TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Just been asked by a survey company "why do I drive an EV"?, so here's my response.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by nexsuperne101, Jun 8, 2016.

1. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

Apr 12, 2016
    London, England
    Hello Alexandra,

As kind as the offer of £80 for an hours chatting is, time is something I don't have much of (so I am writing this in my lunch break).
    As for why do I drive electric? well, I had a diesel pick up truck until a year ago. It was involved in an accident and so I had to replace it.

I had seen the Nissan Leaf, had a test drive and it suited my needs, as I was working on a contract 50 miles from home for the next couple of years.

The 80 mile realistic range was easily enough, as I could charge on site. The room for my tools and fold-away ladders in the boot (trunk) was sufficient.

The cost was only £11,600 as I was the 2nd owner with 3,000 miles on the clock and just 14 months old.
    Performance was acceptable (although not anywhere near a Tesla) and if driven at 70mph, will achieve 60 miles to a charge (50mph will get 85-90 miles). Most petrol or diesel cars are still trying to find 1st gear whilst I'm 300 feet past the traffic lights.

If nothing else, the financial implications are huge. I average 25000 miles a year, so just on diesel costs, I am £5500 a year better off, then there is no congestion charge (which you pay if you drive into London) and no road tax.
    Total savings just this year are c£7000.
    In 18 months, the car will owe me nothing, and still easily have enough value to put a few thousand towards the Model 3 when it arrives.

One thing for certain, I will never go back to petrol or diesel. The pollution that comes belching out of those internal combustion engines is disgusting.
    If you ever get the chance, take a hot air balloon flight. As you go up past 5000 feet, there is a silver line. Below this line is all the rubbish we breathe every day.

One day, if the EV's continue, this carcinogenic pollution will be gone.

I have even put a load of solar with an off grid battery system on the house to charge the car and run the house as well. Like a "Powerwall" but had mine 15 years already :)

The Model 3 is a natural progression. It is quicker (0-60mph), faster top speed, at least twice the range and so much better looking than the Leaf (and quite a few others).

I don't mind a 2.5 year wait from when I put my £1000 down. It will be worth it.

• Like x 10
  2. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Sep 29, 2015
    CA, United States
    Well written!

I've only had my Gen2 Volt for about 4 months now, and was a diehard gearhead before getting it. Probably the highest compliment I can pay EVs is when driving mine the thought often goes through my head, "Why didn't we start doing this years ago?"
    • Like x 2
  3. Jayc

Jayc Member

Mar 28, 2016
    @nexsuperne101, if all goes well we should not have to wait for 2.5 years which is even better.
    • Like x 2