Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just another disappointing aftermarket experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having now read the replies in this thread along with the photos it is clear that Mark has changed the original wood grain console from the one I hadn’t bought from him in 2018. At that time, it was simply a peel off adhesive. He was one of the first ones to market with this product and I really liked how it turned out. Apparently, he has over thought it and tried an actual wood product that does not work.

Having now read the replies in this thread along with the photos it is clear that Mark has changed the original wood grain console from the one I hadn’t bought from him in 2018. At that time, it was simply a peel off adhesive. He was one of the first ones to market with this product and I really liked how it turned out. Apparently, he has over thought it and tried an actual wood product that does not work.

Yes, the new one is actual wood veneer bonded to thin aluminum sheets. Mark claims it’s the exact same wood veneer as Tesla uses on the dash. It was an exact match in person.

The problem with the veneer panels is that they can’t account for the tolerances present in car manufacturing. An example from my kit: the cup holder piece was JUST a little too wide at the cup holder cutout. And I mean JUST...maybe 1/64”. But that was enough to keep the panel from just dropping down, it kept wanting to pop up. I emailed RPM and they said it would be fine. I’m sure that what led to the lifting and cracking on that piece.

The trapezoid piece had a bow in it. Again, I sent a pic before install. They said it would be fine. Well, we know how that worked out, haha!! The trapezoid piece is almost impossible to properly tape down in any event. And even if you could tape it properly, that bow would forever be putting pressure on the panel to lift.

And once the panels lift, they catch the adjacent panels and the chipping starts (since the veneer is so thin). And remember, this all happened within 12 hours of install, haha!! There’s no way this would last in a car being driven and parked in the sun.

We too haven't had significant problems with RPM Tesla. Our first order took a little while to arrive but we hadn't even taken delivery of our MY yet so not a problem. Our second order came quickly and the only "problem" was the free tire valve caps were mismatched but still useable.

Tesla Valve Caps.jpg

I sent them an e-mail and haven't heard anything, but they were free so I didn't sweat it.

Did not have any issues until this last month. Orders took weeks just to ship, but I was willing to be patient and tolerant. The products that we bought (3d floormats), pedal covers etc, were all fine. As soon as we had a problem with a product they became an interesting vendor. Arrogant, condescending, and dismissive. Have already placed a CC dispute, and obviously will not be spending money with these people again. In all, they were well aware that in the last 3 months, we spent more than 1500 USD with them and had inquired about products that would have easily cost another 1K to 1.5K. But they seemed/seem rather unconcerned. It isn't what they did/do, it has a lot also do with how they do it. But, it is amazing how the market corrects. Based on this thread alone, I have found alternatives to things that RPM sells. My gain, their loss.

Abstract Ocean is a huge disappointment. I bought a center console shell (white) has black specks in it. I have been trying to get a reply for 2 weeks for a replacement or return... just crickets. There is no way now I would recommend anything from them.

I saw carbon fiber overlays on RPM for the Model S. I was ready to buy but not after reading this.
Any one buy from another vendor?
If so which one please?
Mine looked good for 6 months then, I guess with the summer heat, it turned into this. Sorry RPM, it isn't just that it needs to be removed and repositioned, it has gone wavy (look at bottom edge). I ruined the wood dash trying to reposition and the sticky tape is no longer any good so I can't even cover it again. RPM promised to mail me some more double sided tape, which they never did.
IMG_20200907_120914.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
Mine looked good for 6 months then, I guess with the summer heat, it turned into this. Sorry RPM, it isn't just that it needs to be removed and repositioned, it has gone wavy (look at bottom edge). I ruined the wood dash trying to reposition and the sticky tape is no longer any good so I can't even cover it again. RPM promised to mail me some more double sided tape, which they never did.View attachment 599846
WOW! Sorry to say that looks bad. For sure i won't be using them for anything. I watched youtube videos of CK wraps. I will attempt to carbon fiber wrap. In my youth I tinted mine and some friends windows pretty decent.
For the price it's worth a shot. Maybe have yours wrapped? Feel bad for you really.

Good thing I read this. I live under ten miles from RPM and awaiting our MY. I stopped by their shop which was filled with Tesla's getting all sorts of aftermarket work done. I was considering using them for my exterior protection package and was also going to buy some of the interior accessories they sell, since they would install them for free. Besides the Jedda equivalent which he told me he could find one for me, I was considering getting the white PVC center console overlays (If you have these installed or have seen them installed, chime in with your comments) and their upgraded lighting package. I guess my advantage is that they are minutes away and if they do the work and it does not work out, they will be replacing/reworking. All these comments do give me second thoughts

Good thing I read this. I live under ten miles from RPM and awaiting our MY. I stopped by their shop which was filled with Tesla's getting all sorts of aftermarket work done. I was considering using them for my exterior protection package and was also going to buy some of the interior accessories they sell, since they would install them for free. Besides the Jedda equivalent which he told me he could find one for me, I was considering getting the white PVC center console overlays (If you have these installed or have seen them installed, chime in with your comments) and their upgraded lighting package. I guess my advantage is that they are minutes away and if they do the work and it does not work out, they will be replacing/reworking. All these comments do give me second thoughts
If their installs are anything like there service your car will likely be there for 9 months! Worst Tesla experience yet.

