Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just been asked by a survey company "why do I drive an EV"?, so here's my response.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Alexandra,

As kind as the offer of £80 for an hours chatting is, time is something I don't have much of (so I am writing this in my lunch break).
As for why do I drive electric? well, I had a diesel pick up truck until a year ago. It was involved in an accident and so I had to replace it.

I had seen the Nissan Leaf, had a test drive and it suited my needs, as I was working on a contract 50 miles from home for the next couple of years.

The 80 mile realistic range was easily enough, as I could charge on site. The room for my tools and fold-away ladders in the boot (trunk) was sufficient.

The cost was only £11,600 as I was the 2nd owner with 3,000 miles on the clock and just 14 months old.
Performance was acceptable (although not anywhere near a Tesla) and if driven at 70mph, will achieve 60 miles to a charge (50mph will get 85-90 miles). Most petrol or diesel cars are still trying to find 1st gear whilst I'm 300 feet past the traffic lights.

If nothing else, the financial implications are huge. I average 25000 miles a year, so just on diesel costs, I am £5500 a year better off, then there is no congestion charge (which you pay if you drive into London) and no road tax.
Total savings just this year are c£7000.
In 18 months, the car will owe me nothing, and still easily have enough value to put a few thousand towards the Model 3 when it arrives.

One thing for certain, I will never go back to petrol or diesel. The pollution that comes belching out of those internal combustion engines is disgusting.
If you ever get the chance, take a hot air balloon flight. As you go up past 5000 feet, there is a silver line. Below this line is all the rubbish we breathe every day.

One day, if the EV's continue, this carcinogenic pollution will be gone.

I have even put a load of solar with an off grid battery system on the house to charge the car and run the house as well. Like a "Powerwall" but had mine 15 years already :)

The Model 3 is a natural progression. It is quicker (0-60mph), faster top speed, at least twice the range and so much better looking than the Leaf (and quite a few others).

I don't mind a 2.5 year wait from when I put my £1000 down. It will be worth it.

Regards,