Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just because Teslas can (but beware the reputation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly, so long as there are Superchargers readily available, this isn't necessarily the case! You can charge at a Supercharger very much faster than you can drive so it is technically feasible to arrive quicker by driving faster... more of a thought experiment ... don't do it ... but I tried settings on Abetterrouteplanner and it appears to be true .. 95mph down the M74- M6 with 2 short SC stops is faster than 70mph with only 1 !
Sometimes works with tyres in F1 as well.

I think someone had tested this in Germany and that was their conclusion as well....
Provided you can drive at 100mph+ most of the way and have superchargers en route, of course :)

You'd need to have an average speed of that, not peaks. Maybe if you drove at 2 am but I know it's hard to maintain an average of 70mph over any real distance in the UK. 15 years ago (prior to speed camera infestation) I'd sometimes need to go into the office 68 miles away, with all but 2 miles on the motorway. I only managed to average 70mph twice with every other average being less than that, and also I was travelling outside of rush hour.

The only reason people will say this is because on the rare occasion someone sees a Tesla (Compared to other cars) then they remember the actions more, it will change as more people get the Model 3 and also get bored/accidents/tickets.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I've ridden motorcycles my whole life. Fast ones, slow ones, big, small, pavement, dirt, etc... There are stigmas that come with every single one. When I'm on my fast bike, I use up that performance and enjoy it. My logic is, if I'm not putting anyone else in danger or harassing anyone (I'm not the harassing type), I largely feel like they can go pound sand.

It is an interesting point of view though. I live in a very rural area. For whatever reason, I get harassment by guys in rusty pickup trucks pretty often. Couldn't tell you why. I just ignore them.
Be careful! Remember what happened to Peter Fonda in easy Rider!