Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just because Teslas can (but beware the reputation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be an ownership issue.

There a lot of M3's on company car schemes/leased/ pcp'd.

Any company car drivers I have ever known drive like complete and utter bell-ends which amazes me as they rely on their licence for their living.

I'm on another forum for Boxsters and this same topic emerged recently so it may actually be true, maybe all the bell-end Audi & BMW drivers are shifting to Tesla?
Maybe that's it. I remember that many of the reps & sales managers where I used to work aspired for the hottest BMW they could have. A Model 3P will quite easily outperform virtually all the M models & the LR most of them

BMW 0-60 Times | BMW M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, X3, X5, X6 and 335i

Here is a man that I bet has a cybertruck on preorder... ;)

Ha ha not for me! I don't care for the styling, and when I drive my diesel truck it's usually hauling 10,000+ lbs for >500 miles. I can't imagine how much battery that would consume!
I think we're still a decade out until there's an equivalent. Not to mention the infrastructure to charge a truck with a 5th wheel behind or in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Ha ha not for me! I don't care for the styling, and when I drive my diesel truck it's usually hauling 10,000+ lbs for >500 miles. I can't imagine how much battery that would consume!
I think we're still a decade out until there's an equivalent. Not to mention the infrastructure to charge a truck with a 5th wheel behind or in a reasonable amount of time.

4.5 tonnes.... wow... What are you hauling if I may ask?

Could it be an ownership issue.

There a lot of M3's on company car schemes/leased/ pcp'd.

Any company car drivers I have ever known drive like complete and utter bell-ends which amazes me as they rely on their licence for their living.

I'm on another forum for Boxsters and this same topic emerged recently so it may actually be true, maybe all the bell-end Audi & BMW drivers are shifting to Tesla?
Can confirm I am a bell-end Audi driver and have ordered a Tesla.

One of the worrying things (for me anyway) about the move to EV and automotive tech, in general, is that the capabilities, speed and acceleration of EV's is a huge step up from most ICE. You can now buy for £45K a car with the performance of one that used to cost 80k a scant 3 years ago. In some ways that is great and fun and all, and yet in others it the thought of more and more cars with the performance of 00's supercar is scary as heck.

Yes, safety is improved, but the training a driver receives in order to be able to control one of these near 2 ton beasts hasn't. Not that I am perfect by any means but I have been driving performance cars long enough to know that adding more of them without sufficient training and the right attitude is just... dangerous regardless of marque

One of the worrying things (for me anyway) about the move to EV and automotive tech, in general, is that the capabilities, speed and acceleration of EV's is a huge step up from most ICE. You can now buy for £45K a car with the performance of one that used to cost 80k a scant 3 years ago. In some ways that is great and fun and all, and yet in others it the thought of more and more cars with the performance of 00's supercar is scary as heck.

Yes, safety is improved, but the training a driver receives in order to be able to control one of these near 2 ton beasts hasn't. Not that I am perfect by any means but I have been driving performance cars long enough to know that adding more of them without sufficient training and the right attitude is just... dangerous regardless of marque
I have considered this point myself, but then realised that having lots of money doesn't make you a better driver by any stretch of the imagination.

I suspect most future electric cars won't have the insane performance of Teslas. In fact, most new cars coming to market have 0-60 times in the 5 to 8 seconds which is admittedly no slouch but also far from being supercar performance.

money doesn't buy you training though - how many supercar owners are advanced drivers? Opening that performance up to more peopel will be more risk yes, but thats purely a numbers game. I woudln't necessarily expect the ratio of good:bad drivers to be that different from those that already drive high performance cars, just that the overall number goes up so the bad drivers will naturally too.

The only consolation to the increase in performance of EV's overall is that the faster you go, accelerate and on a longer trip than the range of the EV, the later you arrive.

Do you mean that if you drive faster on a longer trip than a "careful" driver you will have to charge more so will arrive later? That's true of course, but I think the issue here is more likely to be traffic light GP, dangerous overtaking moves and the like - just general bad driving really.... add in superfast performance and the opportunity for error, particularly in the inexperienced driver, increases dramatically. And these situations I would argue, are likely to occur more often in built up areas where there is an increased chance of harm to others.

Reactions: Exy1
4.5 tonnes.... wow... What are you hauling if I may ask?
We've got a 5th wheel camper, and a 4-Seat General side by side I double tow. It can range from 10k to 14k depending on what we bring on the trip. My diesel truck is no hot rod, but you wouldn't believe how easy it tows that. We sit in 6th gear (auto) on cruise control and never have to do a thing. We target semi-truck fuel stations so I can pull right through. It's about as easy as can be with moving that much weight.

Reactions: Yev000 and Jez_GB
hence the insurance premiums will go sky high the more are on the road and in hands of boy racers spoiling it for others, only time will tell
Maybe Tesla insurance will be a thing by then. I had to change the car and address on my policy when I got the new LR... +£600 - till September.

The policy document reads £1500...

This is with max no claims. SR+ was £700 to insure for the year.

Maybe Tesla insurance will be a thing by then. I had to change the car and address on my policy when I got the new LR... +£600 - till September.

The policy document reads £1500...

This is with max no claims. SR+ was £700 to insure for the year.

Makes you wonder what the other factors are that influence EV insurance. Reliability? Experience in an EV previously?

The only consolation to the increase in performance of EV's overall is that the faster you go, accelerate and on a longer trip than the range of the EV, the later you arrive.

Surprisingly, so long as there are Superchargers readily available, this isn't necessarily the case! You can charge at a Supercharger very much faster than you can drive so it is technically feasible to arrive quicker by driving faster... more of a thought experiment ... don't do it ... but I tried settings on Abetterrouteplanner and it appears to be true .. 95mph down the M74- M6 with 2 short SC stops is faster than 70mph with only 1 !

Reactions: Jez_GB