Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a warning to new Tesla owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also a private pilot, so I was starting to prepare for the worst.

This is about as close to running out of gas in a plane as I have every been!

You've been close to running out of gas in a plane?? if so, I hope you never take passengers, fly only over unpopulated areas.. and for your own sake get with a CFI on proper fuel planning.

Seriously, being a pilot means nothing to any of this and IMO makes us who are responsible pilots sounds like morons because we're flying around with nearly empty tanks. GA doesn't need any worse of a reputation.

This is about as close to running out of gas in a plane as I have ever been!

Means exactly that! I have NEVER been close to running out of gas! LOL
Being a pilot means a lot - I was making a point that ANYONE can make a mistake! It was written as a warning to help others. Not to demean YOU - me or any other pilots! Some people really need to take a breath. Next you are going to say you are perfect and can walk on water because you passed your check ride right? Because the world doesn't need any more cocky - "I'm better than you pilots" EITHER!

Rant over.
AJ

This is about as close to running out of gas in a plane as I have ever been!

Means exactly that! I have NEVER been close to running out of gas! LOL
Being a pilot means a lot - I was making a point that ANYONE can make a mistake! It was written as a warning to help others. Not to demean YOU - me or any other pilots! Some people really need to take a breath. Next you are going to say you are perfect and can walk on water because you passed your check ride right? Because the world doesn't need any more cocky - "I'm better than you pilots" EITHER!

Rant over.
AJ

As with the other sports and hobbies I participate in, I try to be an ambassador. I coach motorcycle racing so I encourage riders to be safe and push the limits off the roads. Same goes for flying, I take a lot of passengers, talk about the hobby a lot to perpetuate the idea that aviation is a hobby in reach of normal people. Btw, I'm far from perfect.

Your wording really sounded like you had been close to out of fuel in a plane.

Well being an Ambassador is pretty far from how you represented yourself with your first comment. This is case in point of why personal conversation is BY FAR better than reading. It leaves little important things like inflection and tone of voice to the imagination of the reader. (some readers have a chip on their shoulder) The analogy was trying to represent a "worst fear" situation that I could think of at the moment. Even a non-pilot understood the point I was attempting to make. I was so rattled by the trip and a couple of other incidents to the point that I couldn't sleep. I wrote the original at 3 am.

Continue your promoting other activities without demeaning other people involved. That would make you a true ambassador. I wont wait for an apology - I already know your type.

AJ

I am an owner since June and as many others this is my first experience with colder weather functioning. To be clear - I am a fan of the vehicle and any criticisms/observations should be perceived as constructive. I haven't read all the other threads regarding this topic but C. R. Moorehead used an eye-catching title for the thread. Frankly I am surprised that Tesla hasn't provided an improvement in the software upgrades. Many of you may have already figured out what I only recently learned - if so please bear with me.

The range displayed in the speedometer is based on a fixed Wh/mile of 305. You would think that Tesla would allow some adjustment through the settings to make this read out in real time. If you look at the "ENERGY" screen that C.R. has posted on #36 in the thread - that is my now ever-present lower screen when traveling with a couple of modifications. FIRST - on the right hand side labeled "Projected Range" I have the Average tab activated. (For some reason this resets to Instant when re-displaying). I then can toggle between 5, 15, or 30 mile "real time" data and use the Projected Range as my TRUE range.

To get a big picture of the data - I created a small chart showing the range based on 300 Wh, 350, and 400. You get about a 15% reduction in range (from the speedo) at 350 and a 30% reduction at 400. Take-away lesson here is that NONE of us should have had to learn this either from a "range anxiety" moment or sitting down with pencil and paper (or a spreadsheet). When I sent a message to my service folks I included a query regarding this topic which led me to perform the calculations and learn about the 305 built-in setting. All along I thought that the speedo (the design of the speedo could be an entirely new topic) was updating in Real Time!

I hope this adds to the discussion and helps others get a better understanding. TO REPEAT - it would have been really nice if Tesla explained this when delivering the vehicle or sent out "Bulletins" to owners periodically. Are they relying on TMC as crowd-supported tech support?

