Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a bit sad with minor M3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I post anything here I’d have done all of the typical and usual stuff like reboot phone, reboot car, restart app, put phone in airplane mode and back on etc...
My phone proximity keyless entry NEVER works. I always have to touch the key card to B-pillar. Although I can open the app, wait for 10-30 sec for it to start, then hit “Start” car button, put my thumb on iPhone home button for confirmation and start the car that way all the time.. kinda a 7 step process though ;)
By the way my phone is working just fine and not a suspect. It has Bluetooth 4.1 which is a BLE.
Which iPhone do you have? I suspect you have iPhone 6 or earlier

Update -
“Deleting and re-adding iPhone as key and also as Bluetooth, then reinstalling and relogging into Tesla app IBM phone and rebooting iPhone” has made the proximity keyless entry work for one full day.
I think among the actions, the deletion of key in M3 might have done it.
But - car still remains locked until I do pull door handle.. it’s not that car unlocks on approach..!!

Charge port still continues to chirp nonstop every second. :( Appointment Thursday. Will keep posted.
But - can’t Tesla Mobile service fix this? I wish situation could be better than a car having to chirp 4 days before appointment time.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Your 3 is better than my 3...I experiencd rattles, screen goes blank, loss of speaker sounds, failed brake assist, problems with door seals, and issues with phone-key.

The issues you have are extremely minor...obviously we both would prefer a flawless car. But I guess this is what we should expect from an early build.

And I am not complaining about my build quality...but I think yours is better

Reactions: classicjoy
Update -
“Deleting and re-adding iPhone as key and also as Bluetooth, then reinstalling and relogging into Tesla app IBM phone and rebooting iPhone” has made the proximity keyless entry work for one full day.
I think among the actions, the deletion of key in M3 might have done it.
But - car still remains locked until I do pull door handle.. it’s not that car unlocks on approach..!!

Charge port still continues to chirp nonstop every second. :( Appointment Thursday. Will keep posted.
But - can’t Tesla Mobile service fix this? I wish situation could be better than a car having to chirp 4 days before appointment time.
Can you post a video of the charge port making the noise please? (I confess I didn't listen to the videos in the OP). Plus it would be good proof to show Tesla when you take it in for service.

That's because it was changed in a recent update to not unlock until you pull on the handle.

Oh thanks.
But for the only one day that it worked, I did not have to touch handle and car locked and unlocked based on approach.

1) Sadly after a day of working neither approach nor pulling on handle works. Such a high tech car and yet only they option is to approaxh all the way, take the wallet out, card out, touch it to B pillar. OR unlock phone -> go to Tesla app -> press unlock -> sit -> press start button on app -> put your thumb on phone -> ignore M3 warning that asks you to put card in place even if Phone is starting th car.

What was wrong with “RF” keyfob

2) my charge port still clicks nonstop since the day I have owned (or before?)..

3) the rubber lining around passenger door which I had to fight to get replaced and not repaired came lose! I don’t feel as if it’s new. In either case it should not come lose that’s quite bad story.

But for the only one day that it worked, I did not have to touch handle and car locked and unlocked based on approach.

Did you get an update in between? This was a recent change, and there's no specific order that you get updates in, but a service center can force an update. If you took it into service and they looked at something, they may have flashed the update, and the day before that it worked, then after that it no longer does.

What was wrong with “RF” keyfob

The X didn't have an RF fob, and I don't think later versions of the S did, either. They were Bluetooth. Sounds to me like your phone's Bluetooth stack is disabling the app because of too many failures. Running Android?

Reactions: classicjoy
Can you post a video of the charge port making the noise please? (I confess I didn't listen to the videos in the OP). Plus it would be good proof to show Tesla when you take it in for service.
Your 3 is better than my 3...I experiencd rattles, screen goes blank, loss of speaker sounds, failed brake assist, problems with door seals, and issues with phone-key.

The issues you have are extremely minor...obviously we both would prefer a flawless car. But I guess this is what we should expect from an early build.

And I am not complaining about my build quality...but I think yours is better

In no walk of life anyone should accept what you’re saying. You PAY so you’re the BOSS my friend, and location of where CEO sleeps shiws dedication but does not hold any value as argument for such quality.

Also, I agree and stated upfront my issues are minor (title...). But I paid. Don’t I get to decide? :)

Did you get an update in between? This was a recent change, and there's no specific order that you get updates in, but a service center can force an update. If you took it into service and they looked at something, they may have flashed the update, and the day before that it worked, then after that it no longer does.

The X didn't have an RF fob, and I don't think later versions of the S did, either. They were Bluetooth. Sounds to me like your phone's Bluetooth stack is disabling the app because of too many failures. Running Android?

iPhone is what I have.
I tried 6 and iPhone 7.