Abstract ocean has been AMAZING.

I have ordered about 95% of my aftermarket items from them and they were all fantastic quality with excellent customer service. Their team has always been very responsive.

Unless it’s a very specific item they do not carry, I try to exclusively use AO for my aftermarket accessories. Seriously can not recommend them enough
I second this. AO has been awesome for everything I’ve bought from them.

Abstract Ocean is a huge disappointment. I bought a center console shell (white) has black specks in it. I have been trying to get a reply for 2 weeks for a replacement or return... just crickets. There is no way now I would recommend anything from them.
This is the first time I’ve personally heard of anyone having an issue with AO. And it’s certainly not my experience with them over probably 15 transactions. During business hours they even have live chat—try that, they’ve always gotten back quickly on there even if they can’t chat right away.

WOW! Sorry to say that looks bad. For sure i won't be using them for anything. I watched youtube videos of CK wraps. I will attempt to carbon fiber wrap. In my youth I tinted mine and some friends windows pretty decent.
For the price it's worth a shot. Maybe have yours wrapped? Feel bad for you really.
Yeah, I'm looking into wrapping. I got some wood repair stuff that almost hides the damage to the wood. Weighing my options. I have a white model 3 so the white panel from a white interior is also an (expensive) option.

a friend with a nice model 3 has abstract ocean's floor mats. his enthused recommendation of AO and the quality of his mats were enough to convince me to buy AO's matte screen protector for my Y. their brilliant install frame made the install easy, no question about it and the screen solved the reflection problem completely.
then had excellent communication with AO after the screen install regarding getting the AO floor mats. but eventually they wrote to say they sadly had to give up on getting their own made and decided to sell the tesmanian. they wrote to say their own supplier is just too unreliable.
you have to wonder whether that is the problem all the little companies have. unreliable, long distance, not a nearby time zone, language difficulties and relatively small orders make it near impossible to get a supplier to pay enough attention. the people this side of the water have little control over quality because they don't see what they're getting until it gets dumped on their doorstep. they're stuck with what was delivered, so to pay their own bills they have to try and sell the not good enough product to us, hoping it will work. eventually there will be a sugaring off of the non-responsive companies
as a company i highly recommend abstract ocean. tesmanian, the company and their website, have been communicative and positive. waiting for their mats now to arrive at my steps.

one more thing. i don't believe or regard with trust most of the youtube 'influencers' trying to get us to buy tesla add-on bits, no matter who they're touting. (nor what they're complaining about.)
forums like teslamotorsclub mean a lot more to me.

Reactions: Krock65
I was almost about to pull the trigger on Jeda's USB hub then was reading some comments down on electrek article saying nothing gets shipped; then swapped to an Amazon hub provider immediately - you can search on amazon for equivalents.
Sorry Jeda as much as I want to give you my business for coming up with an awesome design but that overwhelmingly negative comments just did it - agreed that no good recommendations can compensate for the fact that the items are not shipped for so many customers.

Where was this thread when I was dealing with RPM Tesla? They are the absolute worst aftermarket company to deal with. My order took over two months to arrive and I had to return multiple parts because of defects and imperfections. Their customer service is 2-3 people that alternate between weekdays and weekends that respond to your email after 4-5 business days. Take precaution if you plan to buy anything from them.

Here is what I purchased.

Model Y Carbon Fiber Dashboard Replacement (Matte)
Carbon Fiber Molded Turn Signal Covers for AP2+
Model Y Center Console Molded Carbon Fiber Cover Gen 2.
Model Y Wind Noise Reduction Kit
Model Y Road Noise Reduction Kit Gen 2.

Total: $1202

Mine looked good for 6 months then, I guess with the summer heat, it turned into this. Sorry RPM, it isn't just that it needs to be removed and repositioned, it has gone wavy (look at bottom edge). I ruined the wood dash trying to reposition and the sticky tape is no longer any good so I can't even cover it again. RPM promised to mail me some more double sided tape, which they never did.View attachment 599846

God that fake carbon fiber looks awful. Just order the real cover.

I have had mixed results with RPM Tesla merchandise - but that's to be expected to some extent because most of this aftermarket stuff is, as someone mentioned, "cheap China crap". On the other hand, I have been able to reach them by phone and email and they have been quick to offer refunds on whatever I was not happy with, so I think that's a plus for them compared with some other online retailers.