Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a Comparison (maybe some features that should get consideration in future model)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to Hyundai for a moment; having actually owned one from 2009-2011, I would agree that most people have an inaccurate view one them (unreliable, underpowered, econoboxes). However, while even the cheapest Hyundai has many standard features Model S lacks, those features are sometimes executed poorly. In the car I owned the USB port was flakey, as was the climate control. These were chief among the reasons I sold it for an Audi in 2011.

The upshot is this; a long list of features does not guarantee those features will work well. As someone else said, I would rather have fewer high-quality features than many low-quality ones. That said, I don't believe Tesla falls into the latter category yet, but would rather they focus their energy on getting there than strapping on gadgets just because everybody else does.

These kinds of comparisons are not really helpful in showing differences in value. When the first iPad competitors came out, they all had lengthy lists of features they had that the Apple product lacked. USB slots, more supported formats and whatnot. Then Apple continued to crush them in sales because their product was so much better in design and execution that the features list didn't matter.

Then Apple continued to crush them in sales because their product was so much better in design and execution that the features list didn't matter.
The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

Just one example:
1. It's easy to add parking sensors to a Model S. Hell, you can do that aftermarket and people already have.
2. It's damn near impossible to flatten the entire engine compartment of an ICE into a rectangular pancake that will fit under the passengers and increase the structural integrity of the vehicle. You can't do this aftermarket without fundamentally changing the vehicle itself.

These kinds of comparisons are not really helpful in showing differences in value. When the first iPad competitors came out, they all had lengthy lists of features they had that the Apple product lacked. USB slots, more supported formats and whatnot. Then Apple continued to crush them in sales because their product was so much better in design and execution that the features list didn't matter.

sure, but now they are dying,

Android commands 80% globally and apple is now less than 16% (smartphone space)
Apple was in the lead for tablets, now they fell drastically to 32% from 60+% in less than half a year. Android now has the 60% apple used too.
their computer's havent gone up or down for marketshare,

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...slow-apples-tablet-and-smartphone-marketshare

i just hope that Tesla doesn't go the way of apple in charging more for less and not innovating or being on par with competitors.

The most important factor affecting price is volume.
Hyundai sold 700K vehicles in the US in 2012, and 4.4 million worldwide.

If Tesla and Hyundai sold the same option on any car, Hyundai can sell it for less.
That's just going to be the way it is, accept it because Tesla offers other qualities Hyundai does not - or don't.

Unfortunately being at the wrong end of the size curve Tesla will always charge more for less, but will always innovate, and always offer something the others do not.

- - - Updated - - -

as 1 person, its pretty much useless unless you have so much money you can just buy everyone a Tesla

I believe the first step is to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That doesn't mean buy a Tesla, it means make a good choice with the resources you have. Nobody can do it all by themselves: you don't have to spend your life bailing - just as long as you stop drilling holes in the boat.
Tesla succeeding now may mean many many fewer people drilling holes in the boat in the years to come. Tesla may never sell enough EVs to make much difference, but they may change the industry enough to.

sure, but now they are dying,

Android commands 80% globally and apple is now less than 16% (smartphone space)
Apple was in the lead for tablets, now they fell drastically to 32% from 60+% in less than half a year. Android now has the 60% apple used too.
their computer's havent gone up or down for marketshare,

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...slow-apples-tablet-and-smartphone-marketshare

i just hope that Tesla doesn't go the way of apple in charging more for less and not innovating or being on par with competitors.

Even without all the doohickys of other vehicles (and yes, I'd like parking sensors and adaptive cruise control and a grab bar for my passenger), I can't think of any other car I'd rather drive.

To the other points: Musk has stated quite clearly that the goal of Tesla is to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles. It's not simply to sell more cars.

To continue with the iPad/Apple analogy: Hopefully the Model S/Tesla will follow the same path of being a truly disruptive force. If, some time in the future, 80% of vehicles are EVs and Tesla produces 16% of them, then I think that could easily be defined as "great success."