I am an owner since June and as many others this is my first experience with colder weather functioning. To be clear - I am a fan of the vehicle and any criticisms/observations should be perceived as constructive. I haven't read all the other threads regarding this topic but C. R. Moorehead used an eye-catching title for the thread. Frankly I am surprised that Tesla hasn't provided an improvement in the software upgrades. Many of you may have already figured out what I only recently learned - if so please bear with me.

The range displayed in the speedometer is based on a fixed Wh/mile of 305. You would think that Tesla would allow some adjustment through the settings to make this read out in real time. If you look at the "ENERGY" screen that C.R. has posted on #36 in the thread - that is my now ever-present lower screen when traveling with a couple of modifications. FIRST - on the right hand side labeled "Projected Range" I have the Average tab activated. (For some reason this resets to Instant when re-displaying). I then can toggle between 5, 15, or 30 mile "real time" data and use the Projected Range as my TRUE range.

To get a big picture of the data - I created a small chart showing the range based on 300 Wh, 350, and 400. You get about a 15% reduction in range (from the speedo) at 350 and a 30% reduction at 400. Take-away lesson here is that NONE of us should have had to learn this either from a "range anxiety" moment or sitting down with pencil and paper (or a spreadsheet). When I sent a message to my service folks I included a query regarding this topic which led me to perform the calculations and learn about the 305 built-in setting. All along I thought that the speedo (the design of the speedo could be an entirely new topic) was updating in Real Time!

I hope this adds to the discussion and helps others get a better understanding. TO REPEAT - it would have been really nice if Tesla explained this when delivering the vehicle or sent out "Bulletins" to owners periodically. Are they relying on TMC as crowd-supported tech support?
The rated range is your range based on energy usage in the EPA test cycle. Keep your energy usage at or below the "rated" line on the mini energy display and you'll get that range. To see your projected range based on recent driving, use the "projected range" in the energy app as you said. The two biggest factors reducing your range from the rated range are speed and cold.

Well being an Ambassador is pretty far from how you represented yourself with your first comment. This is case in point of why personal conversation is BY FAR better than reading. It leaves little important things like inflection and tone of voice to the imagination of the reader. (some readers have a chip on their shoulder) The analogy was trying to represent a "worst fear" situation that I could think of at the moment. Even a non-pilot understood the point I was attempting to make. I was so rattled by the trip and a couple of other incidents to the point that I couldn't sleep. I wrote the original at 3 am.

Continue your promoting other activities without demeaning other people involved. That would make you a true ambassador. I wont wait for an apology - I already know your type.

AJ
It's just my opinion, and you know the old saying, but I offer it with the best intentions and hope you'll consider it. I read your fuel comment the same way he did, and have no chip on my shoulder so far as I can tell. As you pointed out print is harder and there isn't immediate feedback to correct an understanding as its forming, so consider that you might be jumping to a conclusion about him, just as you think he did about you. Perhaps you are both much closer to thinking the same way than you thought, and it's just a sensitive subject to you both.

All that said, I appreciate the story. Would like to think I'd avoid the situation, but can definitely still see it happening, and will be more cautious now after reading your experience.

Your wording really sounded like you had been close to out of fuel in a plane.

As a pilot in some ways driving a Tesla long distances is like flying an airplane with fewer decent places to refuel. There is a technical aspect to it and yes unexpected weather.

In well equipped airplanes for piece of mind we have a fuel totalizer that say's something like you have say 3.4 hours of fuel left; which you then cross reference against the GPS that tells you that you have 2.2 hours enroute to your destination. Generally once you are in cruise if the amount remaining is less than an hour you generally pull the throttle back so you have that mandated hour of reserve when you get to your destination.

I agree with everyone the GPS mapping really could really be enhanced with the same functionality in evtripplaner with a couple extra fields Rated miles to go and Rated miles remaining at the destination.

As to Tesla hiring Ben; he should provide a back end service that updates the calculations when requested and get paid for it's usage. As part of the API the car would report outside temperature average speed, watt hours with location, which could then infer head or tail winds for a more accurate result.

PS. And yes most pilots sweat fuel all the time. I remember a flight where I got dragged down a very nice tailwind in the teens to a headwind by controllers two hundred miles from my destination. So much for having a turbo in my airplane.

AJ

It's just my opinion, and you know the old saying, but I offer it with the best intentions and hope you'll consider it. I read your fuel comment the same way he did, and have no chip on my shoulder so far as I can tell. As you pointed out print is harder and there isn't immediate feedback to correct an understanding as its forming, so consider that you might be jumping to a conclusion about him, just as you think he did about you. Perhaps you are both much closer to thinking the same way than you thought, and it's just a sensitive subject to you both.

All that said, I appreciate the story. Would like to think I'd avoid the situation, but can definitely still see it happening, and will be more cautious now after reading your experience.

As a pilot in some ways driving a Tesla long distances is like flying an airplane with fewer decent places to refuel. There is a technical aspect to it and yes unexpected weather.

Have to admit that I read the comment the same way. And I am pretty sure there is no chip on my shoulder (just came to this thread to read through it).

There was a time where I advocated the creation of a thread called "I Learned About Driving an EV From That" - sounds like this would be a good start to something like that, especially since we have so many pilots in our midst.

For what it's worth, everyone (and pilots in particular) should understand the importance of knowing their equipment - especially when choosing to cut it close. I appreciate you sharing your experience & your mistakes. Hopefully others will learn from that and not do the same thing.

Things that kill range:

1. Speed
2. Elevation
3. Cold

You had all three. Glad you made it!

The OP almost had all three.
Two of the three are beyond any driver's control: Elevation and Cold (temperature).
Wind (strong head-winds) can also really impact range, so there ARE three things beyond any diver's control.

Speed can be moderated so that it is not a deal breaker.
So what if you are only doing 50 or 45 mph uphill in the right-hand lane in the mountains?
What is so important that you cannot drive effectively?

I have driven thru Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Northern and Southern Cali (including uphill in the Summer to Quartzite before Indio was operational) and Northern Arizona using superchargers.
And Eastern North Carolina, Tennessee and Northern Alabama in my MS using Level 2 chargers.
I under-estimated the effect of elevation @ Green River, Utah and did not make that miscalculation a second time.

Be patient and get the full (or at least enough extra) range-charge, especially if you have access to a Supercharger.
When in doubt it is better to have a bit extra in your pack and actually arrive than to try to arrive 5 minutes faster and fall short of your destination.
The Rockies (and the Smokies) are NOT the Autobahn, so it is okay to alter (decrease) your acceleration on the uphill climbs.

I have to admit I never anticipated the incredible response to this post. I am happy that it got some attention just for the simple fact that it is truly easy to misjudge your actual vs. rated mileage. It was never in any way to demean anyone- in fact I point out that I made the mistakes so if anyone I am demeaning myself.

I simply want to help fellow owners comprehend - it's not like I was the only guy that underestimated this trip. As I mentioned someone COASTED in to the charging station not 10 mins. after I BARELY made it. The only bad thing I can think of is that all of the people passing 2 different Teslas headed southbound on I-15 that evening where thinking how terrible it must be to own one of those cars that weren't able to make the trip at the posted speed. I know for fact that at least 100 people passed me in my troubled times. None of those people are in this forum hearing the fact that it was me that misjudged the mileage and usage in colder weather.

I definitely agree that there should be some better tools built in to navigation - even a recommended charge number from one station to another in different temperatures. There is a great learning curve for everyone in anything new. Just remember that a little planning can go a long way!

Everyone owes it to themselves to check out evtripplanner.com I agree it should be implemented - It wouldn't be that hard to add current winds along routes and temperatures. In flying we have been doing it for years! When in doubt - charge more! It's no different than running a red light or speeding down a street too fast. A simple wrong decision can be devastating. If 1 more person learns from my mistake it was worth it! Because I sure learned a valuable lesson!

Safe driving and happy holidays!
AJ