Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just announced. 500k cars by 2018 instead of 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too high, they max out at 500,000 a year in Fremont in 2018, meaning 125,000 a quarter max. No way they'll do 200,000 in a quarter at Fremont.

I won't comment on accuracy of the phaseout numbers, They may get out Model 3s in Q4, 2017 to offset your overly large Q4 2018 so the rest may be a wash. Depends on when the 200,000 trigger occurs.
2018 Q1 - 50k delivered (West/Central existing Owners + West Preorders + Employees) Full $7,500 credit
Q2 - 75k delivered(East existing Owners + Central Preorders + West Post Orders) Full $7,500 credit
Q3 - 125k delivered(East Preorders + Central Post Orders + International) $3,750 credit
Q4 - 200k delivered (East Post Orders + New Orders) $3.750 credit
450k total delivered

All this fails to take the US vs the rest of the world into account.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
It's phenomenal... almost too good to be true o.o
Is it possible that Tesla had already secretly started making some M3's (non-protos)? or is almost ready to go into production already?
Unlikely since the target date for parts from suppliers and internally is pegged for July 1, 2017: Tesla sets July 1st 2017 as deadline for Model 3 parts with suppliers and internally

However, that same article also quotes Elon as saying that he wants tooling designs finalized by next month and the tools completed in 9 months. So, it is moving along at a really good clip.

I need some help. The shareholder letter said, "500,000 total unit build plan (combined for Model S, Model X, and Model 3) to 2018", which sounds like a cumulative number of cars built, not a 500k/yr rate of production. Most of the stories online say 500k/yr, as above, but I read the the quote differently.

Here's an article that interprets it the same as me: Tesla wants to build 500,000 cars two years sooner than planned. "500,000-cars-made milestone" is a total not a rate.

These are VERY different kinds of numbers!

Reactions: bhzmark and Carl
I think pushing Model 3 out asap is a good move for many reasons:

• Builds convincing case for capital rise
  • Allows Model 3 enter German market while EV credits are still in effect (which means that BMW and MB will be subsidizing Model3!)
  • Also opens up other markets that exuded Model S and X from EV incentives (like Denmark)
  • Will sell more cars in China
  • Makes GM sad

Last edited:
It's phenomenal... almost too good to be true o.o
Is it possible that Tesla had already secretly started making some M3's (non-protos)? or is almost ready to go into production already?
I'm confident they won't make any production vehicles until after Reveal 2. It's best to leave themselves some room to adjust if something in Reveal 2 generates a lot of negative social chatter.

Reactions: dhanson865
I wonder if we will see part 2 of the reveal earlier due to this? Maybe early next year instead of later?

so we all got played.

in a good way.

if the car will be finalized in 3-6 weeks (where are you seeing transcripts of the call...?), then the prototypes we saw barely 5 weeks ago weren't Alphas....they were likely Bravo prototypes.

OR....they were Alphas, to throw us all off...while the Bravos were undercover in the indoor proving grounds.

Maybe now with this particular cat out of the bag, we'll start seeing Bravos in the wild.

I need some help. The shareholder letter said, "500,000 total unit build plan (combined for Model S, Model X, and Model 3) to 2018", which sounds like a cumulative number of cars built, not a 500k/yr rate of production. Most of the stories online say 500k/yr, as above, but I read the the quote differently.
I think they really mean 500,000 units built (all three models combined) in 2018, as difficult as that is to believe. Note that they also talk about "increasing production five fold over the next two years."

Reactions: Colsla