Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Accepted To Beta (Early Release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tangentially related question: I wonder if the employee fsd testers get reimbursed if they get into a fender bender while doing the test. essentially doing company business with their own mostly self-funded personal car?

see, one of the things that would remove my hesitation about being a tester is that I'd want someone to cover the cost of repairs if AND WHEN there is a crash or even scrape.

part of me actually can't believe there are people taking these risks, right now, with their own $50k+ cars. not to mention putting others on the road at risk, who don't really want to take part of this Grand Experiment(tm).

I do think that the insurance coverage needs to be worked out in fine detail - before I'd want to put my expensive car at risk.

(and to make matters worse: these cars are not exactly quick or cheap to get fixed. lots of parts are on back order and most repair places wont touch teslas. so getting into an accident is even worse, in terms of the repair aftermath, than most other daily drivers).

I really do wonder how poppa elon has his kiddies covered, when they go out to play in traffic.

Early Access Program (EAP) is needed for FSD beta program, but getting into EAP doesn’t guarantee FSD beta. Tesla did expand the FSD program a few months ago to more than the initial 1k, but it looks like most weren’t social media influencers for that round. And yes, I know someone that got into EAP back in March (notified via email out of the blue), but didn’t get into FSD beta.

tangentially related question: I wonder if the employee fsd testers get reimbursed if they get into a fender bender while doing the test.
Getting paid for not doing a good job of monitoring the car? I doubt it.
see, one of the things that would remove my hesitation about being a tester is that I'd want someone to cover the cost of repairs if AND WHEN there is a crash or even scrape.
You are not a good candidate for FSD beta tester. If you don't have confidence you can monitor the car, then you shouldn't be using the tool. If you are tired or otherwise not in best shape then don't enable the tool. I'm not planning on letting FSD do unprotected left turns at busy intersections, but I very rarely come across those.

part of me actually can't believe there are people taking these risks, right now, with their own $50k+ cars.
There are plenty of people who are confident they can monitor the car and take appropriate action if it does the wrong thing. Perhaps the confidence isn't warranted since I've seen people running over curbs. There also people who have had accidents on regular autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbadger and 82bert
Getting paid for not doing a good job of monitoring the car? I doubt it.
I was wondering how the company would support and cover an employee who got his car damaged while on company business.

that's the gist of it. you can argue its the employee who is opting-in and I dont know the legal subtleties, but it seems that if you are an employee and not a contractor, and are on company time doing company work (research/devel in a very true sense) that they MUST have a special insurance deal. they must. else, who would voluntarily take on such a financial risk?

this is the unanswered question that I'm really curious about.

and that covers just the employees. it says nothing about the volunteers who are not employees and have no special insurance deal. (or do they?)

I was wondering how the company would support and cover an employee who got his car damaged while on company business.

that's the gist of it. you can argue its the employee who is opting-in and I dont know the legal subtleties, but it seems that if you are an employee and not a contractor, and are on company time doing company work (research/devel in a very true sense) that they MUST have a special insurance deal. they must. else, who would voluntarily take on such a financial risk?

this is the unanswered question that I'm really curious about.

and that covers just the employees. it says nothing about the volunteers who are not employees and have no special insurance deal. (or do they?)
Tesla employees are passionate about the company and understand risks. They will try it out. If it is too flaky they will use it less and wait for a future update. If I were an employee I wouldn't have qualms about testing it and I doubt employees do either. Some employees get company cars for testing.