Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June: no air suspension except 100D. July: air for all! wtf??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think Tesla just makes it up as they go along? The flip flopping with supercharging and now options is getting weird. Taking away air seemed like it must have some logic - until 4 weeks later they flip and take away coil springs. Starting to wonder if they even have an actual marketing department or if it's some bros playing beer pong at 2 am coming up with this stuff.

Looks to me like they decided to go all the way with air suspension, but wanted to get rid of the coils in stock.

Supercharging fees seems to be a response to locals blocking supercharging for long distance travelers, seeing it as "something free!!!". Tesla is trying to get a handle on how best to deal with it, and of course, it changes as they try different solutions.

It is not a nefarious plot. Tesla is trying to be fair, make a profit, etc., etc.

On the other hand, if you had got the Air then you'd just get pissed six months from now when the options changed again.

Glass half-full: You're ahead of the curve.

Why would I get pissed? I wanted air suspension and it wasn't an option at the time. Don't understand just like the OP of why air suspension was removed as an option on the 75 for 3 months and then brought back? It's not like it's some new feature.

I guess for less backlash they figured to discontinue it for a little and bring it back as being included instead of going from charging for air to including it for free.

Why would I get pissed? I wanted air suspension and it wasn't an option at the time. Don't understand just like the OP of why air suspension was removed as an option on the 75 for 3 months and then brought back? It's not like it's some new feature.

I guess for less backlash they figured to discontinue it for a little and bring it back as being included instead of going from charging for air to including it for free.
Have you taken delivery yet?

Looks to me like they decided to go all the way with air suspension, but wanted to get rid of the coils in stock.

It is not a nefarious plot.

I do think you yourself make the point that it actually kind of is a "nefarious" plot - the whole quarterly demand lever, product change strategy is a "nefarious" plot in the sense that Tesla is making constant changes that benefit Tesla and hinge on the customer taking delivery at a time that benefits Tesla (within quarter) and customer not knowing of changes coming right after (the next quarter). This is well oiled machine by now that maximizes locking customers into their purchases (with whatever relative caveats they have) while lining up the next set of changes to benefit Tesla right after (demand levers, inventory management etc.).

What makes this "nefarious" compared to the rest of the business is the sheer pace and frequency of it. Think if Apple changed iPhone many times each quarter instead of once a year. In addition, what makes it "nefarious" compared to the car industry is that the latter actually has an unlikely open history with future product changes (compared to, say, electronics), where informed customers actually can know about most product changes and/or their timing in advance. Finally, what makes it an extra tough pill as a customer is the cost and long delivery time that mean planning for these changes and fixing them afterwards from a customer perspective is all but impossible...

Tesla is trying to be fair, make a profit, etc., etc.

I don't think anything in recent times supports the notion that Tesla is trying to be fair with their product change strategy. Coming back with the free Supercharging demand lever alone proves that they are not trying to be fair. I do agree they are trying to make a profit.

I guess Tesla need to get rid of some standard suspension components before going for all air.

Same with the bigger charger that was also subject to this same exercise.

Then again, there is a perfectly good and fair strategy for diminishing existing stock you want to rid yourself of: offer it on discount. Those who want the better thing can get it (and the customer satisfaction that comes along with it), while those who opt for the lesser thing feel they got a good deal (and the customer satisfaction that comes along with it).

But Tesla doesn't care about such things, obviously, beyond whatever is needed to make people take delivery within quarter (that's why some cars are now getting "Showroom Discounts"). They run a logistics operation that is based on efficiency, short-term benefit for Tesla and the current quarterly numbers, but not on fairness or customer satisfaction.

Hey I got my 75D last October. Since then:
- AP2 (in Nov)
- Powered liftgate standard
- Performance upgrade
- Air included
- Premium package for sound/biohazard/lighting bundled
- High power charger

But I don't feel bad at all. I love to see the cars get better and better. I'll be getting my next Tesla (prob another Model S) in a few years, and at this rate it's going to be something special.

I go with aggressively managing inventory levels down

... probably in advance of a significant Model S refresh which may be on the cards to maintain sales once the Model 3 appears.

quoting my own post but might be worth observing that this could also be down to supply chain performance.

If Tesla were having problems with air suspension supply, then offer coils; coil suppliers then can't keep up, so offer air only until coil suppliers catch up.

Other manufacturers might well say an option is on a eg 12 week leadtime,
Tesla absolutely have to keep sales going for cashflow especially right now with the Model3 launch imminent so they dont have the luxury of deferring a few sales.

quoting my own post but might be worth observing that this could also be down to supply chain performance.

If Tesla were having problems with air suspension supply, then offer coils; coil suppliers then can't keep up, so offer air only until coil suppliers catch up.

Other manufacturers might well say an option is on a eg 12 week leadtime,
Tesla absolutely have to keep sales going for cashflow especially right now with the Model3 launch imminent so they dont have the luxury of deferring a few sales.

While not impossible, I'd chalk this idea more like wishful thinking. The very aggressive demand levers Tesla is playing and other recent history suggests to me this is far more likely about aggressive inventory management overall. I think I could believe this of the chargers, since there at least has been some longer history of supply issues there, but I just dont' see it with the air.

Sometimes you just have to go with the more likely scenario... Tesla IMO very likely used air suspension as a 100 kWh demand lever plus a 75 kWh inventory management exercise in Q2. Now in Q3 they are using air suspension as a Model S demand lever against Model 3 and have likely gotten the coil suspension parts stock down to a manageable level.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
^ concur - though I do also recall Tesla had a quality issue with air suspension some time back, something like that could cause a bit of a hiatus in supply forcing a switch.

I guess all I am saying is that on balance most likely inventory management, but could be other reasons too.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
^ concur - though I do also recall Tesla had a quality issue with air suspension some time back, something like that could cause a bit of a hiatus in supply forcing a switch.

I guess all I am saying is that on balance most likely inventory management, but could be other reasons too.

I appreciate it. I am always preaching how we must look things from many perspectives and your's is a beneficial additional one.

Reactions: GSP and thegruf
Active forums users should know by now that this is how Tesla operates. Often the config will even change between order and delivery of your car. Just have to be happy with what you bought, or wait until the you are happy with the config.
I predected that this would happend since 3 was comming up, so i desided to not buy S75 with coil as i really didnt want it,
and waited for air. I will though wait a bit longer to order because i think they are not done with updates to make the car better in response to 3. I think even more updates will come very soon.

Just have to be happy with what you bought, or wait until the you are happy with the config.

It's the third alternative, the #NeverTesla camp, that concerns me most. Is this level of product change pace and short-term logic in any way sustainable with regards to customer satisfaction and retention?

I know it certainly gives me pause in considering a new Tesla. The overall feeling personally is just one of relief I don't have to try to time one right now. That's a very odd feeling to have regards to an informed purchase, I can't think of any other product where I would have that feeling, outside of the stock market. Usually you know and find stuff out, at least make an estimate (when did the last one come out etc.).

With Tesla even if plans may leak, and/or you know the history and timing of changes well, their aggressive change pace (coupled with long delivery times especially internationally) means they may still change many things to better and to worse at a moment's notice. With Tesla you know nothing.

Last edited: