Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a story from my visit to Tesla Coral Gables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how informative this is and I don't draw any conclusions. But when visiting Tesla Coral Gables (was thinking about upgrading to X), I had an argument with sales lady who insisted that no matter when I bought my Model S (it's 2017, delivered in September) my supercharger is transferable to the new owner. She was so sure about it, so I just said - you know I can take your word for that, sell it with this promise and when free supercharger does not transfer blame her in this, but she was so sure that I had just to stop that conversation. I knew that if Tesla changed that policy it would be all over the internet, so I believe that sales person had no clue.

Not sure how informative this is and I don't draw any conclusions. But when visiting Tesla Coral Gables (was thinking about upgrading to X), I had an argument with sales lady who insisted that no matter when I bought my Model S (it's 2017, delivered in September) my supercharger is transferable to the new owner. She was so sure about it, so I just said - you know I can take your word for that, sell it with this promise and when free supercharger does not transfer blame her in this, but she was so sure that I had just to stop that conversation. I knew that if Tesla changed that policy it would be all over the internet, so I believe that sales person had no clue.

Hi Alex,

Consistent with the sales person, my understanding is that if you own a Tesla with free Supercharging and you sell your Tesla in a private sale that the free Supercharging conveys to the new owner.
Are you saying that you have proof that the Tesla sales person was incorrect regarding this policy?

Now, if you trade-in your Tesla to Tesla, then I believe when they resell the car it might not have free Supercharging to the new owner.

Larry

upload_2018-6-22_15-9-34.png

Hi Alex,

Consistent with the sales person, my understanding is that if you own a Tesla with free Supercharging and you sell your Tesla in a private sale that the free Supercharging conveys to the new owner.
Are you saying that you have proof that the Tesla sales person was incorrect regarding this policy?

Now, if you trade-in your Tesla to Tesla, then I believe when they resell the car it might not have free Supercharging to the new owner.

Larry

My Tesla page for a 2016 Model X states that it will transfer. I would really like to know the difference. See below:

"Supercharging

You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms."

My Tesla page for a 2016 Model X states that it will transfer. I would really like to know the difference. See below:

"Supercharging

You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms."
The difference is when you bought your car.

Correct.They were phasing out free supercharger. First they announced that they will give you one till the end of 2016. Then around january, they figured out that they will still give you one, but non-transforable and by referal only (was not hard to find the referal code)
Hi Alex,

I have to admit that I am confused. You stated that you received delivery in September, 2017 and your VIN number confirms that you have a 2017 Model S. The policy cutoff appears to be January 31, 2018. However, your Tesla account displays that you are not eligible for the transfer of free Supercharging to the next owner. If you are the original owner then it looks like your records are incorrect and need to be fixed. Like you, I received delivery of my Model S in 2017 and I have the same notation that Kutu posted.

Larry

Larry, the cutoff for transferrable Unlimited Supercharging is build date in January 2017, from what I've read before. Starting January 2018, Unilimited Supercharging stopped being "standard" on new purchases because it required a referral.

Hi Alex,

I have to admit that I am confused. You stated that you received delivery in September, 2017 and your VIN number confirms that you have a 2017 Model S. The policy cutoff appears to be January 31, 2018. However, your Tesla account displays that you are not eligible for the transfer of free Supercharging to the next owner. If you are the original owner then it looks like your records are incorrect and need to be fixed. Like you, I received delivery of my Model S in 2017 and I have the same notation that Kutu posted.

Larry

Larry, the cutoff for transferrable Unlimited Supercharging is build date in January 2017, from what I've read before. Starting January 2018, Unilimited Supercharging stopped being "standard" on new purchases because it required a referral.
The note in our Tesla accounts specifically states purchase date, not build date. The purchase date is the same as the delivery date. Even if it we're build date your car should still be eligible to transfer free Supercharging to the next owner, and your account record is still incorrect.

Larry

I should have said ordered, not delivered. Cutoff for order was second week of Jan 2017.

See this post
Lifetime supercharging?

In this thread
Lifetime supercharging?

The note in our Tesla accounts specifically states purchase date, not build date. The purchase date is the same as the delivery date. Even if it we're build date your car should still be eligible to transfer free Supercharging to the next owner, and your account record is still incorrect.

Larry

I should have said ordered, not delivered. Cutoff for order was second week of Jan 2017.

See this post
Lifetime supercharging?

In this thread
Lifetime supercharging?
Hi Anzir,

I see that a forum member posted that the cutoff was the second week of Jan 2017, but that's clearly not what Tesla is stating in their official notations on owners' Tesla Accounts. There is currently no mention of order dates, just purchase dates.

Larry