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

+1 on this, a point I was trying to make in the thread where I posted the May sales.

I only posted the figures for Audi, BMW and Benz for the simple reason that that was what was requested. I'm not going to (and I don't think anyone wants me to) reproduce the whole chart here. You could argue that a Bentley buyer might consider a Model S. That doesn't make a Continental GT as cross-shopped with the Model S as a 5-Series.

As far as the maintenance of a Model S over a comparable car; I've said this before here, and some don't want to see it, but there won't be that much difference, over the term that these types of buyers keep cars like this. Modern engines are fantastically well built, and last for several hundred thousand miles. So a Model S will skip some oil changes, and doesn't have emissions control systems. It DOES however have wheel bearing assemblies, ball joints, struts, brakes, and A/C compressor, power steering components, a cabin filter, light assemblies, a transmission, window regulator assemblies, motor mounts, a climate control system and God only knows how many sensors, switches and control modules. Oh and there's that 17" monitor right in the middle, that controls EVERYTHING, running unique software (can anybody say Fisker?). All of these components will be prone to failure or require service at some point, just as they do on every other car made.

By all accounts so far, the Model S is a fantastic car, and a remarkable achievement for Tesla. But to say that cost of ownership will be zero (or even close to zero) is naive.